Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was petting Penny as she lay on her side. I felt 'something' on her ribs. It is about the size of the palm of my hand and is between her ribs and the skin. It feels most like a 2x4 inch blob of fat, 1/2 inch thick. Could that be? Or.....:(

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
No sure how old Penny is, but as Maggie got older she had several. They vet said they were fatty tumors and nothing to worry about. We had a couple aspirated to be sure.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She'll be 10 on Tuesday. She has a few that are like peas or marbles under the skin. I was just surprised that this one was wider and flatter, squishier too. It does sound like fat, doesn't it.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Carmella had some fatty lipomas that were pretty large, some about the circumference of a small orange. I'd still have a vet check it out though.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
She'll be 10 on Tuesday. She has a few that are like peas or marbles under the skin. I was just surprised that this one was wider and flatter, squishier too. It does sound like fat, doesn't it.
the fatty blob sounds like a lipoma or fatty tumour... very common, worth aspirating to be sure thats what it is but I wouldnt remove them as they are always just clumps of fat and why put the dog through surgery for something that is not going to be a problem

that having been said...

the small peas and marbles under the skin THOSE WOULD concern me and I would want to have them looked at if they haven't been already... and perhaps have one or two removed and biopsied.... especially if they feel attached ....

just my two cents as always

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
the fatty blob sounds like a lipoma or fatty tumour... very common, worth aspirating to be sure thats what it is but I wouldnt remove them as they are always just clumps of fat and why put the dog through surgery for something that is not going to be a problem

that having been said...

the small peas and marbles under the skin THOSE WOULD concern me and I would want to have them looked at if they haven't been already... and perhaps have one or two removed and biopsied.... especially if they feel attached ....

just my two cents as always
I agree with everything here. Was going to say that the palm-sized one DOES sound like a fatty lipoma - and that I would have a needle aspiration done just to be sure. It's easy and quick, and then you don't need to worry about it. The side is a very common area for these to occur - Tesia has one there. On the front of their chest is also common. (Tee has one there, too).

The harder peas/marbles... has your vet looked at those? Now, Tesia has a pea under the skin right in the middle of her forehead, like between her eyes - and the vet says it is likely an inflamed follicle, and is totally unconcerned. It hasn't grown, and it doesn't hurt (which I know becasaue I'm always poking at it to be sure it hasn't grown). So they could be absolutely nothing. But I'd still have them looked at to be sure.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
totally agree with everyone else, sounds like a lipoma but worth having it checked out!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts