Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 9 month old boy has a strange itchy rash around both of his eyes. No other rashes on his body. He just recently started eating a mix of Wellness large breed puppy and Merrick Wilderness blend. He is allergic to fleas, but started on Comfortis 2 weeks ago and I have not seen a flea since then during his nightly comb down. I also use a topical for ticks and mosquitoes, Vectra 3D. Has anyone's dog had something like before? The vet is coming to my house to do a check up on my new puppy on Wednesday and I will have her look at Phelps' eye at that time. In the mean time is there anything I can do relieve the itching?

Attachments

·
Registered
21,128 Posts
are you sure it itches, or does it just look itchy? How much does it itch?
What comes to mind right away is demodex mange that's starting to have a slight secondary skin infection. Typically that's only mildly itchy, not horrible itchy like some other things.
I'd probably see the vet tomorrow, just to be on the safe side....

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
Check with the vet. Those are excellent photos, but I have no idea except Entropian eyelashes and it doesn't really look like that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would say slightly itchy. I have seen him scratch at it but he is not constantly scratching. I had a Pointer with demodex, he had it BAD and never outgrew it. He had it allover his face, neck and in between his paws, it would get infected and he always smelled so bad. Nothing we ever gave him helped. I thought demodex presented early on in a pups life.

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
I thought Abby had demodex at one point, but it was just allergies. She had the same red eyes and spots on her face. So maybe a staph infection? Check with the vet.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Time for a skin scrape to be sure. Usually demodex isn't itchy. Most puppies, if they get it, never get it again. Unless their immune system gets compromised. If they get it as adults, it's more of a problem.

It could be that your pup just got into some sort of pollen that is irritating.

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
otis once jumped into the canal, never got chance to stop him.

his eyes were red and looked very sore, but after a week it went away. no probs now.

dont know if your boy has done anything similar?

·
Registered
21,128 Posts
mild itchy does sound like demodex. Usually in a puppy under about 18 months it's no big deal, most clear up on their own.

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
I don't know what might be bothering your pup, but wanted to say I hope the Vet gives you an answer on Wednesday and that Phelps is feeling better soon. Ike has food and seasonal allergies, I feed him Merrick's Wilderness Blend also, he has done excellent on it, no more itchy ears, eyes, or coat. I do give Ike benadryl when his seasonal allergies flare up...which they did this past Spring. Another good food I feed Ike is The Honest Kitchen Preference Formula. A dehydrated raw food that I reconstitute with water and add my own meat. He's not had another ear infection and his coat looks so much better since I switched his diet last Fall.

Again, I hope you find the source of your little guys itchy eyes.
Ike suffered for a year and half before I realized the major source of his itching problems was food related.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The vet did a skin scrape today and it came back negative for demodex. I am going to change his food back to a grain free fish based kibble and see if that helps.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Looks like demodetic mange to me...my pup had it when he was around 7mos. and it looked just like that. Didn't seem to itch him tho. My vet said it's common in puppies of that age and usually shows up on face and paws (since it's a mite that is passed from mom to baby when they are nursing...all dogs have this mite). I freaked out when he was diagnosed...but it cleared up fast with a topical ointment the vet gave me and i have not seen it since. He's 14mos. now.

Good luck with the vet! Let us know how he's doing.

:doh: prob could have read the last post before posting this! Happy it's not mange!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts