Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are taking home our new puppy in a few weeks and am wondering how soon we can have him neutered? I have read a few posts about waiting past the 6 month mark but what is the earliest and are there any issues with doing it early?

·
16,000 Posts
If you can wait and responsibly manage an unneutered male (keep him from running and not allowing access to bitches in season, etc) it is best to wait to neuter large breeds of dogs until between 18 and 24 months of age. Any earlier puts them at great risk of orthopaedic problems, as well as altering their appearance. Early neutered dogs are taller, weedier, leggier, lack breadth and width of chest and the broad, masculine head.

·
16,000 Posts
I adamantly stand by the considerations of Chris Zink (who happens to be a "she" although Dr. Howe referred to Dr. Zink as "he"). Dr. Zink is referring to the "normal" protocol of 6-8 months of age for neutering, while Dr. Howe considers early neuter to be prior to 5 months. She is also referring to dogs who are competing in sports where othopaedic health is paramount.
I've seen the results of neutering prior to 18 months for many years. I can spot a dog neutered early based simply on his appearance.

For pretty nearly every theory, you can find one to disprove it.
Anecdotally, I've found Chris Zink's information to be sound.

·
16,000 Posts
I'm going to add that I AM a proponent of neutering - I think that there are compelling health reasons to do so, as well as behavioral issues. That said, in threads about it I've been challenged for those beliefs.
As far as prepubertal neutering, I actually can understand it in shelter/rescue situations even though I firmly believe that later is better.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Most vets recommend at least 6 months. However, as PG said, there are compelling arguments for waiting until a dog is fully mature before neutering.

Just curious, but is there a reason why you wish to get your pup neutered early? I was under the impression that only shelters and rescues neuter very early to ensure the dogs won't reproduce.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank so much for all your help so far. The reason we ask is because we know we want to have him neutered but didnt want to wait too long and have him develop any dominate traits or hump everything in the home. We do want him to develop correctly but trying to find the earliest date.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Humping isn't necessarily linked to hormones. Puppies hump, neutered or not. And dominance is really an individual thing. I have a 1 1/2 yr old intact male (soon to be neutered) and he isn't dominant at all. He doesn't even lift his leg to pee. :rolleyes:

I think it's great that you're asking questions. I really recommend that you talk to your vet, your breeder and do some reading before you decide the best time to neuter your specific dog.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
We waited until Brooks was 21 months old before he was neutered. When he was a little, little puppy, he would hump something that got underneath him (ie, when he was playing with a large ball). We told him NO! whenever he did it. The behavior very soon disappeared and we never saw it again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts