Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have seen numerous posts talking about the chuck it. Is it a ball? What is so appealing to dogs about it? Or is it a ball launcher? Do I need to be able to let her run and run for this to be effective for me to get?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Someone tried to get me to buy one at PetSmart, but I declined. We gave plenty of balls, and that one didn't look too special. The one I was showed was a ball.

·
Pippa and Watson’s mom
611 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread--I’m been wondering about it, too. What does it do that’s different from a human arm throwing a ball?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Hey all,

I have seen numerous posts talking about the chuck it. Is it a ball? What is so appealing to dogs about it? Or is it a ball launcher? Do I need to be able to let her run and run for this to be effective for me to get?

Thanks!!
The rubber chuck it balls are really sturdy and nice. The fuzzy tennis ball looking ones are less sturdy, but much cheaper. I don't have the launcher, since my arm works pretty well still, and I tend to lose everything I touch.

·
Registered
291 Posts
We had one ( Miss Lady chewed it!!) and I really liked it!!! the one we got was a ball launcher, the large size and man!! that thing sent the ball really far away!!!! I think it's worth it because my arm would not be able to throw it that far, this way Lady gets to run more, needless to say that is what she is getting for Christmas, a brand new Chuck-it!!!

·
Pippa and Watson’s mom
611 Posts
It doesn't get tired! :)
Oh--:doh: I didn’t even think of that! None of my dogs so far (though I have hope for Watson) ever fetched long enough for me to get tired. Boswell used to run after the ball and then lie down with it. Pippa watches me throw it, and if she’s in the mood, she'll go get it and run around with it. If not, I end up playing fetch with myself!

·
Eleanor's Mom
597 Posts
I love our chuck it. I have a pretty ball obsessive dog who will chase a ball forever. The chuck it not only lets me throw the ball for a long time without getting tired but more importantly it lets me throw the ball significantly farther than I would be able to do with just my arm.

I have both the plastic chuck it and I also have a wooden version (which I like better) that came from Planet Dog (but I think I got it from ll bean). I use both tennis balls and the rubber balls that come from chuck it/planet dog. I like the rubber balls better. They last longer and they tend to go farther when launched.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I love my chuck-it...the ball launcher. I can launch a ball up a hill or way out into the water without straining my arm. I can pick up slimy balls and not touch them. The rubbers balls are too expensive for the amount we go thru. I only let the dog have balls when we are playing and supervised or else she will chew them to pieces.

With the chuck it I can throw like a baseball player. In this picture I could throw the ball all the way into the water with the chuck-it. Without it I throw like a little girl! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
we love our chuck it, have a long one and a short one...

basically it you use it to pick up the slimey ball (my dogs automatically drop it at my feet)

and you can launch it farther than throwing with your arm ( i have enough land to)

and you never get tired, effortless motion, i use regular tennis balls with it

for $10 or whatever the price was it paid for itself for my ball obsessed dogs

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
It's all about the ball launcher...saves your arm/shoulder when you have a retrievin' fool like my guy! I use the rubber balls and he's never destroyed one. I'd have to say the Chuck-It is the most-used toy Hank has.

I bought ours at Harbor Freight, it's was $7.00 and included 2 balls. There are several different ball sizes/launchers. We have the tennis-ball-size one.

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,722 Posts
I've got the Hyper Ball Launcher, had it for years. Used it with my bridge boy, haven't tried it with my new guy. Thanks for the reminder.

·
Loving Flyball
1,626 Posts
I have multiple Chuck Its, and lots of balls!! The Chuck It has enabled me to play ball with my dog, with minimal movement of my shoulder, and back. I can also use my left arm with it, since my right shoulder isn't the greatest. I really like them:)

Reactions: Tailer'sFolks

·
Registered
13,084 Posts
I often say, my Chuck-It was the best $17 I ever spent.

It's all about the launcher - not the ball. You can use a Chuck-It with any ball you like. And as others have mentioned, it's for people (like me, too!) who can't throw a ball as far as your dog wants to run.

Me without the Chuck-It: 20 feet

Me with the Chuck-It: the full length of a soccer field.

No brainer ;)

·
Dexter's Mom aka Kristin
625 Posts
chuck it makes a lot of toys, not just balls. they also have indoor fetch toys..i looked at some yesterday. hehe. i want the launcher. i haven't broken down and bought it yet..but they make toys especially for water retrieval (bumpers, cute little surfboards), frisbees, etc. the tennis balls & rubber balls have been very durable. dexter likes to rip the fuzz off of tennis balls, he hasn't been able to do it to his chuck it yet. maybe he just hasn't tried hard enough..but i will be getting a launcher before summer rolls back around.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I am a fan of the rubber Chuck-it rubber balls. They are better on the teeth than the rough coated tennis ball- they are easy to spot on the lawn or if the ball goes into the bushes for me to find- and they bounce kind of crazy giving Lola a better time trying to get it. The other big plus of the rubber balls is that I can wash them with soap and water when we bring them into the house. Not something you can really do with a regular tennis ball.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts