Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi every 1 im a new dog owner here I have a golden 4 month old n I'm feeding him Purina one dog food can I know what is the best brand I need to feed him or purina is ok for it ;) plz help n thx to all of u all

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
If your dog is doing well on the Purina, then there is really no need to change. There is no one food that is "right" since all dogs are different. Our 3 dogs are currently all on different foods to suit their individual needs. If your pup has firm stools, a good coat, clean ears and eyes, and a good energy level, I would keep feeding the Purina One. If you do eventually decide to switch foods, just make sure that you do it slowly to prevent stomach upset.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You are bringing the Great Debate question. My response is if your pup is doing well on it with no allergies, nice coat, normal firm poop I would stick with the Purina One. That is what I feed my boys now after trying several "better" foods.

·
Kristy
10,413 Posts
If it helps, my vet (who I have the utmost respect for) is very firmly in the camp that the big boys, like Purina, have almost unlimited resources for the science, research and quality control that goes into these products and Purina One was his recommendation for food for my puppy, if I chose to switch. I am sticking with what the breeder had my Duncan started with, because, as advised here, he is doing fine with it and I don't want to rock the boat with a food switch.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
As has already been said, there is no one best brand for all dogs. Not everyone looks for the same things in a pet food company or in choosing a specific kibble. A company that one person respects, the next person may not think well of. It depends on your criteria or if a person even cares to look into those things.

I personally have chosen not to use Purina products. The biggest reason is that in the recent past, Purina has changed their ingredient lists. Where they used to use:

chicken fat and chicken by-product

They now use:

animal fat and poultry by-product

That leaves a lot of variability in the content of what's in one bag compared to the next bag you buy. An "animal" by definition includes dozens of possibilities and I prefer to know what my dogs are actually eating. To a lesser extent "poultry" doesn't really define what the animal is either. To me it's a deal breaker in choosing a food; to others its not. Most likely the change was made because it saves money for a company to use whatever the cheapest animal fat they can get their hands on in a given week. There are only so many ways for pet food companies to continue to make a profit when their own costs are increasing: charge more for the product; make the bags smaller and charge the same; cut the costs of the ingredients.

That's my 2 cents. The most important thing is that you have a new little puppy to love and enjoy; and you're obviously trying to take very good care of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts