Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bailey has an obsession over cat food and must get to it as often as she can.:doh: What is so good about it? I talked to the vets about this and he just laughed and said its very common. We put the cat food in our master bathroom out of sniffing range and Bailey is not allowed in there, she knows this too:p:. Once in a while when she know's I'm not paying attention to her, she sneaks in there and eats the whole bowl of it.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Mine do the same thing I think they believe that because they are not suppose to eat it, it has to be really good.

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
Cats are carnivores. Their food is basically all meat which is very attractive to the dogs. Those noses of their's do not lie.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
I know when i worked in rescue kennels if we had a dog that wouldn't eat the normal food, we always gave it cat food to get it eating - always worked too.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Mom it is yummy! Plus it is forbidden which makes it even more fun to sneak! :)

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Cat food contains alot of fat. That's why it smells /tastes so good to them. Selka developed colitis from eating my daughter's cat's food. He had diarrhea all over her new carpet and we spent over $100 at her vet's. He was placed on an antibiotic (why I don't know) and ate rice/chicken for a week. Nowwhen we visit the cat has to eat up high!

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
We feed the cat outdoors, on a perch my husband made on our screened porch, during spring, summer & fall. During the winter his food/water is on the dryer in the laundry room. Works out great.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Yep - the high fat content is what makes it so attractive. I have to be very dilligent to make sure my old guy doesn't get any since it could bring on pancreatitis (he's now had that twice and is more prone to a recurrence).

Ignutah: funny thing is, they love cat food just as much after it's digested and in the litter box!!
Yuck - too true. At least my bassettX doesn't clean the litterbox. Copper on the other hand will happily help out!:yuck:

·
16,000 Posts
The smell. For dogs it is about the smell, as they have very few taste buds. Cat food, with it's high fat and generally fish base, smells very strong, making it most appealing to our dogs. They should not eat cat food, as their liver and pancreas is unable to assimilate the higher fat/protein content, and they can becaome very sick.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts