Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am expecting my new puppy in May and I am trying to get things I need a little at a time.

So far I have purchased a 36" crate with a divider, bedding for inside the crate (rectangular shapped lambs wool type fabric with a tubelar border).

I need to get food dishes, collar, leash (any recommendations on these would be great) an identification tag once I figure out what to name my little boy. I know he will also need a variety of toys and teething aides; can you suggest the toys your puppies liked and what is the best thing for teething?

I want to be prepared and I don't want to forget any of the necessities. (Can you tell I'm excited about getting a new puppy?:D) Thanks for your input.

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
What is necessary for a new puppy?

Patience, love and a very good sense of humor!!!!! ;)

Pete

·
Golden Lover
939 Posts
Also, I have read where it is NOT advisable to put your dog's name on it's tag, makes them endearing to the person that finds them.....(or swiped them)..

"Please help me go home"
and phone number.......

sounded kind of smart to me....:)

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, I have read where it is NOT advisable to put your dog's name on it's tag, makes them endearing to the person that finds them.....(or swiped them)..

"Please help me go home"
and phone number.......

sounded kind of smart to me....:)

Opps.. I wish I would had known that a week ago. I ordered two really nice tags for my adult Golden and Lab; which were shipped yesterday.
They both have names and addresses on them along with the phone number. I'll know better for the next order for pet tags.

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Opps.. I wish I would had known that a week ago. I ordered two really nice tags for my adult Golden and Lab; which were shipped yesterday.
They both have names and addresses on them along with the phone number. I'll know better for the next order for pet tags.
I wouldn't worry about it too much...as my brother is constantly telling me all you need to steal a golden is a tennis ball. ;)

Pete

Reactions: LibertyME

·
Casey and Samson's Mom
221 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
There are loads of "new puppy lists" out there, and I went thru them all, and bought what seemed like a ton of stuff before puppy came home ... within a week of his arrival I was at the pet store buying more stuff! My advice is to overbuy at a local store, keep everything packaged & w/ receipts, then what you don't need you can return. Petsmart has a 90-day return policy, I think. I returned about $100 of stuff that we ended up not needing. But what I didn't buy that we ended up needing:

Plush toys. Zeke LOVES plush toys, esp. squeaky toys

More ex-pens. Our house is not easily gate-able. We are using ex-pens as baby gates for very large openings, to keep the pup segregated to the kitchen.

Squeezy Kong filler. I had planned on filling it with the crunchy toys, but he likes the soft stuff, and didn't care for peanut butter.

Deer antlers. He likes these better than nylabones for heavy chewing.

Bully sticks. WOW! our puppy loves these and they are a special treat, esp. for crate time.

Squeaky balls. Oh, he loves a squeaky ball.

Puppy brush. Mine was too rough for his sensitive skin

What we returned, that I bought off some of those lists:

Potty pads

Extension leash. We are only using the 6' leash, so I got rid of the extension kind.

Crate bed (he hated it. So we switched to a thin towel, and he likes that. I think he gets too hot w/ the bed)

Nail clippers. We're using a Dremel instead.

Flea/tick prevention. My vet has it cheaper than I can get anywhere else

One of our crates. We have two and the second we bought I didn't like, so I got a different one on Amazon. Will 36" be large enough for you?

Also, one thing we did that I'm glad about was buy the *cheapest * 6-foot leash & collar I could find (I bought a medium size collar). He chews the leash (we're working on that) and he'll outgrow the collar.

Oh, and one other thing I didn't see on any lists, and that's some good slip-on grungy shoes for potty trips. My old crocs have been a lifesaver, partly because Zeke chews on shoelaces and also because you gotta be quick when it's time to "go"!

Oh! one more thing I just ordered. I need a quick-access treat bag, so I got one of these: eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices. My zip-lock bag is not working for me. I need something like this for puppy class anyway, which we're starting this week.

Good luck! The hardest part is THE WAIT!!!!

·
Mulligan & Samantha's Mom
1,263 Posts
I am expecting my new puppy in May and I am trying to get things I need a little at a time.

So far I have purchased a 36" crate with a divider, bedding for inside the crate (rectangular shapped lambs wool type fabric with a tubelar border).

I need to get food dishes, collar, leash (any recommendations on these would be great) an identification tag once I figure out what to name my little boy. I know he will also need a variety of toys and teething aides; can you suggest the toys your puppies liked and what is the best thing for teething?

I want to be prepared and I don't want to forget any of the necessities. (Can you tell I'm excited about getting a new puppy?:D) Thanks for your input.
First off.. CONGRATS! I'm so excited for you, a puppy is so much fun!

Everything that has already been said is great. I would like to add a few... :)

-Take the pad for the crate and save it for when your little one is trained. Buy yourself some new bath towels and designate several old ones as "puppy towels." There will likely be a lot of accidents at first if yours is like Samantha was... especially pee accidents. It was very easy to take out the wet towel and wash it. I can't imagine washing bedding would be as easy.

-Buy odor removing spray to clean the bottom of the crate (and your carpets) with after accidents to avoid re-visits.

-Buy (if you can afford it- it was a lifesaver) a small hand-held steam cleaner if you don't already have one. It made accident clean-up a breeze and I was greatful to have one. I would saturate the accident spot with the odor spray, steam clean it, and spray again and wipe with a towel. The whole process took only a few minutes and gave me piece of mind that my home was clean.

And of course have fun!!! Have lots of toys and chewies on hand and buy the same food the breeder was feeding in advance. I think you're doing great. The more you have before puppy comes home will make life all the easier.

Congrats again and good luck! Please post lots of pictures when you bring your little one home!

·
Registered
869 Posts

Don't spend too much money on a leash/collar for him when he first comes home as that will be the first of many! :) They out grow them very quickly.

You will need a comb(metal), a slicker brush, a pin brush. I recommend stainless steel bowls or ceramic crocks. I don't like plastic as they harbor bacteria.

As far as toys go, I don't recommend latex type toys for golden puppies because they chew them up in the blink of an eye. I also don't recommend those braided rope toys that are 1000's of threads. Goldens can chew them up and they can cause one heck of an obstruction.

Now is also a great time to be reading up on the new puppy.....
Mother Knows Best-by Carol Lea Benjamin
Raising a Puppy You Can Live With-Rutherford and Neil
Golden Retrievers For Dummies- N.K. Bauer

Enjoy your shopping!!!! :)

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Today I was telling my husband that a coat is a new puppy item. Casper hasn't quite destroyed the coat I bought in october, but he has snagged it, ripped it, slobbered on it, and jumped on it. Given it is cold, wet, and muddy from October until July, I think this coat is only going to last one season.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it too much...as my brother is constantly telling me all you need to steal a golden is a tennis ball. ;)

Pete
i may not have a golden, but that is seriously all you would need to steal my current dog LOL

Oh! one more thing I just ordered. I need a quick-access treat bag, so I got one of these: eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices. My zip-lock bag is not working for me. I need something like this for puppy class anyway, which we're starting this week.
hmm i think i might get one of those for my girl for her obedience training im about to start too! but ill look for one thats not coming from overseas :p

·
Registered
205 Posts
to add on....

food..... imo, you should continue using the same food the breeder is using for least a few months. Call/email the breeder and ask, and get a bag before bringing the puppy home.

ear plugs/noise cancelling headphones.... crate training, you'll be hearing a lot of whining, crying & barking... especially when you're trying to sleep

1 - 19 of 19 Posts