Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi having some troubles with dog food choices, i live in Australia which is hard to get help as most of the good foods are over seas :( i have tried Purina, Advance and now optimum and all make my girls very unwell. Purina super coat made my 11 month old puppy very sick and had to go to emergency and her intake of foods now hasn't been the same since. So i would love to know if there is a good healthy food for my 2 girls all the help would be so appreciated thankyou heaps :)

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
I have fed Nutro in the past with great results. I currently have my little one on Purina but will be switching her over to something else (Likely Nutro)

Feed what works best for your dog. What may be a good food for one isnt a good one for another. Some dogs do well on Orijen, some Purina and some believe it or not Pedigree (though I personally wont feed Pedigree) I know theres a couple members who feed it with great results. I have learned over the last few months is to not care what others think of my food. I feed what I can afford and what mine do okay on (though my large guy is a little hard to feed because of his allergies).

I think Canidae, Natural Balance, Nutro, Black Hawk and Eukanuba are available to you. My cousin is in Victoria and she feeds Black Hawk to hers.

·
Under Napoleon's Rule
900 Posts
I know Oz doesnt have a many varieties as the US...Never seen some that they talk about here...So have you tried Pro Plan(Purina)? I found it was great for my previous dog.
I know you said you feed Purina but Super coat did nothing for my dog at all..In fact he wouldnt touch it in the end..
Another idea may be if you have thought of feeding raw with Vets all Natural (from City Farmers or Better Pets and Gardens) use 400 gms mince ( I think it may be less than that) and a sachet of the mix... its really easy to feed that way.
Good luck in your quest for a better food for your dogs I'm sure you will get lots of ideas on here. :)

·
Professional Member
1,548 Posts
Try to feed a raw food diet, if you do it right it's the healthiest possible dog food IMO

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
7 Posts
I feed my 1.5 yr golden Purina Pro Plan. My vet suggests between Pro Plan and the Science Diet. I think it's important to look at the ingredients when you choose his food. A lot of dog food has mostly fillings such as corn. You want to find one that actually provides him protein and calories such as chicken, rice, lamp, etc.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I do a combination of Raw, dehydrated and Fromm's dry. I rotate these. I try to use only the best quality and grain free.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Out of what I am seeing may be available to you, I would narrow in on Canidae, Nutro, Eagle Pack, and Eukanuba... in that order. Countless dogs do fantastic on Eukanuba and we used it for a loooooong time, but if you have the other options available to you as well, I would give those a try first :) Canidae in particular is always wheat/corn/soy free so if those were the potential causes of your girls' reactions, they would be eliminated right off the bat.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I really recommend Evo. It's my only choice. Since you leave down under there is actually a really great but expensive brand called Ziwawee I think. You can look it up on mrchewy.com Also I have done a ton of research on dog food, and you want the one that has the lowest amount of carbohydrates and that is grain free. Dogfoodadvisor.com has some amazing information on what dogs really need. A lot of companies will throw more grains and carbs into food because it's cheaper. You want high protein and vegetables, low carbs and grains. Evo is my choice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking for a good food for my 6 month golden

Hi! My 6 month golden has had trouble with every food we have tried. We have been to the vet to have his stool checked and it comes back clean. He has diarrhea with everything. We thought it was a chicken allergy but the lamb isn't any better. We went to chicken and rice (homemade) and he is much better with this but we dont want him to miss out on the other nutrients and do not want to rely on making all of his food.

Recently he has developed a limp. The vet says it is Panosteitis and is normal. I am beginning to wonder if the two are related at all. He acts completely normal otherwise.

Any suggestions on either of these?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I would highly recommend a raw diet. Doesn't matter where you live or what is available to you - a raw diet is the same world wide - well, protein sources will change via the country, but not too greatly! ;)

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I'm also in Oz, I use supercoat and it works well for me. I also feed a bone with marrow exposed, and I'll add green beans and a bit of what we have to his biscuits. If I switched from supercoat I'd probably try science diet, but only if I had to.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts