Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I saw on Dr. Oz an overweight woman with two overweight dogs. The guest vet on the show was talking about feeding and not to let the dog eat freely throughout the day, but to schedule and measure the food. The vet had a product on the show that was a ball with the measured kibble inside and said, "make the dog work for it." I've not seen this kind of contraption before. My take is it would be good for adult dogs. There is a hole in it, where the kibble comes out one at a time, which is the reward for the dog having to roll this ball around. Anyone use one of these? And if you do, what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Dodger has one of those balls, but I don't use it to give him his meals. His is more a cube actually but same idea. I think it's a good mental exercise as they have to figure out how to knock it around to get the food out. It can be a bit noisy with the ball rolling around and knocking into things (maybe its better on carpet) and with more than one dog it might be hard to make sure they each get the appropriate amount.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Yep love them!
I do separate the dogs when I use them as they tend to get very excited to play with their food puzzle toys.

At the top of the forum you will see a product review tab....you will see reviews for these toys:
Buster Cube
Tricky Treat Ball
Premier makes a bone shaped food puzzle that Raleigh LOVES
Kongs

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
My dogs love the Buster cube! Interestingly enough, the Pug is more willing to work for her food than the Goldens, but she did learn she could put it against a wall and just keep banging it to get her food :)

·
Registered
958 Posts
As well as the Buster Cube, there is also a Buster Ball. Rusty loved the Buster Cube, while Gracie always preferred the Buster Ball. Until we got Ruby, we fed Gracie exclusively with the ball. It got too difficult to feed two of them with the balls, so now we bowl feed. I miss watching Gracie work the ball...she had lot's of fun with it.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I used them when Rookie was a pup and wolfing down his food. Now I do it occasionally just for a change of pace.

I don't see how this would help overweight dogs though. Rolling the ball around the floor may be good mental stimulation, but it really isn't all that much work. If the issue is weight, the only thing to do is cut back on the food and increase the exercise.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I used them when Rookie was a pup and wolfing down his food. Now I do it occasionally just for a change of pace.

I don't see how this would help overweight dogs though. Rolling the ball around the floor may be good mental stimulation, but it really isn't all that much work. If the issue is weight, the only thing to do is cut back on the food and increase the exercise.
The point the vet was trying to make was to stop just filling the dogs bowls and free feeding. Scheduled feeding is much better, and the Buster ball would provide way more exercise and stimulation than standing in front of a bowl eating, and it will slow them down and keep them from inhaling their food.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
I have one for Ranger I use on extremely cold days when we've cut our walks short. Definitely uses some mental energy and keeps him occupied for awhile. His is a round, all rubber ball with a little maze inside the kibble has to get through before it falls out. I think it makes him think more than just with a kong, where he lays down and licks it, or stands up and throws it against the walls. With the ball he's walking around nosing it or using a paw, then sniffing out where the treats scattered. Definitely a good - 20 degrees outside indoor game.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts