Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All my dogs were always crated while I was at work until this summer, I started letting Annabel stay out. She was never the type to go into her crate on her own, although she didn't fight me when I told her to go in. She seemed quite pleased to be able to stay out in the living room.About six weeks ago, I decided to start letting Conner stay out of his crate also. The first couple of days were fine, but then whenever I got ready to leave Annabel would run and get into her crate (something she never did unless told to before). I tried calling her out of it, and she relunctantly came to me, but then immediately ran back into her crate. When I got home that afternoon she was still in there, so I assume she spent the whole day in there despite the door being open. This is now her daily routine: as I get ready to leave she runs in her crate, I coax her out, she comes to see me but then runs back in.I am wondering what could have happened that she seems so insistent to be in her crate whenever I leave now. If she were the type to go into her crate sometimes on her own, or if she had started doing it when she was the only one left loose, I could understand it better. But since it just started shortly after I started leaving Conner loose with her, I can only assume that something happened between them. The only thing I can figure is that they got into a fight while I was gone and now she associates me leaving with that fight. But I saw no physical evidence of a fight, and she is absolutely fine around him when I'm home.Anyone have any other ideas of why she might be doing this? I feel bad that she seems to feel the need to stay crated for the nine hours that I'm at work every day. I've considered shutting the crate door so she would have to stay out and see it was okay, but I don't want to force her into an uncomfortable situation either.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
That is unusual. Maybe you can leave the crate unlocked so if she wants to come out she can or she can stay in the crate while you are gone. Maybe she is feeling insecure out of it. Too bad you can put up a nanny cam to see what they are doing when you are gone.

·
Winchestersonfieldville
1,328 Posts
I wish I had more insightful advice for you. Maybe Conner did something that made a loud noise that she didn't like. Or maybe she is protecting the create from Conner. Have you tried crating Conner for a day to see if he is indeed the problem? Meaning, if you crated him would she still do this?

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
I wish I had more insightful advice for you. Maybe Conner did something that made a loud noise that she didn't like. Or maybe she is protecting the create from Conner. Have you tried crating Conner for a day to see if he is indeed the problem? Meaning, if you crated him would she still do this?
That's what I was thinking. Maybe Connor spent a whole day in her crate or was in there every time she wanted to nap and now she's worried he's trying to take it over?

·
New Mommy
6,139 Posts
What about crating Conner for a day again and see what happens?

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
I think maybe crating Conner for a few days might give you some insight into the problem. I think a web-cam is a great idea, if you're able to borrow one from someone. Hummmm.... too bad our pups can't talk!

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
do they get a treat before you leave? I know Scout runs into his crate expecting his treat. But his crate is also his security place.

She might also stay in the crate for a short period after you leave...and in it later in the day. Might be out and about during the day.

I think if she is fine otherwise it just might be her routine. Leave the door open, as long as she has access to water she will be fine. It's possible Conner might have parked in her crate if she was out...and she is letting him know it's her place.

I don't think I would crate Conner if he has done nothing wrong and your not sure of the issue. Leave the door open, when your home or going out...make it her routine and make no big deal of it.

I'd only change Conner's routine if she shows injury from Conner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts