Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Teddy and Dakota's Mommy
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dakota is now about 17 months old and up until about a month ago was an absolute perfect dog. I went away for a weekend and left her home with the rest of the family (husband and two kids). She is with them almost as much as me. I'm a stay at home mom so her and I are together almost constantly and are pretty bonded :eek: Anyways, while I was gone, she started counter-surfing and table-surfing. She has continued doing that. It isn't often but maybe once or twice a week, usually when I am home but leave her downstairs and I go upstairs. She has also started destroying items that are left out which she never did before. Again, this happens when I am home and go upstairs and leave her downstairs. When I go out and leave her home by herself, she is fine. When I am with her and she picks something up she isn't supposed to have she comes to me with a look on her face that instantly tells me she has something she isn't supposed to have.

Any suggestions? It is almost like she is being bratty but I'm not sure how to stop this and could use some help.

·
gone
1,443 Posts
I find that if I let Bayne do something just ONCE, he thinks it's ok and will continue to do it and just won't listen to me.... it's so hard to UNDO something than to prevent it in the first place.

It could be while you were gone somebody thought it would be ok to just let Dakota jump up on the counter just once, or take something and wasn't told in the way you usually discouraged her from taking what wasn't hers..... you will probably just have to start back at square one and teach her that it isn't ok. Or they just felt sorry for her because they thought she was missing you and spoiled her in your absence.

·
Teddy and Dakota's Mommy
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would be surprised if they let her do it because my husband is much "harsher" on her then I am. It may have happened by accident though.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Maybe when you leave her now (even though it's just another floor of the house) she gets upset thinking you're going for longer?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts