Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Cassie
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I've been doing a home-cooked diet for as long as I can remember. But now I'd like to transition to a good-quality, USA-made, human grade (if possible) food that will have all the nutrients necessary. It's getting to be too time-consuming to go through what it takes to make a well-balanced home-cooked diet with the proper calcium/phosphorus, etc.

I received a sample of Natural Balance dog food -- the one made by Dick Van Patten. Does anyone have experience with this? Any other recommendations? I'd like to stick to a stew-type texture if possible, but will consider kibble.

Nellie is four and has lots of energy!

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Glynis
2,534 Posts
Your dog looks awesome and is a credit to the diet you have been feeding to date. Have you considered a raw diet. Takes a bit of time to source but will save you the cooking time. Am not a fan of kibble.

·
Cassie
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Harleysmum,

Thanks!

I'm hesitate to feed a raw diet. I understand the cooking time is cut down, but I think you still have to do the research to make sure all vitamins, minerals, etc. are in the food. I'd like to go with a commercial food if possible. I did a ton of research on treats and Nellie gets Zuke's, which is a brand I really like.

·
Registered
823 Posts
We love Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Venison. Bo has a gorgeous coat, never gets ear infections, and has great firm stool. This was the only kibble that we found kept him healthy and his stool firm considering he has a very sensitive stomach.

We also do the 95% mix in's (soft food) from wellness in either beef, turkey, or lamb. He loves it.

We do the Natural Balance Beef Dog food roll and the Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Venison treats too. Also use the Blue Buffalo Beef Bits (heart shape) for training treats.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Ella was recently switched to Acana foods. She's been doing well on it so far. But it's made in Canada rather than the US. They use all fresh ingredients that are locally sourced. They also have some limited ingredient options as well.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Orijen or Fromm kibble plus Grandma Lucy's Pureformance freeze dried.

·
Registered
949 Posts
If money were no object I would feed Dr. Tim's dog food. Even with a kennel full of dogs, I am considering switching from Eukanuba to Dr. Tim. Quality product made in the USA.

·
Registered
7,280 Posts
We feed Max Acana Wild Prairie. It is made in Canada, is grain free and is fish and chicken based. Max has done very well on it. He has been eating it for over 2 years. He picked it when we did a taste test with 6 different dog foods.

·
Lisa
675 Posts
We do Fromms kibble, and my boy feels like a stuffed animal -- silky and pretty. We get comments like "did he just have a bath?" No, actually, he just jumped in a lake and rolled in a mud puddle! SO it must be the Fromms.

Also handy when you have a dog like mine who turns up his nose at his kibble flavor every few months. We switch flavors without any digestive upset, which is soooo nice. My dog gets digestive upset from almost everything, so I really appreciate the time Fromms put into this!

·
AAARF!
2,216 Posts
I just started Rindy on Fromm Chicken A La Veg this morning. So far, so good - ;)! She seemed to think it was tasty so I was happy about that!

Finn eats Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Bison and also NutriSource PureVita Bison. He does best on limited ingredient foods.

Good luck in your food search for Nellie!

P.S. I love her photo! Beautiful girl!

·
Cassie
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you all! What great advice! Now I'm going to do some research and see if it's better to buy food online or if it's available at any area stores. I really appreciate the input as it's been more than seven years since we've purchased commercial dog food.

And I have to say, each and every Golden in the posts/photos above are absolutely gorgeous! We're lucky to have such wonderful companions!

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
I feed the following to my dogs:

1. Farmina Natural & Delicious Wild Boar Grain-Free
2. Fromm Four-Star Nutritionals Grain-Free Lamb & Lentil Recipe

These are their main foods, and I'll be adding Farmina Grass-Fed Lamb to their main food list soon.

Below are foods I add in the rotation as well, but not as often as the main food list.

3. ACANA Pacifica Regional Formula Grain-Free
4. ACANA Grasslands Regional Formula Grain-Free
5. Orijen Regional Red Grain-Free
6. Orijen 6 Fish Grain-Free Formula

I'm going to try ACANA pork line, and Merrick Grain-Free Real Duck + Sweet Potato Recipe too. These will be added to change things up, and keep my dogs with a wide amount of options to eat.

So far I have no issues with their meals and food. They have yet to get bored at meal time.

Oh, I do add some topper wet foods every night.

1. Nature's Logic Rabbit Recipe Canned Dog Food
2. Nature's Logic Lamb Recipe Canned Dog Food
3. Nature's Logic Duck & Salmon Recipe Canned Dog
4. Kirkland Signature Nature’s Domain Canned Dog Food - From Costco

·
My name is Emily!
99 Posts
I have loved Fromm since Aiden was a puppy! He is about 8 months and his growing coat is so soft and shiny. The ingredients lists of all Fromm Foods have always made me happy. I cringe when I look at many other dog food ingredient lists.

There are a lot of options in the Fromm Four-Star (more than 10 different "flavors").

1 - 20 of 28 Posts