Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this morning I got my first taste of true fear in Russell. I took him for his morning walk to the park. A boy and his father were playing baseball using a metal bat. The kid finally hit the ball and the noise freaked Russ out completely! He ran wild toward the house which is 6 blocks from the park. Luckily I have a retractable gel hand held leash and I just let the lead out to it's max otherwise I would had been dragged down the road. This is a first for me. I have NEVER seen Russell act like this. Once on the road and out of the park, I told him to sit. I gave him a hug and tried to calm him down, which I did. We walked on home. Thanks to a problem I have been having with Russ, I was informed that Golden's have fears. Otherwise I would had never known. So, it begs to be asked on my end, What else are they afraid of? Are all Golden's scared of the same things? We now travel with Russ from time to time (maybe twice a year) so it is important that I know when I have to hold on extra tight. Really appreciate any stories or input. Thanks, Barbara:wavey:.

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
I have a very fearful dog. We are trying our best with her, so she is not so fearful. Bailey is most fearful of other dogs, strange people and loud noises. She will bite due to this fear of hers. Also, this makes her very protective of us. I hate having such an unbalanced doggie. I wish she had more confidence. Like I said, we are trying our best with her.

·
Missing Naughty Charlie
4,539 Posts
My Daisy has a fear of cupboards and doors that creek and when we pull down the loft hatch but could be her passed as she is rescue.

Charlie hates it if cars go passed her and its raining she hates the noise it makes and shy's away but again she is rescue and we don't know the background's of either of them.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Lucky is fearful of the vet. I took him this morning. He shook like a leaf the whole hour we were there.

He has growled at my past vet...something NOT charactoristic of him. He is so fearful I suggested a muzzle...but they said it wasn't needed.

A new vet has purchased the hospital and I liked that he spent a fair amount of time with Lucky this morning, petting and scratching his ears before the exam started......

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Goldens are not normally fearful.. it is not a normal trait in the breed.

My other goldens (3) before Selka and Selka have no fears. Gunner has anxiety which was either an issue that happened in utero as all his littermates have similar issues or it is genetic from the sire.
Gunner is afraid of loud noises (guns, thunder, fireworks) He also has several health issues so this may also be a factor.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,080 Posts
I haven't seen any fear of things out of Reno and Austin but I know Lincoln is (or was last summer) scared of the lawn mower...before it even started! It will be interesting to see how he reacts to it this summer.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Zep is afraid of new things like; snowshoes, skiing poles, ATVs, construction cones, boats, etc. Once he "meets" these things and sees that i accept them, he is fine with it. The only thing he is almost always afraid of is my cat because the cat is a major butthead. :) Oh, and he does not like the groomers at PetCo...if they have their black smock on, he just wants to get away from them. Once they take the smock off, he's fine and loves them. Strange. He's my special needs boy. :)

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Tucker has no fear, nor did my 1st Golden. I used to take care of my neighbors golden and at first she was afraid of the sounds of the tools in my workshop, but I paid no attention to her when she did react, and she got over it real quick.

·
I've seen all good people
5,002 Posts
The vacuum cleaner, new things in yards on our walks (like bikes or toys), and once a large floor polisher that was parked in the hallway at Petco. He was so scared of that I thought he was going to pee on the floor! Even though it was just sitting there.....

When he was younger he was afraid of more things but he's grown out of them I guess. Living in SC, I'm sure thankful that he's not scared of fireworks! They shoot them off around here for every holiday and sometimes just for the hell of it. :(

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I have a very fearful dog. We are trying our best with her, so she is not so fearful. Bailey is most fearful of other dogs, strange people and loud noises. She will bite due to this fear of hers. Also, this makes her very protective of us. I hate having such an unbalanced doggie. I wish she had more confidence. Like I said, we are trying our best with her.
I feel your pain with one of those. Flora is terrified of other dogs, and has actually injured me before because she pulled on her leash so hard to get away from another dog. She too will resort to biting if she's scared enough. It sucks, but you and Bailey are not alone.

That's definitely Flora's biggest fear. She's surprisingly pretty mild-mannered with everything else.

·
Mom to Holly and Rosie
3,174 Posts
Holly is fearful of horses. She cowers.

Rosie isn't fearful.......just cautious around certain things.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Up until this past week, I thought Duffy had no fears! He seems very easy going and laid back.

But last week, for the first time, he was afraid to get into the car. I could not coax him in, even with treats which is very very unusual. He will die for a treat.

Also, he was afraid to go into puppy kindergarten when I opened the door and he saw the people and puppies. He wanted to back out and run away. Thankfully, he didn't slip out of his collar.

Yesterday, I had two folding chairs leaning in the entry hall of the kitchen. He would not walk past them. I finally coaxed him into walking by and then he was ok.

Is 16 weeks one of those marker weeks for having fears??

I don't want him to be a fearful dog. We go on walks regularly, meet new people all the time. I don't want to take him to Petsmart because he still needs his last round of shots. What are some other ways to introduce him to more things to head off the "scaries"?

Kris

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
We have only had Dusty and Sammy a short while but so far we know that Dusty doesn't like loud noises, he will cower down and try to get away. Sammy doesn't seem to be fearful of anything so far but we haven't gone thru summer yet so I don't know how either of them will do with storms.

Our Rusty had severe thunderstorm phobia which didn't start until he was about 4. It got progressively worse as he got older and he actually jumped through our living room windows (glass) a couple of times when a storm came up while we were at work. We ended up taking him to doggie daycare on days when they were calling for storms or I stayed home from work with him. A couple of times I was able to take him to work when my boss wasn't there (she hates animals) and he loved going with me and my co-workers loved having him there too. He was the same with fireworks so we always made sure we were home on the 4th of July and New Year's Eve. He was definitely a challenge but I'd give anything to have him back with us.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Rosie has been scared of the vacuum cleaner, but that is getting better. These days, we're running the vacuum quite often due to the amount of shedding going on at our house!

The first time I took her on a walk after dark, and she was really scared whenever we passed a trash can. That was a one-time thing, though. We've been on lots of after-dark walks since then, and she hasn't minded the trash cans.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I can't think of anything that Hank is afraid of.

He doesn't like me to dip his muddy paws in water to clean them before coming indoors He likes to step/play in water but for some reason doesn't like me to put them in. Cold water, warm water, doesn't matter. I don't know if that qualifies as a fear.

·
Registered
306 Posts
she's not afraid of much. a few things like a big trash can or grill will pique her curiosity and she might get uppity/raise her back hairs.

i don't think she's too fond of fireworks but what dog genuinely likes them? :p

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Willow doesn't like plastic bags bags if they blow or move around. I have a plastic cover over my rabbit's run and if it is windy she doesn't like going out to pee.

Other than that she isn't really fearful. She doesn't like the car but isn't scared of it. Other dogs and loud noises don't worry her.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts