Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
a new day everyday
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I'm looking at the Orijen Feeding Guidelines for Orijen Puppy Large and I'm slightly confused about what daily feeding ration means.

alternative link as a pdf: Orijen Feeding Guidelines

Does this mean that I have to feed my 2 and a half month old puppy 190 to 220 grams in the whole day? or per meal?

Thanks a lot

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Daily feed ration is the total amount to be consumed in a day. For example, if the DFR is 2 cups, you might feed 1 c in the AM and 1 c in the PM.

·
a new day everyday
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doesn't 190 to 220 grams sound too little for a near 3 month old golden retriever puppy?

Thank you for your quick responses

·
Registered
645 Posts
We've just taken delivery today of Royal Canin Maxi Junior and they reccommend for a pup who's 3 months old and adult weight projected approx. 35kg, food in 24 hours should be 330g.

We will not be using this much though as feeding BARF as well. I agree it doesn't sound much but when you think of how big (or small) their little tummy's actually are.....

Good luck:)

·
Premium Member
18,265 Posts
As a rule of thumb I feed my foster puppies 3 Cups of food per day, split into three meals. Can you calculate how many cups 220 grams would work out to?

·
a new day everyday
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As a rule of thumb I feed my foster puppies 3 Cups of food per day, split into three meals. Can you calculate how many cups 220 grams would work out to?

I have found on their website

that 220 grams is approximately

For an adult weight dog of 25-30 kg/55-65 lb between the age of 1 and a half to three months he should be fed 1¾-2 cups daily.

http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/products/puppyLargeFeeding.aspx

if that's accurate, doesn't it sound too little?

Also, can someone give me a picture of the type/size of cup this should be measured in?

I'm aware that Orijen is nutritionally very rich and healthy, but my dog comes back to me hungry and whenever I go to the kitchen or open the fridge he sits there patiently waiting for food.

I dont want to say that I am starving him but that's how I sense and feel.

Can anyone spare any thoughts on an almost 3 month golden retriever puppy and the feeding guidelines for Orijen?

Another thing to point out is that if I feed too much he does diarheea ( not watery at all ) with some of it being firm.

If i feed too little, with me thinking that he's starving, his firm is very firm. (but smelly)

Does chewing vs swallowing kibble make any difference? Do all dogs swallow and eat fast?

Mine eats extremely fast but I'm not sure if this is because he's hungry?

Any thoughts/advice is fully appreciated

Thanks

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Before Remy came home I did a lot of research on this subject. To tell you the truth the options, volumes of data and differing opinions are all very confusing.

Bottom line is that the super premium brands, such as Orijen and Evo contain very little/no waste or filler - so you feed substantially less than you would the other brands that are out there.

I was so nervous about how little I was feeding that for the first few weeks I ran to the vet once a week for a weigh in. I figured I'd want to catch a substantial weight loss very early.

Remy is 78 pounds and I feed him 3 cups (1.5 am and pm) of Evo a day and he has maintained his weight for months. An added bonus is that his poops are very firm and little now that he's on such a high quality/low filler diet!

Hope that helps.

·
a new day everyday
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Before Remy came home I did a lot of research on this subject. To tell you the truth the options, volumes of data and differing opinions are all very confusing.

Bottom line is that the super premium brands, such as Orijen and Evo contain very little/no waste or filler - so you feed substantially less than you would the other brands that are out there.

I was so nervous about how little I was feeding that for the first few weeks I ran to the vet once a week for a weigh in. I figured I'd want to catch a substantial weight loss very early.

Remy is 78 pounds and I feed him 3 cups (1.5 am and pm) of Evo a day and he has maintained his weight for months. An added bonus is that his poops are very firm and little now that he's on such a high quality/low filler diet!

Hope that helps.
So do you think so long he maintains a normal weight while growing even if he begs I shouldn't feel sorry until he gets used to "eating less" ?

Also if you don't mind can you roughly show me what kind of cup you're using?

http://www.google.co.uk/images?q=cup&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

·
Premium Member
18,265 Posts
Use a regular 8 oz. measuring cup like you use for measuring when you are cooking.

Goldens typically act like they are starved, if you fed them as much as they ask for they would be obese and still ask for more food. They love human food, so it's not surprising he acts like he wants what you are getting out of the fridge.

Feed him the appropriate amount, for a 3 month old puppy I would split his total ration for the day into three feedings. As long as he is growing as he should don't worry that he acts like he wants more food.

Measuring cup like this:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Pyrex-Prepware-1-Cup-Measuring-Measurements/dp/B0000CFMZN/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1279465412&sr=8-7[/ame]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts