Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of your dogs chase its tail? Koda has done this since we brought her home. She doesn't do it that often but when she does its hard to get her to stop. It happens the most when she is playing and I mean good playing. Mostly in the basement where she is running around so I dont know if it is overstimulation? Today we were playing and doing good and she stopped, looked at me, and just went crazy wth her tail. She holds on to it and just turns and turns and turns. I go to break it up and she starts jumping at me and mouthing my hands and arms. I turn my back to stop that behaviour and she starts at her tail again....does this sound like something we should continue to discourage?

I have heard it can mean they have OCD but I dont know if it is just her overstimulation or if there is a deeper meaning..?

She does this before a walk sometimes too...when we go to put her collar on she will sometimes start chasing it..so maybe excitement?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've heard it is a self calming technique of the dog like licking their lips or yawning. He is trying to self calm it is a good thing. Well at least that is what I think.

Ericka

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Sasha chases his tail at times and has anal gland issues. I have read that this can be an issue. Just for your info.

·
Gunner and Honey's Mom
5,626 Posts
Gunner chases his tail when he is happy. I come home from work and take him outside and he usually will grab his tail and just spin. I guess there are all kinds of reasons for this one....;)

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cathy - that is what I feel hers is more like. It is just hard to get her to stop. She usually gets dizzy and falls over and then looks at us like "what just happened"...I just wanted to see if I should try to stop it or let it happen.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Amber

Amber chases her tail when we come to let her out of her kennel (20X10) after work. I just tell her to "QUIT." Sometimes she does it a couple of times when playing and then bites it and that's the end. I try to stop it when I can. :wavey:

·
Registered
397 Posts
when Sammy was between 10 weeks and about 10 months she did this all the time. she just kinda grew out of it one day and hasn't really chased her tail since. where as my newer pup doesn't chase his tail at all. I've read that some dogs will chase their tails when they have anal gland issues and other just do it out of boredom.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Sounds like a bit of anxiety mixed with wanting to play. If Lola did it all the time.... I do not know... I might worry some!:eek:

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's not all the time. It is occasionally when we are playing downstairs, sorry if I said all the time.

What would be the anxiety of it, though? What should I do?

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
Jack chases his tail it's usually when he's being corrected about some form of bad behavior(like jumping up)Quess there are lots of reasons.I think he knows I think it's funny so he does it to distract the repremand & if I'm not carefull it works LOL

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thats a good point, sometimes it does happen when she is being corrected too, I never thought of that.

How do you get Jack to stop? Or do you just let him do it?

·
Marty~Mom to Husker
157 Posts
Husker will chase his tail in play. Then he'll grab the back leg and pick it up in his mouth and hop in circles until he falls over or somersaults. I don't think his tail chasing is anything but fun for him. He doesn't go in circles for mins, or not when corrected. Just occasionally when he's playing with a toy or running around he'll grab the tail and spin a few times. He's a goof ball at times! :)

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
Thats a good point, sometimes it does happen when she is being corrected too, I never thought of that.

How do you get Jack to stop? Or do you just let him do it?
I don't stop him if what he was doing isn't too bad it's too funny to me & he seems to enjoy it.I laugh the most when he falls down,puts his head between his hind legs & tugs his tail more LOL

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Riley chases his tail once in a while - like once a month or so, I have no clue what sets it off though!

·
Registered
783 Posts
Husker will chase his tail in play. Then he'll grab the back leg and pick it up in his mouth and hop in circles until he falls over or somersaults. I don't think his tail chasing is anything but fun for him. He doesn't go in circles for mins, or not when corrected. Just occasionally when he's playing with a toy or running around he'll grab the tail and spin a few times. He's a goof ball at times! :)
Ahahahaaaa......picking up foot and falling down. Sounds like Amber :D.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Bryley chases his tail, too! Mostly when he is all hyped up from playing. :greenboun:hyper:
But what bugs me is that very often he comes away with some of his beautiful tail feathers in his mouth!!!

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Bull terriers are tail chasers. It is thought to be genetic in them and a form of OCD.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Cooper chases his tail too and I've never worried about it as he always does it when he's having fun. We laugh and laugh because he can get to going SO fast! I can see where it might be an issue for some, but he's always doing it when he's in a playful mood so I don't worry at all. :)

·
Carol
478 Posts
Oakley has chased his tail since he was a puppy and he is 8 now! He does it when he is excited - he kind of gets this look on his face as if to say "I am so excited I don't know what to do" ... and then he goes after his tail. He is actually pretty good at catching it :)
Seger on the other hand is far too mature to do anything so silly and gives Oakley an over the shoulder "look" when Oak starts up!
I have never worried about it.
Carol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts