Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any regrets about how you raised your Golden? Or something you are glad that you did? I would love to know! We are getting a Golden Retriever puppy in a few months and I am freaking out that we will do something wrong that might be detrimental to the pup. Maybe I am overreacting but rather safe than sorry. Or how we would say in our home: Liewers bang Jan as dooie Jan!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Relax and quit worrying.
Keep in mind that from the day you bring your puppy home, you are always training. Being conscious of that will prevent a lot of potential problems from ever starting.

·
Registered
485 Posts
My regrets tend to center on how little time I really spent enjoying their puppy hood... it goes by SO fast... 😢 Snuggle that baby and spend time just watching him be his own unique little creature.

That said, the things I never do enough of include:
1. Socialization... Or at least getting them out and about and seeing and experiencing new things in a positive way - to be honest, all my dogs have always been fine with a variety of people... except little kids maybe... but they all tend to get nervous in new places. Thankfully, exposing him to new places (at a distance from people) should still be possible during the pandemic. Sometimes just sitting in your car with him and letting him watch out the window at kids at play or pedestrians on the sidewalk can be good "socialization."
2. A reliable recall (which will give you that most-coveted off-leash freedom),
3. Being willing to settle quietly (e.g., at an outdoor restaurant, a gathering at home, or in a crate or at my feet at training classes, and
3. Peeing on command

·
Registered
537 Posts
After our girl earned her Senior Hunter title and WCX title I stopped running her in hunt tests. I wanted a finished gun dog, which she is, but after not doing hunt test for a season, I miss the challenge and fun of running hunt tests. I wish I had just kept it going, she is such a gifted dog...with the C 19 mess going on now getting back into hunt tests is a mess!

Maybe in the fall...we will see...

·
Registered
322 Posts
After our girl earned her Senior Hunter title and WCX title I stopped running her in hunt tests. I wanted a finished gun dog, which she is, but after not doing hunt test for a season, I miss the challenge and fun of running hunt tests. I wish I had just kept it going, she is such a gifted dog...with the C 19 mess going on now getting back into hunt tests is a mess!

Maybe in the fall...we will see...
I hope you get back into it. Fun for both handler and dog.
The definition of a "finished gun dog" usually changes as a dog (and a handler) advance.

·
Registered
537 Posts
SRW...thanks for the comments. Actually, we have a new pup who will be ready for hunt tests in the fall. Of course, assuming the C 19 mess clears up a bit by Fall. That will give me time and motivation to run both dogs again...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I made two big mistakes. Not rolling up my nice carpets, and allowing him to become addicted to destroying cardboard/paper products.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts