Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've wanted to post this thread for a while, but I was just... I don't know... embarrassed, I guess. I'll admit, I was an uneducated buyer when we selected Mojo, and I worry that we may have a bad choice. His parents don't have heart or eye clearances, and they had two different litters going on at the same time.

Maybe I'm wrong and Mojo will be fine, but here are their pedigrees.

Dad: http://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=169198

Mom: http://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=211184

What do you all think? And what does OHR mean?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I don't know. I just clicked on it. Actually, I don't know anything about pedigree I was just looking out of curiosity.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
My Hank's parents don't have any clearances that I can find but I love him just the same and he's beautiful. He was a heartfelt gift from my daughter after my Maggie passed. Clearances aren't a guarantee. Mojo wasn't a bad choice, he's your dog to love and care for, clearances or not. Why be embarrassed? Our pets come to us in different ways for different reasons. People that rescue many times know nothing about the parents, that doesn't make their dog any less a great pet.
Don't over think it.

·
Registered
10,557 Posts
OHR is Open Health Registry. Scout was a big boy at 98 pounds! His hips were Fair, elbows were not done, heart and eyes, if done, do not appear on OFA or the OHR.

Mojo's mother has hips and elbows recorded on OFA. Her parents do not have any clearances recorded that I can see. A few generations back, there are some dogs whose titles would indicate that some care was taken in their breeding.

Mojo may be just fine-I wouldn't stress out over it. His breeders look to be BYB or similar. You could have done a lot worse, and there might not have been any clearances.

Mojo is yours, you love him and he loves you, and if anything should happen, you will do your very best to take care of him.

·
Registered
10,557 Posts
The OHR allows breeders/owners to record additional health or other information about their dogs.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Don't be embarassed! I think you will see that many members here have gone the BYB route too before becoming more informed and educated about it.. Mojo could never be a bad choice though!! We live and learn!

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
My golden boy Ryder was from a BYB.
I can't tell you if his parents had any clearances.
All I knew at the time was that they were CKC registered.

Ryder was a beautiful boy and had the personality to match.
Until we discovered his heart problem - which was not hereditary - he had no health issues whatsoever.
He was a great dog right up to the end and I wouldn't have changed a thing about him (well maybe I would have asked for a couple of more years!).
We all learn through experience.

Enjoy Mojo!!! When you look at his face, do you think you've made the wrong choice?
I bet the answer to that is NO!

Everything happens for a reason and he's the one that you were meant to have.
Thank the powers that be that you were chosen to share his life.
It's quite an honor :)

·
Lucy & Dory's Mom
2,760 Posts
I'll never trade a day with my Lucy just because we were uninformed when we bought her. At the time, I thought seeing her parents in person was good enough. Honestly I don't care, because she's perfect to me. At least I saw her parents. I'll never know what poor Dory's parents even looked like. I'm their momma now though.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Don't be embarrassed. I know I keep saying this, but even with all the clearances your dog isn't perfect. Flora's parents had all the right clearances, but at 1 year old she's had knee surgery and is already showing trouble getting around and running. So Mojo might come from parents with no clearances and be perfect! Who knows? It's a crapshoot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts