Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dog whisperer? I find his show to be fascinating, but I have trouble with his main concept - which is - to treat your dog like a dog!

Its really hard for me not to cuddle my toy mutt and let him next to me on the couch. I have a hard time maintaining dominance, I guess.

Kris

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I think he has some good ideas, such as exercise being very important. But I do think he refers to too many behaviors as "dominant" behaviors. Such as walking in front of you when you are on a walk. I have seen a shift in his interactions with dogs towards using more treats and affection when a dog is doing what he wants them to do. That to me shows that he is willing to adapt his methods to different behaviors.

That said, I watch his show because I think he does have some good ideas, but I don't use his training methods with my dogs. I have very easy, happy dogs and I want them to stay that way.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
I like how he teaches and reads dogs, and is able to work with a lot of different breeds in a fair manner. Compared to some of the 'dog training' shows out there I'd rather have him deal with me and my dogs if it were ever needed. And if you've watched, he doesn't forbid giving affection or having your dog on the couch with you, as long as the dog is in the right state of mind.

Lana

·
Registered
429 Posts
I like the Dog whisperer. It's also one of Dodger's favourite shows to watch. I think his "calm and assertive energy" is good for pretty much any situation, let alone dog training. I like that he will switch up his training method depending on the dog. I think I would get along with him better than the guy from "at the end of my leash".

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I like the Dog whisperer. It's also one of Dodger's favourite shows to watch. I think his "calm and assertive energy" is good for pretty much any situation, let alone dog training. I like that he will switch up his training method depending on the dog. I think I would get along with him better than the guy from "at the end of my leash".
Have you seen the guy from In the Doghouse? I don't think the show made it 3 weeks before it was canceled and I can see why!

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I don't like him. I don't believe all that dominance BS. Maybe it works with aggressive dogs but goldens are different.

My boys are obedient and we cuddle and they sleep on the furniture. We have no "who is the boss ?"issues here and all with positive reinforcement.

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
Goldens are different :) Whatever power struggles Daisy and I have had over the years, we've been able to work them out without professional intervention or specific training techniques.

Come to think of it, I don't believe I've ever seen a golden on Cesar's show. But I haven't watched in awhile.

I do like his confidence with packs of dogs. I watched him once introducing a dog to his pack. I was on the edge of my seat thinking there's no way I could ever take charge in a situation like that, I'd be a wreck. Cesar was fine however, and the introduction was hugely successful. I think he does have a gift.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I always thought he was a miracle worker bringing in a new dog to his pack all by himself. Until I saw a few shows where he had several people standing there to help him take care of any fights that would break out. Not that he's not confident and good with the dogs, but at the beginning it was portrayed as if he did all of it by himself. Again, I respect the fact that he now shows that he has a lot of help when he is dealing with a big pack of dogs. To me, that's really responsible on his part. That way people don't think that they can be just like Cesar based on what they are seeing on TV.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I agree with Debles, too much dominance BS.

My first dog was a very strong willed Siberian Husky who I trained with much help from a wonderful positive reinforcement trainer. She was clear early on that Rhiannon was going to be a challenge, and when she was young I did wonder for a while if she'd ever get that the house rules applied to her. We stuck with the positive obedience classes until she was 18 months old, and I was rewarded with 12-1/2 years of a wonderful, well behaved companion who slept in the bed, and cuddled on the couch. I don't think I would have enjoyed the same wonderful relationship with her if I'd ended up with a trainer whose focus was dominance issues.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Personally, we enjoy the show. The standard family script is frustrated wife, wimp husband and disinterested kids and a dog that never gets walked, played with or taken care of hence the dog problems.

I believe he is keyed on dominance/submissive issues is because he works with some pretty strong breeds. Pit Bulls, Rottweilers and these type of breeds need this type of attitude. Our goldens are lovers not fighters so they really don't understand this.

In fact, I have only seen 3 goldens on the show. One golden freaked out every time daddy went into the garage to work on projects. The poor thing would hide and run outside trying to get away. Caesar picked up that it was Mommy that was the problem because she did not like her husband spending so much time that she would get angry about it and the poor golden did not like the stress. I bet they got into huge argument and that poor golden did not like it.

Caesar was called in for 2 goldens by the dog walker because she could not control them. I believed the dogs were purchased as a fixture or accessory of the family. The mother was clueless, The father did not show up on the show and kids were scared of the dogs because the goldens would smother them looking for attention. I gave him credit for chastising the family for not taking care of these dogs needs. It really showed why goldens don't make good yard dogs.

If you watch the show more than once you get the Exercise, discipline and affection motto. Promoting these to any dog any dog owner or potential owner is so positive. How many dogs in shelters and rescue groups would not be there if the owner had applied some of these items. I amazed how many people buy dogs at the spur of the moment and not think these things through.

By the way, I would take Daddy in a millisecond.......What a cool dog ! His former owner (rap singer that I cant recall) was smart bringing him and taking responsibility for his dog by having him trained and being gentle. how many pit type dog owners dont do this and the breed has such a horrible reputation.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
By the way, I would take Daddy in a millisecond.......What a cool dog ! His former owner (rap singer that I cant recall) was smart bringing him and taking responsibility for his dog by having him trained and being gentle. how many pit type dog owners dont do this and the breed has such a horrible reputation.
I agree with you totally on this! I love Daddy and to be honest, my friend has 2 pitbulls and they are the biggest sweeties!! It's all in how you raise them!

I personally like the show, it reminds me that even though I love to cuddle with my dog and show him affection, he still needs the proper discipline, just like children do.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Yep, that's the same show I was talking about! For some reason they changed the name in the states. It's been on for years in Canada.
Okay, now I'll know what people are talking about when the mention At the End of My Leash. I hadn't ever seen that show. Well, actually I have, just by another name. LOL. I really didn't like that guy one bit!

·
<---Bring on the grub!!!!
3,737 Posts
Okay, now I'll know what people are talking about when the mention At the End of My Leash. I hadn't ever seen that show. Well, actually I have, just by another name. LOL. I really didn't like that guy one bit!
Yeah, I couldn't stand him either....I can't even remember why except that I would get 5 minutes into the show and then turn the channel because he was so annoying.

I like the Dog Whisperer show (plus Cesar is cute and that Mexican accent....oooo la la :p:). I've learned a lot from the show but I don't think I would ever do the alpha roll. As FosterMom has said, I've seen a shift in some of his methods towards a more reward based system.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,079 Posts
We also enjoy wathing The Dog Whisperer. I think his "calm, assertive energy" logic is real. When Austin and Lincoln used to fight, I truly believe it was our negative energy that was causing them to do that. We would just assume it was going to happen and it did. We just had to be positive, calm and assertive when dealing with them, and when we exhibited that, it worked. They are perfectly fine now.

I'm bad however, when it comes to the exercise, affection and discipline thing though. With me affection seems to come first!!!! Thank goodness we haven't really needed to discipline too much but when we do, we make sure we don't nurture any further bad behaviour by showing affection right away.....it's hard!!!

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I have to admit I haven't watched his show in forever because his whole dominance thing and his attitude , made me barf.
If he's changed his approach to more positive: good.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Caesar was called in for 2 goldens by the dog walker because she could not control them. I believed the dogs were purchased as a fixture or accessory of the family. The mother was clueless, The father did not show up on the show and kids were scared of the dogs because the goldens would smother them looking for attention. I gave him credit for chastising the family for not taking care of these dogs needs. It really showed why goldens don't make good yard dogs.
I don't watch this show a lot, but I happened to see this episode and I thought it was a riot! The 2 goldens were out of control due to lack of exercise, attention and training, and they were typical overexuberant goldens. I got a kick out of it because as Cesar was going through his training demonstration, he started to lose his cool and get a bit frustrated because of how exuberant the dogs were. I've never seen him be anything but calm, cool and collected, so it showed he is human and not always perfect like the rest of us. It really drove the point home about how patient you have to try to be when training.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
Nope, can't stand him! Flipped to it today just to see him storm into the house of these people and scream at the dogs for barking... yeah ok.

Lana

·
Registered
813 Posts
I think he's great. Bailey would not be the dog that she is today if I had not seen his show and read his books. She had some agression problems when I got her. I took her to a trainer that breeds goldens, and I was told that this might just be the way she is. I didn't like that answer and set out to work her issues out on my own. I didn't follow his methods totally, but it sure has helped.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts