Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Mom to Sonny and Seamus
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using peanut butter to give Seamus and Sonny their allergy pills but it is causing plaque on their teeth. What do you use??

Thanks!

Debbie

·
where the tails wag
13,369 Posts
I use peanut butter when my dogs need pills and it has never caused plaque - I would look at the food you are feeding and/or add chewables to their day. Disclaimer: I feed primarily raw although they (my dogs) do not get bones to chew.

·
Registered
8,044 Posts
Plaque is also caused by dryness- so maybe try giving them something to chew on that will cause saliva to be produced.

·
Mom to Sonny and Seamus
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I feed Orijen 6 fish dog food. Thinking of adding raw bones for them to chew.

·
Charlotte
6,452 Posts
Jess takes a thyroid pill. Ideally it should not go in a protein source. He takes it in a teaspoon of honey or in a pill pocket. As far as his teeth, they are on good shape. He gets a marrow bone once a week.

·
Riley
1,023 Posts
Cheese, hot dog, bread... Really anything small that they can swallow without chewing. Or I'll throw it in their food bowl when they eat - works for a while, until they wise up and eat around it.

·
Charlotte
6,452 Posts
Off the track, but our finicky but sweet 17 yr old calico cat now takes her tapazole only in butter.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
With Gracie I just drop her thyroid meds in her dry kibble and she eats it. Have had dogs in the past who would eat around whatever I put the pill in. The Corgi we had years ago took pill spitting to a whole new level. We would hide the pill in a really high value treat and she would seem to eat it. Hours later we would find the pill spit out in another room. It got to the point where the vet had to give me a pill pusher to get meds into that dog. She was simply too smart for her own good.

·
Registered
12,921 Posts
Tesia's NSAID for her arthritis was quite small, so I just put it in with her kibble and would make sure it got eaten up with her dinner.

Her bigger antibiotics and chemo pills later on all went into Pill Pockets. They make life so easy. The couple of times Shala has needed meds, I have also used Pill Pockets just because I find them so stress-free, for both me and her!

Reactions: danoon58

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,675 Posts
I use a little dab of peanut butter, I don't use very much. No problems yet with tartar on my boy's teeth, I brush them weekly and he also gets bones to chew on.

·
Registered
68 Posts
We're only dealing with a puppy (13.5 weeks) but he needs to take an antibiotic for a rash he has. He absolutely LOVES the chicken flavored Pill Pockets. They're stinky and moist and he'll follow me around and perform 15 commands in a heartbeat just to get it. Definitely have worked well so far...

·
Registered
266 Posts
I just toss a couple of treat bits for him to catch, the third or forth toss will be a pill. Before he even realizes what it was it's gone. Easy.

·
Registered
95 Posts
When Callie had antibiotics for her ear infection I ended up putting the tablets into small pineapple chunks. She was out smarting me with everything else id tried including peanut butter and cheese. She'd eat the food and spit out the tablet. But pineapple worked amazingly well!

On the plaque front, Callie is on kibble but gets fallow deer antlers to chew on which is keeping her teeth in check (she only has a couple of marks on one tooth) but she is also only 2.

·
Mochi's mommy
303 Posts
I pop them in his mouth and he swallows them
(he's that awesome)
mochi does that too!! i treat it like a treat and give it to him after a good sit or down and he eats it no problem.. or i give it alongside a few kibbles apparently he cant tell the difference or doesnt care

1 - 20 of 21 Posts