Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new board member at a dog club. This is the first club I've ever been in and I've only been in the club for a year. The club has been around forever and sometimes that makes it hard for a new member to navigate or for change :D. I'm wondering what ideas you might have for me to ponder? Or links to great club web sites? Our web site is a bit tired for example. What do you love about your club that you would recommend other folks do? What helped you as a new member? Any ideas would be so welcome.

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
What is the focus of you club?

Goldens?
Obedience?
Agility?
Field?
Health?
Conformation?

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
My new club is all about hunt and that is it. SOme of the members do other things with their dogs but it is a hunt training club. They are really nice people and I like them all. One thing I dont care for is that they all think e-collars are the way to go. I dont want to use an e-collar so I dont get as much help on training. But that is okay with me.

My old club let see what did I like about that club.....oh yea abuot 4 members. The club we paid dues, we paid the same amount for classes as the person off the street, we worked( volunteered) for all events, got no discounts for said events, we were expected to help clean up with instructors after class that we paid for. We did get a shirt!!
I had alsorts of ideas to promote the club They didnt want to do any of them but after I left the club all of my ideas are in play now. That suxed. I have lots of ideas I love to share them but I never get credit for them. Oh and the instructors well none of them ever went to a dog training class they might have competed in that area but they could work with a dog that had issues. That bugged me. I would take people off to the side and help them with their re-active dogs as I have worked with many of them doing 30+ yrs of rescue work.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, a bit more information would have been helpful wouldn't it?? DUH

Anyway the club has been around for more than 30 years and has members who are very interesting in showing (all kinds) to pet owners to 4H. We offer weekly training for anyone in the community (puppy classes) for a fee and on-going training on obedience and rally and adv. puppy for members (yearly fee, no fee for class). The classes are run by volunteers and are very popular.

As I new member the big thing that hit me was knowing what was going on, the web site is dated and there was no packet of information explaining things. Luckily I knew a lot of people but not everyone has a group for information.

I'm looking for ways to blend in the new folks and ideas to invigorate the existing. We are not doing seminars right now and that might be interesting, or has anyone tried bulk purchases of dog items to save members money? There are fun new things to do with dogs (scent, balls) that might be cool to try.

I'm just wondering if anyone has suggestions of successful things their club does. Even links to great web sites to learn from would be helpful.

Any advice you can give would be appreciated.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
I'm not in a dog club right now, but I'd be interested if there was a way to get discounts on dog food. You might consider offering seminars/discussions. There are a lot of new ideas about training, etc., and it would be interesting to have a panel of speakers with different points of view. It might also be fun to have a "social" of some sort (perhaps a potluck) surrounding a major dog event such as the national dog show, or other. Your dog club sounds active and fun. I've looked into my local one but it only seems to offer basic training and not much else.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts