Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the late 1980's when we showed Dobies in California, we have always fed our dogs Science Diet Lamb and Rice. They maintained a healthy weight on it, minimized their poo, and it helped maintain their coats in good condition.

But we realize there has been a lot of development in dog food in the last twenty plus years. Also we realize it is possible that the coat and skin needs of goldens are different than those of Dobies. So we are interested in what kibble as well as any nutritional supplements people here feed their goldens routinely.

·
I ♥ my Zazoo
431 Posts
In Canada, I feed my babies Performatrin Ultra Grain Free.. But I have read that a lot feed theirs Blue Buffalo brand and many others.. I guess it depends on what works well with your dogs.. :)

·
Registered
983 Posts
I recently switched Lily from Science Diet Large Breed Puppy lamb and rice formula to Wellness Large Breed Puppy Super5Mix, and oh my gosh, what a difference! Lily has always had a nice coat and healthy weight, but I didn't like the ingredients in Science Diet so I switched to Wellness. I didn't think Lily's coat could be any better but it was after I switched. Seems to have gained more muscle mass, too.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
We feed Taste of the Wild Sierra Mt (Lamb). We also give Dogzymes (probotic) and a nightly vitamin - Nuvet Plus, also a bit of pure Salmon oil. Morning feeding we do kibble and dogzymes, night they get their kibble with salmon then a vitamin after their walk. So far both have wonderful coats and Vet is happy with their overall growth and look.

We are trying TOTW because it is sold locally and when we retire in a few years the only petstores are over an hour away. Hoping we have good luck on a brand we can get in our town without the long trip.

In the beginning it is a trial and error to find the right food for your dog, think all of us have/are going through this. Just give them at least a few months with each new food and transission very slowly to the new food.

·
Registered
639 Posts
We feed Ozzy Fromms but because of some potential allergy issues with him we're messing with his food a bit. We'll go back to Fromms if possible.

·
Registered
120 Posts
well the food industry in india sucks big time ...
the most expensive food available here is royal canin & is considered to be the best ...

which sucks big time , the vet usually recommend either eukanuba or royal canin ....
no other brand of food is available here well yes u do have pedigree but that food is even worse den the two ...

Is Hill Science good ? Taste Of The Wild has no puppy formula here in our Country ...
SO I END UP feeding my puppy royal/eukanuba in the morning & home meal in the evening :( :( :( :(

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I feed Proplan Large Breed Puppy. Beamer does great on it!

·
Registered
788 Posts
The vet suggested we switch Nyah to adult food at 6 months so we did. We now feed her pro plan sensitive skin and stomach, as well as I have been adding some blue wilderness into it for more protien. I also give her a fish oil every day as well as shedless omega vitimans (just started so not sure if it works yet).

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
We feed Eukanuba large breed puppy, since we think there's good science that supports the idea that lower calories and lower calcium/phosphorus content promote slower, healthier growth. We switch to Eukanuba PP 30/20 at about a year. The dogs are shiny, healthy, and have good lean muscle.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I feed Ada Wellness Large Breed Puppy. She is doing very well on it, her coat is extremely shiny and she has lots of energy.
Cookie loves her Wellness too. Usually the chicken (purple bag), but I recently tried mixing in some of the Wellness Core and she really likes that. :)

·
Registered
783 Posts
Amber

We feed Amber Natural Balance Potato and Duck, one carb source and one novel protein. She is 5 1/2 mos. and 50 lbs. Happy, healthy and in good condition. :wavey:

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
I feed by last golden, Lucky, Proplan chicken and rice most of is life. I tried other brands but he did best on the Proplan. My yorkies eat Blue buffalo chicken and rice. Little bellies and very active so it was tough to get them to eat enough if the food is not nutrient rich so they don't lose weight. The blue buffalo was too rich for Lucky. My newest addition, Buddy, is transitioning from Purina Dog Chow to Proplan performance chicken and rice- I rescued him last week and by the end of this week he should only be on the Proplan. I did not want to switch him too drastically for junky dog food to holistic. I will probably leave him on the Proplan for and see how he does. He does eem to love all food and will wait for the girls to finish and then finish off their food too.

·
Phoebe's Dad
99 Posts
Here in southern Ontario, I feed Phoebe Authority large breed puppy kibble.

Its great. She is 7 months old and everyone who pets her cant believe how soft she still is!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts