Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking today about what we do to/for/with our dogs that we never imagined when we first became dog owners. I knew and realized we'd be scooping poop, taking walks, giving baths, cleaning ears and grooming our dogs. I also imagined that one day we might need to make that awful decision to euthanize our beloved family members. But today, as I was preparing to inject Toby with his twice a month cobalamin injection, I got to thinking that I never imagined giving one of my dogs a shot all on my own. Yet, I do this twice a month--and am as nervous as can be each time! It doesn't get easier! :no: It doesn't seem to faze him in the least, probably because he knows I'll shower him with tons of treats afterwards! I'll be doing this for the rest of his life.

I also never imagined giving my dog eye drops every day of his life, yet I do this every morning and every evening with Toby--it's second nature now.

I never thought I'd vacuum a dog--but Barkley loved getting his fur vacuumed--he would block my progress in order to be vacuumed.

I also never imagined I'd need to use a child safety lock in the car to prevent Barkley from opening the windows on his own--yet he knew how to open them by himself. He was always seat-belted in, but I didn't want to risk him opening the window while going 75 on the highway.

Barkley also knew how to open interior doors in our home--never thought we'd need to install keyed locks on those doors to prevent dog access!

I never imagined our former mailman would ring my doorbell and ask to borrow my dog Beau to make rounds delivering the mail in my neighborhood. Mail was delivered in the alley in that subdivision and he used a truck to deliver it--he enjoyed the company, Beau enjoyed the ride, and I got a very happy dog delivered to my front door by the mail carrier. I sure miss that mail carrier!

What have you done to/for/with your dog that you never dreamed of before bringing a dog home?

·
Kate
21,659 Posts
When I was a little girl I thought dogs were smelly. As much as I was crazy about dogs, I hated the fur getting all over my clothes and bed, I didn't like being licked by dogs... and right down to the kissing my dog. Before our Charmy, it never would have occurred to me or my sisters or brothers to kiss dogs or cats. :)

Fast forward to today - my dog has his own spot on my bed. I love the way his fur smells and don't care if I wake up in the morning with dog hair stuck to my eyelashes and face. I've gotten used to wearing colors or cloth types that don't show hair too much or don't "attract" hair too much. And my dog gets kissed to pieces. His nose especially. It's just kissable.

And I can't imagine not having a dog near me at all times at home. My current guy especially is my shadow.

20+ years of being around my dogs has really made me besotted about the creatures. And losing them one at a time has really made me value the time they are here.

I'm pretty sure the point where I started kissing my dogs every chance I got was the day I was sitting on the floor with Charmy in my lap and listening to my mom crying on the phone while talking to the vet.

·
Remy's Mom!
1,797 Posts
When we thought Remy ate something that could cause a blockage we searched through his poo everytime he went for about a week... and I never thought I'd be the crazy lady outside looking through her dog's smelly feces to find a foreign object! Gross, but it shows my love for my boy, haha :)

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I've always been a rough and tumble girl, so most of the things I do with Flora are pretty ordinary to me. However........

She has a habit of uh, eating long and stringy grass, and um, sometimes it gets... stuck on its way out. I never imagined I'd be the crazy dog owner pulling grassy poop out of her dog's behind because her silly dog can't do it herself.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Tucker is my first dog ever... and I always thought I'd never let him up on the bed or couch.. but now I pretty much use him as a pillow all the time when we're watching TV.

I also enjoy his frito feet for some reason LOL.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I have always had dogs and my parents were major dog lovers too. So my dogs have always lived in the house, slept with us, been part of our family.

But I never expected that I would be up half the night with my dog having grand mal seizures, becoming an expert in hypothyroid issues and megaesophagus.

I never expected to really get into obedience training (our childhood dogs were only housebroken and that's it), tracking and having my dog certified by the Delta Society and being a therapy dog. Also Selka and I became a hospice team.

I never thought I'd pay so much for dogfood, treats, toys and grooming for my dogs. I buy more supplements for my boys than I do for myself.

I never would have believed that I'd spend years taking my dog 100 miles round trip weekly to an opthomologist and spend at least $10,000 on treatment (15 eye drops a day)for glaucoma and uveitis. He has definitely been worth it. And we had his eye removed to save him from horrendous pain.

I never thought I would take my dog to daily treatments to deal with pain for bone cancer and research so many cancer clinical trials.

My dogs and my kids are my life.

·
Phoebe's Dad
99 Posts
Spooning with them when they lay down next to you in bed in the morning lol

Don't pretend like I'm the only one who has done this lol

·
Registered
8,463 Posts
I have always loved dogs, from a mixed breed, to when i fell inlove with goldens, i never would had thought i would brush their teeth, to be honest, but also never knew how much i would love, and have a dog,that he and i were so a part,of another, that was spencer, i love him so much.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts