Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mad::mad::mad: I'm so tired of taking Bailey on our walks to have other dogs come up and challenge her. Bailey is definatly afraid of them and tries to crawl under me. I'm yelling at the dogs, telling them to go home and they just want to challenge my girl. They growl and circle us. One dog has actually bitten Bailey in the neck, but not hard. Yesterday I almost tripped and fell down due to a black lab growling at Bailey. Of course, these dogs are off lead as their owners do not follow the leash law. :mad::no::mad:

I do carry mace, but I haven't used it yet with Bailey around. I'm afraid I'm going to get Bailey in the eyes and I know it's extremely uncomfortable. What am I suppose to do when these things happen? I'm afraid this is going to make Bailey fearful of all other dogs. Every dog that has come up to us has challenged my girl. Is this pretty normal? I do have my cell phone in hand in case I need to call the police. Should I be calling animal control? It was bad enough without Bailey, but since I've been walking her, more dogs come out towards us.

Two years ago when my running buddy and I were attacked and bitten by the black lab, later on in the year the owner came out and confronted us. He told us he was angry we called 911. The police fined him and made him put his dog to sleep. The nerve of people. It was an awful experience for us and I know how Bailey feels when these dogs approach her.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Sorry to hear this! I have no suggestions! Noone around us take their dogs off leash. If it was my area I would definitely call animal control!

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live in a rural area, so a lot of people think it's alright to let their dogs run at large or they tie them up on a chain 24/7.

·
Registered
13,732 Posts
I am sorry you are going through this.

I would probably look for somewhere else to walk or perhaps a different time would work?

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
I don't know about a general solution to the problem, but I do have some advice if you find yourself in the same situation again. If you're yelling angrily at the dogs, you're probably making Bailey more scared and making the other dogs more defensive. Take a calm, strong posture, and stand between Bailey and the dogs. Avoid eye contact but stand as tall as you can and put your shoulders back as much as you can. That might suck some of the bad energy out of the situation and encourage the dogs to leave faster.

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What do I do if the dogs bite Bailey? Do I let go of the leash? I know that Bailey feels less secure when I'm leash walking her, she doesn't feel as in control.

Your right about me yelling at the other dogs. I'm sure Bailey doesn't like it. It feels right at the time and I feel like I need to stand my ground. It did work on the dogs that attacked us.

I've talked with some owners about their dogs, I've been venturing out for the last 7 years and gotten to know a lot of people on my walking route. I don't want to walk anywhere else, it's beautiful out here. Some of these people are in denial and say their dogs are nice and don't bite. I completely disagree with them as their dogs circle us showing their teeth. The town/city writes in the newsletters about these problems and they have to be stopped. These newsletters are sent to everyone in the county.

·
Premium Member
Lush, Mystic, Hiphop, Dreamer, Sayer, Fable, Magic, Chelsea, Chapin, Cambridge, and Velvet
16,453 Posts
I really agree with Tippykayak. Generally if you are relaxed, and Bailey acquires some excellent doggie communication skills by playing off leash with happy, nice dogs, then she will broadcast a good energy/communication that other dogs pick up on- even mean, off leash hooligans. If you yell/mace, she's going to be doubly afraid which snowballs in the wrong direction. Hopefully, you can set up a whole bunch of playdates to offset some of these experiences.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I agree with Tippykayak.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Tippy gave you sound advice. Your dog will sense your fear. Stand tall and keep on walking. Hopefully the other dogs will get the signal and leave.

I've been fortunate to have a supervised playgroup for Molly. She's been going twice a week for a hour a session for the past 2 years. She's learned to handle herself with other dogs. I'm finally confident that she can take care of herself and no longer fear such encounters.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
I stand tall and position myself between the approaching dog and my dogs. I keep telling the other dog to "go on" and I'm ready with citronella spray if I need to use it. I've also thrown a pile of treats (I always walk with treats, poop baggies and citronella) at the oncoming dog, and that can give me time I need to get outta there with my own dogs.

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I stand tall and position myself between the approaching dog and my dogs. I keep telling the other dog to "go on" and I'm ready with citronella spray if I need to use it. I've also thrown a pile of treats (I always walk with treats, poop baggies and citronella) at the oncoming dog, and that can give me time I need to get outta there with my own dogs.

I will bring busicuts along too. I always bring a poop bag. In fact, I dropped the poop bag on the ground when Bailey almost tripped me and I squished the contents inside. Good thing it was a strong plastic bag.lol

I do have playdates for Bailey all the time. I've also had her in puppy class and socialized her well. It's a problem when these dogs come after us on our walks, especially if there are more then one dog at a time. Bailey has become very fearful of new dogs on our walks and I don't blame her.

I wish people would take better care of their dogs. It's not fair to us, Bailey and I shouldn't have to be afraid when we are walking on the roads.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts