Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Sophie has been scratching pretty much since I brought her home 5 wks. ago. I thought it was b/c she was not used to harness or collar (scratched in those areas). I have given her 2 baths so far (when she came home & once she rolled in something stinky outside). I am noticing lil' dry flakes throughout her coat. I want to bath her today relieve the itch get rid of the flakes. Don't know what to bath her with! Flea shampoo? Anti fungal shampoo (read below crusty callused elbow pics on GRF.com). Maybe Baby shampoo? I appreciate your suggestions!:)

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
If she is dry and flaky with itchy skin, she may have an allergy to her food. I bathe Bailey with tearless shampoo and put conditioner on her. Bailey had minimal flaky skin due to the dry weather, but was not itchy. The conditioner has made her coat so soft and took care of her flakes.

You may want to call your vet and ask also. I'm sure they can help you solve this problem, especially if your pup has allergies. Allergies are very common in Golden Retrievers. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
I'd suggest an oatmeal shampoo. You also don't want to bathe too often because the natural oils on their coat are beneficial.

You may want to talk to your vet about adding a fish oil supplement, too.

·
Premium Member
18,458 Posts
Oatmeal shampoo is a good place to start. Don't use human shampoo, the PH balance can actually dry out their skin.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts