Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Knock on wood, there hasn't been anything they've destroyed that made me that upset. Chewed shoes, new toilet paper rolls, scratched painted doors, ripped up landscaping, chewed built in cabinets, drywall...

I can handle it. I just sigh and figure out what I did wrong and how to avoid it next time!

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Bridger has done a small amount of chewing to the folded down seat of my CRV - no big deal, not much damage & won't show when seats are in upright position. He only did this when he was only dog in car.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
One time vito and I were playing outside and he jumped up grabbing my shirt in the process and ripping a big hole in it. It was an expensive shirt that I was wearing for the first time too! But it didn't make me sick. I was just sad. Lol

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know we love our goldens so much, how could they make us feel sick when they chew up something:p:. Things are replaceable but our goldens aren't:). I guess I should have asked about destruction that was unusual:eek:

·
Registered
699 Posts
Not really destroyed, but...

Right before we got Wilson, we got a new bedroom suite. It was the first brand-new furniture we'd ever gotten. Even 2 years later, I still look at it and smile. Well, one night, we were having family read-aloud time with a bunch of kids snuggling on the bed, and Wilson was playing around on the floor. Just like with kids, when things got too quiet, I knew I needed to check on the little gremlin (about 3 months old at the time). Sure enough, one of the legs on my brand new bed had lots and lots of teeth marks in it. I tried so hard not to cry. It's not about things, it's about people...and dogs. Anyway, it's on the far side of the bed, and not very noticeable, and these days, when I vacuum and see those teeth marks, I just remember that little ball of fluff, looking up at me with those big brown eyes.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Here's a stomach churning story that my parents' golden was responsible for, but my parents are too mesmerized by his cuteness to care. They are antique collectors. As a puppy, he teethed on the skirt of a 17th century French chest. You can still see the teeth marks. Another time when he was older, he tried to bury a bone in the silk covered down cushion on an antique bench. My mom walked into the living room and all she could see was floating goose down and shredded silk and the dog in the middle of it all looking sheepish. Again, they just rolled their eyes and replaced the cushion. They just are too wrapped around our hearts to do more than cause a momentary gasp.

·
Too addicted to this site
265 Posts
She's never really done anything really bad, but I remember receiving a very solumn call from my husband when Roxy was around 6 months. I have a hippo that was was given to me when I about 5, which I used to take to boarding school and basically has been with me for as long as I can remember (they even let me hold her while I was drifting off to sleep before a huge operation a few years back) anyway I got this call at work from Jonny who sounded so sad telling me "I'm so, so sorry, but Roxy's had Mildred" she'd ripped her leg off and bow off her head - she'd been in perfect condiition before that! I was very upset, but what can you do?

·
Maryland
2,806 Posts
The entire arm of the sofa...the dashboard of the car....three coffee tables and two end tables....the leg on my favorite antique table...the door frame....the window sill...the door...four remotes....three pair of glasses....a wine rack filled with wine .... every flower I had in my garden .... my yard.... LOL

This was not all done by one dog, but by many different dogs over the years. ALL Goldens I might add.

My FIVE Newfs destroyed one rug and a couple of old blankets they were sleeping on/playing with. My Lab has destroyed zero. My Am Bulldog put one tiny little hole in the back of my leather sofa. My Toller has destroyed nothing, except for my sanity. :lol:

·
Owned by Emma
727 Posts
Emma chewed on the floor, carpets, door frames, digs tiles (no damage, of course) but no major damage. We now congratulate ourselves for not starting our redecoration plans prior to getting the puppy. Anything she tried to damage will be replaced anyhow, and she almost stopped doing this.

·
Boudiga
4,102 Posts
the only things she's destroyed that makes me ill is when she kills a bird or other animal. stuff is just stuff - she's done plenty of that, but i'm generally more annoyed, not sickened.

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
I came home from the grocery store back in May-June of "07 to find Ike had eaten my wall. He ripped the wallpaper off, gouged the drywall to submission, leaving the metal edging exposed, and had started on the floor moldings and the opposite wall too....They are still in this condition until I redo the room. I can't match the paper or repair the drywall without ripping out the section and starting over. My daily reminder of Ike's youth. :)

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I have a truly "Golden" girl who luckily has never destroyed anything in our home or yard. Having said that, I also adopted her from our breeder at two years of age and didn't have to go through puppy hood so I am probably disqualified from this question! Haha..

·
Premium Member
16,403 Posts
Tango delicately amputated the plug-in part of the macintosh computer's power cord(unplugged, of course). Had to overnight mail a new one bc there were no macintosh stores in Maine!

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Trace chewed up a $390.00 check...the darling left the corner with the check number and the other with the signature!

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
She has taken care of our previous couch, several comforters and rugs. The worst was my best friends couch cushion when they were dog sitting. :uhoh:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Poppy ate my husbands mobile phone- well, she chewed it up so it couldnt be used, and a digital camera!! And my ID badge for work. Jasper likes to pull the carpet up and pull the underlay out to chew!!!!
But I can't stay mad, cos i know thay dont mean it!!! But touch wood, they have been pretty good recently!!

·
Jester & Piper's Mom
3,325 Posts
I took Jester to my office with me when he was very young and he chewed the 25' long cable that goes to my large format inkjet plotter right in half. I had to order a new one and it was $90.

He has chewed a lot of shoes (thankfully not any "good" shoes) but as you can see from the picture, he also decided to gnaw on my dining room table and chair legs!!! That hurt! It's funny though...I have a couple of things that my first golden Kody chewed on when he was a pup (corners of books, the rungs of an old wood stool, etc.) that when I see them now I just smile. Maybe I'll feel the same way about the dining room table one day?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts