Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

What Did You Do With Your Dog(s) Today?

23K views 661 replies 50 participants last post by  Sankari 
#1 ·
I thought this would be a fun topic, and it’s evergreen.

We went to a preserve. This is Okehocking Preserve in Newtown Square, PA.

Anyone else want to share?

Sky Cloud Dog Plant Carnivore

See less See more
#511 ·
Murph's at the beach! We headed for Hatteras on Saturday morning...it's about 4.5 hrs to the house we're staying at in Avon from home so Murphy's longest car ride so far as well as his first beach trip. He didn't seem to be excited about the ocean but enjoys walking on the beach mornings and evenings. The week was given to my wife by the owners, whose son she taught last year, as an end of year gift. It has a gate at the top of the stairs on the upper deck so Murphy can be outside with us off leash.
Dog Sky Plant Fence Wood
Dog Building Carnivore Dog breed Wood

Sky Daytime Property Window Plant

He has learned to negotiate spiral stairs and to stay out of the hot tub.....
Dog Wood Carnivore Flooring Floor
Wood Floor Flooring Rectangle Hardwood

Dog Sky Dog breed Plant Wood

Overall, I think he's having an owling good time so far.....
Furniture Dog Sky Table Wood

#512 ·
@michaeldwilson - guess that's to be expected, he's gonna be keeping his eye on your movements now 😆 Really love how he's got one paw on top of the other.

@FurdogDad, your wife must be an incredible teacher! 😊 I had some incredible primary, secondary and high school teachers whom I invited to my wedding 5 years ago. They made a huge difference in my life, achievements and academic potential - some of their skills and words resonated with me many, many years later when I went on to do a PhD... Teaching is such an exceptional profession - they really change lives, at least for me 🙏🏽 Murphy better be extra sweet to her for getting this wonderful beach house for a holiday 😉 love the goofy second picture 😝

#514 ·
@FurdogDad that will be such a fun week for you guys! What a lovely spot.

As for us, we were running the bases at the park early this morning before we expected rain (thank goodness, we need it so badly). Bits "rolled" to home plate. She was exceedingly pleased with herself and even after going for a swim when we got home, she's still a bit more tan than normal - that baseball dirt is fine and it's everywhere. Legit bath is in our future.

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Fawn Companion dog

#515 ·
@FurdogDad that will be such a fun week for you guys! What a lovely spot.

As for us, we were running the bases at the park early this morning before we expected rain (thank goodness, we need it so badly). Bits "rolled" to home plate. She was exceedingly pleased with herself and even after going for a swim when we got home, she's still a bit more tan than normal - that baseball dirt is fine and it's everywhere. Legit bath is in our future.

View attachment 903539
Why not make the job 2 times harder for us🤣🤣. We definitely needed rain and we are getting some but its been in the lower 50s.

#517 ·
We’re home from the Virginia rally we visited a friend at Arlington, had a blast with old and new friends, and rode home to Vermont without incident View attachment 903565
View attachment 903566
View attachment 903564
I'm glad you guys had a really safe trip! 😊 I'm extremely sorry for the loss of your friend who served in the Iraq war - he was gone way too soon before his time 😢 I'm sure Glenlivet's and your presence was appreciated by him.. 🙏🏽

#519 ·
Dog Wood Sky Carnivore Felidae
Dog Wood Sky Carnivore Felidae

Went by to check on the Hatteras lighthouse yesterday....it's having some renovations so we couldn't go up. Murphy didn't go because he's not a service animal....but apparently there is such a thing as a service ferret because some girl had one wearing a pink tutu that she was walking on a leash.....who knew?
Lighthouse Sky Building Tower Plant

Sky Blue Land lot Font Real estate

Also, we discovered all roads down here lead somewhere....
Plant Wood Natural landscape Rectangle Tree

#521 ·
Went by to check on the Hatteras lighthouse yesterday....it's having some renovations so we couldn't go up. Murphy didn't go because he's not a service animal....but apparently there is such a thing as a service ferret because some girl had one wearing a pink tutu that she was walking on a leash.....who knew?
Looks like a great time. On a side note, it really gets under my skin that people abuse the system and claim their animals are service animals that actually aren't. Our (the US) laws that do not require any type of legal, issued service animal ID's just seem to invite abuse by those individuals that just do not care about their fellow man. Beginning on March 15, 2011, only dogs are recognized as service animals under titles II and III of the ADA. A service animal is a dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for a person with a disability. "Off my soapbox"

Your trip looks amazing! I am jealous.

#523 · (Edited)
I'm not a fan of disingenuously claiming a dog to be a service animal either....my wife was verbal about it but received no response from the offending party or her family. You gotta walk by multiple signs allowing only service animals to get to where she was. This morning we hit the beach about 9:30(my daughter's B-day) and there was almost a dog fight between a guy with his on a leash and three belonging to some other individuals not on leash.....nobody can get out on the beach without passing a sign that says pets must be leashed......unless you walk across the dunes, which is also illegal and signs are posted. People seem to think rules and laws don't apply to them, only to everybody else....

#527 ·
The only thing I could ever claim my dog to be would be a garbage hauler because she grabs every piece of garbage along the way.

Murph looks like he would like a shore house, please and thank you! 😂
His Mumma would too....as soon as my daughter gets through pharmacy school and marries her engineer boyfriend, they can buy one and my wife and I can retire to it and be the caretakers......good plan, right?

#533 ·
@1oldparson what a sweet photo of them walking together!

Today was wild for us. We had a walk on the books at 10. It was supposed to storm today but not before noon - over and over that was the sound bite from multiple weather sources. Bits and I picked up my sister in law and we got out there. At the 30-min mark, it started raining cats and dogs. Which is fine, we won't melt. But then - and so quickly - it really deteriorated and we were in a huge thunderstorm. We obviously had turned for home at the first rumble, but it got really bad as we hustled back to the car. Tremendously loud cracks that were WAY too close for comfort. The park is largely a forest. As we later learned, tornadoes suddenly were touching down in our area!

My sweet dog just bepopped along in the storm - she was unfazed. Such a good girl. We were keeping it moving but truthfully it was frightening to be out in that weather. I wanted out of there ASAP. Was so relieved when we returned to the car.

Second pic is us before it got bad. Definitely did not need the sunglasses!

Dog Plant Collar Working animal Dog breed

Clothing Plant Smile Mammal Gesture

#543 ·
HarryM,

I am so sorry for your loss of both your wife and Amber. It is truly a blessing on how dogs, especially Goldens, can feel the need and adjust their ways to fill it. That is one of the greatest reasons I do Therapy work with my golden. Cheyenne seems to be able to sense when someone is hurting and will do her best to fill that void. I just have to get her there. I tell everyone that I am just her chauffeur. She does all the work.

#552 ·
Being retired (sort of because pastors really don’t) has its perks. Took Ginger for a walk before it got too warm this morning. After a bit we walked down to the mailbox for the mail. We live in a nice quiet neighborhood so, as I did this morning, I’ll check to see that there are no neighbors out and, if there aren’t, I’ll take her with me without her leash. She heals well but is distracted easily and has little self control.

We have a bench out front and I like warming these old arthritic bones in the sun for a few minutes. Sometimes I’ll take Ginger with me and sometimes just go out by myself. If she goes she most often lays under the bench where there’s a bit of shade. Well, yesterday I went out by myself…not unusual. But what was unusual was, while I was outside, Ginger went to my wife and barked and led her to the front door because I didn’t take her with me. Cheeky girl!😂😂😂

#554 ·
We keep getting soaked in PA - it's like it doesn't rain for 20 days and then it rains for 20 days. So we are trying to time our walks in between storms. Too many off leash dogs at the park today so we abbreviated our walk and spent a lot of time in the yard. Something delicious (read: very dead) is in the meadow and it has attracted turkey vultures. Here Bits is watching them and performing impulse control by not proceeding, but even more so by not jumping into the meadow to roll in whatever is making that stinky smell. She loves rolling in dead stuff.

Plant Dog Sky Cloud Tree

#561 ·
Day before yesterday, I got a haircut and took Ramses out for a ride to the field where we always did our field training. It's been pretty hot and I haven't been able to tolerate it. I didn't do much field training because of the weather and the important meeting I had today. So Ramses had an off day, running around and having zoomies. I am again reunited with my older brother from Norway (we both work in Earth sciences but in different disciplines). First time we are meeting since nearly a year. I am really happy to see him, my colleagues and bosses again and be in the thick of work - I have missed the camaraderie since I am now on a sabbatical. It's a rather strange sensation to be moving back and forth between the two continents though. Switching between speaking European languages and English when I return to the States has been quite disorientating to say the least...

I suspect Ramses knew I was going to leave quite early on and he looked rather sad and whined a bit. He was following me everywhere the moment he saw my hand carry sat out... Usually when I was living in Europe, I took him everywhere with me but now that we moved to the US, this is no longer possible. He will have to stay behind with my husband.. On another note, I am so relieved I am not living on the east coast with the mess in air travel right now. I was thankfully able to get back to Amsterdam fuss free! I hope I will be able to make it back for the 4th of July - for the US independence day but also my husband's birthday... I would be so disappointed to miss 4th of July! I really hope I will be back in time.

Below are some pics of Ramses dropping me off at Portland airport, and his last walk for the evening yesterday (my time might be off with the time differences) where my husband said he insisted on waiting for me to come home 😔 Pictures of my older brother (guy in the white t-shirt and jeans) and I at work. I am extremely jealous he's got the room with the light and me not (not to mention I am the jet lagged one)! 🙄

Dog Fawn Carnivore Whiskers Liver

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Collar Companion dog

Computer Product Personal computer Computer monitor Lighting

Computer Personal computer Computer keyboard Gadget Peripheral

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.