Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My last golden, Sammie, was one very smart girl and picked up things very quickly...so to keep her happy I taught her a couple of unusual tricks. One was to shake after she'd just come out of the water or been out in the rain before letting her inside but my favorite was "Get the hat Sammie".

I'm an avid fly-fisherman and just about all my fishing partners wear a hat of some kind for protection from the sun. Some of us are very superstitious about our hats...I taught her to pull the hat off who's ever head was nearest. She'd grab the hat and bring it to me with big smile on her face much to the surprise of my unsuspecting partner. I never did get a picture of her or the look on my buddies face once she had taken off with their hat. She was a real sweetheart and I sure miss her...

We all probably do the sit, stay, down, paw, etc...have any of you come up with something a bit different?

Pete
Sammie without the hat...

Pete

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ace has really done well with the trick of balancing treats on his nose until he is told it is ok to get it.
My 10 year old boy taught him the trick.

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
For puppy class a few years ago I taught Chester to Stop, Drop and Roll (my son is a fireman) .... ok it's really a sit, down and rollover but when done all together it looked really cute. Murphy will need a trick, he starts puppy classes soon.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Tracer's favorite is to pick up the dog food dishes and find my glasses...

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
Tracer's favorite is to pick up the dog food dishes and find my glasses...
It's awesome, I watched the videos!!

Mojo likes to "take a nap" and "clap his hands" a lot. We also recently taught him (thanks to LibertyME's advice) how to get the cup for food time. He'll get it off the shelf and bring it to me. :D

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
My angel Cody did two things that no one could ever quite believe. He cleaned up his toys by putting them all back in the laundry basket that was his toy box, and he stopped on the mat at the back door to clean his feet. If he had snowballs, he pulled them out, if he had mud, he wiped his feet. I taught him "clean your feet", but the toy cleanup was his own idea:)

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Love the toy clean up....its one mine have never mastered...getting them out they have mastered! LOLOLOL

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Toy clean up is a great trick. Finn needs to learn that one. I tried to teach him the names of some of his toys but he didn't get the hang of it. More likely I wasn't teaching him correctly.

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All very impressive but a golden that picks up after himself - now that's darn pretty good. My current golden, Woody a two year old rescue, knows where the toys are and knows how to get them and leave them on the couch, bed, floor,deck, etc...but he always leaves putting them away for me. I guess they're pretty good at teaching us tricks as well. :)

Pete

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
For puppy class a few years ago I taught Chester to Stop, Drop and Roll (my son is a fireman) .... ok it's really a sit, down and rollover but when done all together it looked really cute. Murphy will need a trick, he starts puppy classes soon.
We have a similar version! I ask, "What do you do if there's a fire?" and he'll chase his tail 'til he catches it, lies down and rolls over.

I can also stand still with him in heel position and he'll circle me backwards and end up back in heel position!

·
Playful Pup
95 Posts
I once taught my Golden to slap five. I'd pat his right shoulder and say "Slap me five, Jake!" and he'd slap his paw down into my hand. I'd also taught him to balance a dog cookie in his nose and wait until I said "okay" for him to drop it and catch it in his mouth before it hit the floor. He was really good at it . . . when he wanted to perform the trick. If he wasn't up to it, he'd just let the cookie fall on the floor after I gave the "okay" command. Lol!

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Both Jasper and Danny know "wipe your feet" at the door. Danny is much better than Jasper at it because he has a huge drive to learn and to do his "tricks". Danny also "crawls". When Jay takes him to the local elementary school to work with the autistic kids, they love to see Danny crawl across the room to him.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
It's awesome, I watched the videos!!

Mojo likes to "take a nap" and "clap his hands" a lot.
Oh yes! I looove the 'take a nap' trick! I remember watching the video of Mojo where he was doing it and I was like 'AAAAAAAAWWW!' And I showed it to everyone else in my family! :p: 'Clap hands' much be so sweet to!

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
Scout knows lots of stuff. At 3.5 months old she could climb a long ladder and crawl up a foot stool and turn the light switch on. Since I brought her home around 8 weeks she has been happily taking my socks of my feet at night, and more recently, finding my shoes and bringing them to me in the morning. A lot of what we do is more typical though (bow, shake, speak, etc.)

·
Registered
274 Posts

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Both Jasper and Danny know "wipe your feet" at the door. Danny is much better than Jasper at it because he has a huge drive to learn and to do his "tricks". Danny also "crawls". When Jay takes him to the local elementary school to work with the autistic kids, they love to see Danny crawl across the room to him.

Pete

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Fostermom I was so pleased with the shake before coming in from the snow or the rain...but how in the world did you ever teach your dogs to wipe their feet before coming in?

Pete
You teach them to "spin" first and then you say "spin and wipe your feet", eventually you can just say "wipe your feet". Danny has to go all the way around me each time, Jasper spins in a circle in front of me. Except sometimes Jasper is in the livingroom before he starts spinning. LOL

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
fostermom
You teach them to "spin" first and then you say "spin and wipe your feet", eventually you can just say "wipe your feet". Danny has to go all the way around me each time, Jasper spins in a circle in front of me. Except sometimes Jasper is in the livingroom before he starts spinning. LOL
I'll have to give that a try...I didn't mention that every once in a while that golden of mine would slip past me while soaking wet and give it one of her better shakes inside... :doh:

Pete

1 - 20 of 21 Posts