Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading Blaireli's post about a grieving dog, and I thought I'd share a story and see if anyone had thoughts.

Our 6-year-old chocolate lab was a rescue, and was always a little skittish in general but we were able to work with him and make him more comfortable around people. In the last few months he's been eating less, has less energy, and just doesn't seem as interested in doing things that he used to do with vigor, like chasing the geese off the baseball field. He walks around with his tail between his legs like something happened to him. And even though he's eating less, he seems fatter. He's also not interested in eating people food anymore, like pieces of chicken. He just sticks to the dog food, and even that he doesn't eat much.

We had a 9-year-old golden that lived here with our lab, and they were together for at least 4 years. The golden developed cancer, and we had to put him to sleep last fall. We don't think the recent issues are related to the loss of the golden, but would be open to anyone's thoughts. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should also mention that our golden showed noticeable signs of the cancer, like walking very slowly, losing weight, etc. He eventually developed cataracts as well and became mostly blind. He was happy and didn't seem to be in pain, so we avoided putting him to sleep for as long as we could. We finally made the decision based on the vet's recommendation.

The reason I share this is that I wonder if our lab is mirroring the behaviors of the golden. He was the younger one, and I imagine he was used to following the golden's lead.

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
I would run a full thyroid panel on him-not the simple test most vets want to run. Lethargy, gaining weight without noticeably eating more, as my one old vet use to say-loss of the "joy of life", can all be symptoms of a low thyroid.

·
Angel Gage's Grandma
8,017 Posts
I would run a full thyroid panel on him-not the simple test most vets want to run. Lethargy, gaining weight without noticeably eating more, as my one old vet use to say-loss of the "joy of life", can all be symptoms of a low thyroid.
That's what I was thinking as I read the original post. Time for a complete check-up and thyroid panel.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I think a full vet check is needed. That does sound like it could be thyroid. Easily treated and will bring back the puppy and happiness in him.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: We just got a concerned call back from the vet. She wants us to come in right away to get thyroid medication. I just wanted to thank all of you for recommending the thyroid check! Hopefully he'll be just fine on the medication. We're also adjusting his diet. Many thanks to all!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Glad you got some answers and the meds will make such a big difference. Good luck and keep us updated.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Hobbes

Hobbes: Please keep us posted-we all care.
Your dog will be so grateful to you!!

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
SO glad you had the thyroid run. You should see results very quickly. Just keep checking, it might take some adjustment to get and keep his levels at an adequate level. Bless you for taking such good care. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Another glad one here. The medical issues are always the first ones to test and eliminate. So glad you got that done and have him on the road to recovery.

I'm sorry for the loss of your Golden last fall. It's so hard for all of you.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Wonderful news that you have gotten to the bottom of the problem. Once adjusted, the medication should show some really positive changes! :D Please keep us updated on the progress.:)

·
Mom to 9 :)
2,383 Posts
Don't you just love this forum!!??? So glad to hear you were able to get an answer to your problem.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts