Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Should we start a thread with examples of what real clearances look like? Seeing that we keep preaching that if clearances are not easily verified on the OFA or CERF websites that puppy buyers should ask to see the clearances in person- should we show them what they are looking for? The difference between prelims and actual clearances and how to read them? Maybe we could turn this into a sticky eventually?

K - I found examples of the hips, elbows and heart from the OFA website but if anyone has an example of pennhip or OVC or a CERF exam handy feel free to add them as well - if you are worried about someone trying to falsify your records PM me and I can photoshop a watermark onto it first.

Reactions: Trebligs

·
Registered
10,565 Posts
Excellent idea! I used to have all my clearances scanned in but that computer and scanner have died :(

I thought about posting a link to one or two of the online stud packets that are out there, but wasn't sure that was a good idea.

If someone who has scanned in their clearances and could post them, that would be great!

I know we could link to blank forms but I think it would be good to see what the completed form looks like.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sample OFA Hip report

As you will notice the dogs registered name and registration number is at the top - make sure this matches the pedigree and the other clearances. Age at evalution - make sure this matches too - if someone is trying to show you a clearance for a dog who was 5 when they had their hips done and the dog who is bred is only 2 you know it doesn't belong to that dog. the OFA number itself is a wealth of info - this one telling us that LR-140920G27M-PI is a Lab (LR) , 140920 means it was the 140920th dog to be submitted, has a "GOOD" rating (that is what the G stands for), was 27 months old when radiographed (this number will always be 24 or over), male (M) and was permanently identified by way of either a tatoo, microchip or DNA profile (PI) - if it says NOPI at the end that means that at the time the x-rays were taken that they could not confirm the identification of the dog.

Attachments

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sample Elbow report

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sample OFA heart clearance

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is a PRELIM report which by the standards and Code of Ethics of ANY breed club is NOT good enough to use for breeding purposes

Reactions: colusmc

·
Registered
10,565 Posts
Now we need copies of the actual heart report and eye report, before being sent in for the registered clearance. These are as good as the registered clearances but look very different.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have both by they are at home and of course I am at work (bad me) - I can always put them up tomorrow if nobody else has by then.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Ok this may be a dumb question, but is there any way by looking at the elbow OFA number to understand how they rate? I know the "G" in the hip means good.

Ann

·
Registered
10,565 Posts
Ok this may be a dumb question, but is there any way by looking at the elbow OFA number to understand how they rate? I know the "G" in the hip means good.

Ann
Good question!

Elbows aren't graded under the OFA certification process-they are just Pass or Fail. If they Fail, they won't get a number.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
LOVE this thread! Very Productive and proactive!

Is there a form/report for patellas? Thyroid?
Are they pass/fail?

·
Registered
10,565 Posts
Thyroid clearance is posted on the first page. It is not a required clearance but some breeders do it anyway.

Patellas are not required either and are not a big problem in Goldens at this point. Some breeders do them, and the certificate for them would be very similar to hips or elbows. Someone may have one they can post. I've never seen patella problems in 30+ years in Goldens so I don't think they are very common at all. I have definitely seen them in the Pugs though!

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Thyroid clearance is posted on the first page. It is not a required clearance but some breeders do it anyway.

Patellas are not required either and are not a big problem in Goldens at this point. Some breeders do them, and the certificate for them would be very similar to hips or elbows. Someone may have one they can post. I've never seen patella problems in 30+ years in Goldens so I don't think they are very common at all. I have definitely seen them in the Pugs though!
Thanks! I was so excited I zoomed right by it!!:doh:
Thanks for the patella info...good to know :)

·
Robin
328 Posts
I was about to upload a copy of an old CERF from, but saw that Ashleigh put it up while I was digging through folders. :) I also have hard copies of export pedigrees and health clearances from Holland and Sweden, if anyone is getting a puppy from either country and wants to make sure the paperwork is legitimate.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts