Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for some info on what can cause yeast infections in the ears. (Or what you can do for recurring infections!)

When we first brought Baxter home he had a yeast infection in his ears and we didn't know until he went to the vet for his first check up. I mentioned that his ears were a bit smelly and wasn't sure if that was normal. Sure enough, it wasn't. We were given cleaning solution and medication and all was fine.

It appears like we're dealing with something similar again. I don't notice the smell as much, but I cleaned Baxter's ears on the weekend and just yesterday I noticed quite a build up of dark (almost black) wax in his one ear.

He is currently taking antibiotics for an overgrowth of "good" bacteria in his intestines. Is it possible that the antibiotics for his intestines could cause the yeast infection in his ear?

I'm quite surprised that he has another infection as we're pretty diligent about cleaning his ears with the solution that the vet provided.

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
Does he get lots of baths? Usually that is caused by a moist ear, either form swimming or bathing. Sometimes a food allergy can cause ear infections, but he is pretty young for that.

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
My dog has had chronic ear problems since he was 8 weeks old(now 4) he has environmental allgeries

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
We see a lot that are caused by a food allergy.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
It may not have been entirely 'cured' with the initial round of meds...

yeast and bacteria love warm, moist environments - ears fit the bill nicely.

Trim hair around ears....keep ears dry...to improve airflow...

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Food allergies - corn/wheat for us. Not in my goldens, but my yorkies. Cronic ear infections, one of my girls was even in a 6 mo study on this. In their case it was a grain allergy. We switched to a no-grain ALS food and no infections in the last 4 mo (keeping my fingers crossed) but this is the longest we have gone without fighting an ear infection. We weekly clean all ears with Malaseb "Flush" even the goldens. So far, so good.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone!

Baxter has seemed to have lots of issues since coming home, and it upsets me every time a new one crops up :(

The first round of meds for his ear were given around 10-12 weeks. Is it possible that the bacteria have taken that long to incubate again?

He's also had stomach issues since we brought him home, and we recently switched him onto a Fromm ALS foods (not grain free though) and started giving him a pro-biotic. His stomach issues seem to have gotten much better, but perhaps it is grain that is causing his stomach upset AND his ear troubles.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
My Maggie (RIP) had almost constant ear infections her first year. After much research, trial & error, we found she had a sensitivity to corn.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Honestly think every dog is different, but in my dogs it was the corn. I (because of this wonderful forum) started giving probotics every night. I am whispering, cause feel I might ginx if I say out loud, but knock on wood, we are doing so well. I hope it continues. The medicine was a constant and I was at my wits end.

I hope you find some success, cause I know these ear infections hurt and being on antibiotics all the time can't be good either!

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Yeast is a fungus, not bacteria. And floppy eared dogs are prone to it. So keep his ears dry and clean. My former vet said to use a cotton ball and a little alcohol--which is a drying agent. Lots of folks say to use gold type Listerine. Not sure about dogs, but antibiotics can increase yeast growth in humans--thus women who get yeast infections after taking antibiotics.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
My male golden suffered with ear infections constantly thru his first year. After many rounds of antibiotics and a switch of vet, it was suggest to me that it could be allergy related. Switched his food to a grain free, chicken free, ALS and NO problems since, that was 2 1/2 yrs ago. Did the same switch with my female golden mix, who had constant utis and again - not one infection in 2 1/2 years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts