Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Leslie
718 Posts
I lost my first golden boy on May 2, 1992 due to liver failure. Probably cancer. He was almost 12 years old. I was so devastated at losing Jake that I couldn't get another golden retriever until 1998 when I got my sweet boy Leo. He passed away Jan. 16, 2010 from kidney failure and pancreatitis. I kept him alive as long as possible with medicine and a special diet but when he couldn't eat or get up anymore I had to make the tough decision and I still cry. He was my heart dog. I still remember him smiling and wagging his tail at me that last day. He loved his momma and I don't think he wanted to leave me anymore than I wanted to lose him.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I lost mine when she was 10 yrs old,in 5 days.She was breathing hard when exercising and had lost a lot of weight.when we tested her,she had a large mass pressing against her chest & stomack and was bleeding,internally.
She died of cancer(hemangioscarcoma).
She was an amazing dog and to this day,I still miss her.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I was just wondering what caused most golden's to pass away. My Lucky passed at 13 11/13/2010 from liver cancer that spread to his spleen causing it to rupture. I did not even know he was sick. No weight loss or gain. No changes in behavior or activity level. He was playing ball the previous evening. He just was slow getting up in the morning which was not like him and his belly was hard. The emergency vet did surgery because an x-ray showed blood in his abdomen. She told me after opening him up his spleen had ruptured so she removed it and no further bleeding was present. However she did find a football sized tumor on his liver. I told her not to wake him up. I did not want him to suffer in anyway. Why put him through so much pain to only have a few months at most more with him?
We have a very similar story. My Casey passed away this past Sunday, October 16. He was fine in the morning, had his usual walk. At noon, you could see he was not himself. By 5pm we had him to the emergency vet. An abdominocentisis showed he had blood in his abdomen :(. As he was critical at that point in time, we chose to gently help him to the rainbow bridge. Likely diagnosis was a hemangiosarcoma that was bleeding. Casey was 13 as well.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Lost Pennie at 7 yrs to a swallowing problem. She lost the ability to swallow one day. She also couldn't close her mouth or lift her head very high. The vet was at a total loss as to what the problem was. There are no specialty vets in Alaska. So we were lost.
Since she couldn't move her mouth or swallow we use a turkey baster to feed her. Unfortunately we could tell most was going in her lungs. We decided that the best thing to do was end her suffering. She was physically healthy accept for the one problem. It would have been nice to find out what exactly it was that caused her problem. It was so frustrating.

·
Finley's pop
51 Posts
We lost our first Golden, Murphy, on August 30, 2011 to hemangio. He had been diagnosed 3 weeks earlier (to the day). Spent the first 2 of those 3 weeks in decent spirits - we had several parties for him (he was very popular).

The last week was rough. We had to spend three days out of town for a wedding. Our dear friend who knew Murph his whole life spent the entire weekend with him - every single hour. It was trying - Murph was getting weaker everyday and uninterested in food.

Murph waited for us to get home. I spent Monday, August 29 at home with him. The vet gave me some medicine to help with his appetite (never in my life thought that would be necessary); we decided to try that for a couple days and help him go if it didn't work.

The next day, I was about to go to work but wanted to see if Murph would potty before I left. Took him into yard, he walked about 25 feet and collapsed. I carried him in (still alive), put him on the couch, and called my wife. We spent another hour with him waiting for the vet to open so we could help him across.

I sat in the back seat with him on the way to the vet. He passed away about a half mile away from vet's office in my arms - the last words he heard were "mom loves you, dad loves you, go find Steve" (Steve was his best bud - a mastif who crossed a couple years ago).

He knew we had come to terms with the situation and did things his way - very typical. We didn't quite have 9 years with him, but he solidified a Golden's spot in our hearts and home forever.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
We lost our first golden 12 years ago to brain cancer. He started having seizures when he was around 7 or so, he died from it about 9 or 10 months later. Since then we've had four goldens, my Tess died in April at 11 years old to hemangiosarcoma. When she was diagnosed they saw multiple tumors on her spleen and liver, so there wasn't much we could do for her. Five days after diagnosis a heart based tumor burst and I chose to euthanize her.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts