Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My co worker and I are so mad right now. We are at work listening to a 7 or 8 month old puppy barking. Why is he barking? Because it is friggin cold outside and he has no shelter. The poor little bugger wants in the house. His owners are home, they are just ignoring him as usual. We are have 70km winds right now so it feels like -20 outside. I have called the humane society, but I had to leave a message. We have gone over to the house, the owners won't answer the door. The puppy won't let us near him. I don't know whether he's scared of us or he's aggressive. We just want to help this little guy. What do we have to do to make people understand that what they are doing to their animals is wrong????:mad::no:

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
In most places, it is a legal requirement for a dog to have shelter. Is your Animal Control officer the same as the Humane Society? If not, I would call Animal Control or even the police (not on the emergency line though!).

If you know the address of the house, can you use reverse look up to get their phone number and then call them?

This just makes my blood boil-a long time ago, I had neighbors with a beagle puppy who was an outside dog :( We got a huge snowstorm, with lots of drifting and I did not see the puppy after that. I asked and was told that the puppy died because "he was too stupid to dig through the drift that covered his dog house." I was wild and really lost my temper on that one.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We did the reverse look up but didn't come up with anything. The Humane society just called back. They are going to look in to it for us. The puppy has been left out in the rain, gotten off his chain (which is only about 5 ft long). The street that we work on is very busy with transport trucks. I don't think they want that poor little thing. We are so scared for this dog.

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
Hopefully the Humane Society will get there quickly. Is the puppy off his chain now? If so, maybe you could lure it to you with some food and then turn him over as a stray.

You are so good to worry about this poor puppy-thank you for trying to help him.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He is on his chain right now. So at least we don't have to worry about him getting hit by a truck. What is the matter with people?

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Thank you

Thank you for caring enough to call the Humane Society.
Let us know what happens.

I don't know your situation or your friends but if nothing is done for this poor pup, you could offer to "adopt" him from them or take him and try to find him a home.

The weather in Chicago is terrible-so cold-that my two dogs laid down in the snow after only being out for a minute because their paws were frozen. I ran out to wipe the snow from between my Golden Rets. Smooch's pads so she could get in. I WOULD NEVER leave any dog, pup, cat, outside period during any season.

There is also an organization called Dogs Deserve Better for Chained Dogs, but the owner would have to be willing to sign the dog over to them.
Here is the info.
http://www.dogsdeservebetter.org/
Click on this link
http://www.dogsdeservebetter.org/reps.html
and look in left hand column and click on area reps for your state:

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We were going to suggest to the owner that we take the dog for them, but they won't answer the door. I will let you know what happens.

·
Missing Naughty Charlie
4,539 Posts
Why do people have dogs if they don't look after them i would never leave my dogs outside what ever the weather.
I think i would just go and take the dog and tell the humane what i had done :mad: maybe then the people would come out the house.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Unfortunately the dog won't let us near him or we would have taken him. We even tried to bribe him with treats. No luck. Hopefully the Humane Society will be there soon.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If the Humane Society goes over there and they don't answer the door for them, what will happen? :(
I think that if they feel the dog is in danger they will take him.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Oh, that's so good! The family couldn't do anything about it?

I wish someone would lock THEM out in the cold sometime. :(

From what I've seen on those Animal Cops shows, if they perceive that the animal is in danger or not being properly cared for, they will either leave a note/warning and come back to check on the animal again, or depending on how severe the danger is (I would think in this case with the weather it's more severe than an animal left with no shelter in nice weather) they will just take the animal and leave a note for the owner to contact them.

Thank you OP, for caring enough for this animal to do something!! I hope the poor dog gets some help.

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
It's 3 above here, but about -20 with the windchill and I'm about to go crazy, because there are 5 dogs and myself in a very small house ;) And the big dogs are going onto their 3rd day without much exercise because of the cold and the weather, but we are managing :) Bindi has figured out she can slide straight from the mudroom through the kitchen and well into the living room if she does it just right-it took LOTS of practice for her to figure that out.

I just don't understand how someone with just one dog can leave it outside in this kind of weather with no shelter.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just read this post and I have to say it just pi**es me off when people mistreat an animal. My Russ is treated the way I would want to be treated! I think they should go to jail for the night:mad:. I think they should get a whole lot more but that's neither here nor there. You said the dog won't let you near it, so it does not trust humans at all, tells me there might be some abuse there (other than being left out in FREEZING temps) That poor baby!!!:(. It just saddens me to no end when people go out and get a dog and then decide it's not worth it to them so let's just chain it up outside and forget about it:no:. You did the absolute right thing in calling the Human Society. Now let's hope they do the absolute right thing and take the dog and find it a loving home with people who have a conscience and will love it. It is 57 degrees raining here and I let Russ outside and watched him from the window and as soon as he was done with his business I brought him back in dried him off gave him a BIG smooch and he is sleeping on (68 degrees heated home) his bed. People have to learn to take responsibility for there animals. Sorry this is so long I just get so upset. You did so the right thing. Keep us posted!!!

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well they finally took the puppy inside. Of course I was away from my desk when it happened. Boy, they would have gotten an ear full had I seen them. We will be watching them closely. At least he is warm now.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
If you're comfortable doing so I think you should still talk to them.

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
Good-maybe it will be better now that they know people are watching. Maybe you can wait for an opportunity and if you see them, comment on what a cute, or big, or whatever, puppy they have and who knows? If they don't really want the dog, maybe you would have the chance to rescue him.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If I see them, I will definetly be talking to them. That puppy deserves better.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts