Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi every 1 here I'm a new goldel onwer I had him when she is 4 month old n previously I'm feeding him purina one n now I feel like changeing her food any 1 know what is the best food brand I need to feed her plzz give me some comment n thx u all

·
Registered
844 Posts
Hi.The brand that i feed my 14 months old boy is Royal canin for golden retriever 29 junior.But as he's getting big i'm soon switching to adult food.In my opinion it's quite good.The lad likes it, he looks good,healthy fur...I think you'll be pleased if you fed your puppy this brand.BUT do not switch it all at once!First mix it with the previous food,or the puppy might get indigestion.
Good luck finding your food!:)

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Is there any specific reason why you want to change foods? Is your pup not doing well on the Purina One? The one thing that I would personally advise against doing is changing you pup's food just for the sake of trying something new. If your dog is doing well on it (firm stools, clean ears, a good coat, clear eyes, and an appropriate energy level), I would be very, very hesitant to change foods. There is no such thing as the "right" dog food since all dogs are different. Our 3 dogs all eat different foods since they all have different nutritional needs. What may be a great food for one dog may not be so great for another. I would very closely evaluate how your dog looks and acts before making the decision to change. That's just my opinion. Others may disagree with me.

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
Is there any specific reason why you want to change foods? Is your pup not doing well on the Purina One? The one thing that I would personally advise against doing is changing you pup's food just for the sake of trying something new. If your dog is doing well on it (firm stools, clean ears, a good coat, clear eyes, and an appropriate energy level), I would be very, very hesitant to change foods. There is no such thing as a perfect dog food since all dogs are different. Our 3 dogs all eat different foods since they all have different nutritional needs. What may be a great food for one dog may not be so great for another. I would very closely evaluate how your dog looks and acts before making the decision to change. That's just my opinion. Others may disagree with me.
I completely agree. Very well said. :)

·
Registered
10,565 Posts
Is there any specific reason why you want to change foods? Is your pup not doing well on the Purina One? The one thing that I would personally advise against doing is changing you pup's food just for the sake of trying something new. If your dog is doing well on it (firm stools, clean ears, a good coat, clear eyes, and an appropriate energy level), I would be very, very hesitant to change foods. There is no such thing as the "right" dog food since all dogs are different. Our 3 dogs all eat different foods since they all have different nutritional needs. What may be a great food for one dog may not be so great for another. I would very closely evaluate how your dog looks and acts before making the decision to change. That's just my opinion. Others may disagree with me.
I quite agree. The best food to feed your dog is one that he/she thrives on, and that you can afford to feed. I fed Canidae, but now that I am unemployed (a status which doesn't look to be changing any time soon), I have switched to Diamond Naturals. The dogs love it (well, they love anything they can eat!), it is a decent food and the price is within my budget. So far, they are doing well on it but it will take a while to make sure they thrive on it.

If you like the Purina One, and he is doing well on it, I see no reason to change. Or, you could look at Purina ProPlan (without the shreds), if you are just uncomfortable with One.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Yeah, I second that big time. I switched Flora off of Eukanuba b/c I thought it was "bad" and tried all these fancy foods, and I had the poopiest/gassiest 8 months of my life. Ugh. B/c Eukanuba doesn't offer a basic fish-based formula I have Flora on Pro Plan, and she's been fabulous on it.

If your dog is doing fine, don't worry about it.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
I think you've received good advice. If you haven't already, it should be time to switch from a puppy food to an adult. It you are comfortable and your dog is going well with Purina One, I would just transition to the adult variety.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts