Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what brands are you feeding your golden. Mine is currently on Pro Plan but I wonder if its good enough or should I move to a better one. He is almost 2 year old. Thank you

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
My three are currently on Pro Plan, a mix of the 30/20 performance and the sensitive skin and stomach formulas. We top it with yogurt, eggs, and/or any fruits/veggies we have in the house. I'm very happy with it :)

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'm feeding Exclusive Chicken and Rice. I switched once to a Pro Plan formula and he broke out in welts. Switched back and no problems. But I think that formula just had issues all around. My vet didn't even like it. But I've heard great things about the other formulas on this forum :) honestly, if your dog does well on it, I wouldn't worry about it much. Feed what you're comfortable with, but always make sure you're seeing a healthy, happy dog!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,596 Posts
My two are eating Purina Pro Plan for Sensitive Skin and Stomach, they also get yogurt, fresh fruits and veggies-whatever is in season added once in a while. I cook them an egg once a week also.

They've been eating it for two years now and doing very well on it.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Tayla is eating a mixture of Grandma Lucy's freeze dried chicken or rabbit for one meal and then their pre-mix and raw either chicken/chicken livers/chicken gizzards and chicken hearts or beef with beef liver and beef heart in a rotation for another meal.

·
Love my two goldens!
202 Posts
I feed Orijen during the week and raw from mypetcarnivore.com on the weekends.
Oh, I forgot to mention that a couple days a week they get 2 raw eggs (mostly just the yolk) on top of the Orijen. I also feed a can of sardines (packed in water) on top of the Orijen once or twice a week.

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
I fee Pro Plan Sporting 30/20 to my young dogs and Fromm Four Stars to my older one. The puppy came eating Fromm Puppy Gold, and is still eating that. They get topping like Honest Kitchen, Stella & Chewy's or fresh foods like chicken or yogurt daily. They also each get a Nordic Natural Human Grade Salmon Oil.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I feed Reese a rotation of foods. She gets Orijen/Natures Variety Instinct kibble mixed with either Merrick, Kirkland cuts & gravy, Organix, or dogswell canned food, topped with cooked chicken in the morning for breakfast and a Stella & Chewy's raw patty at night for dinner & she is doing wonderful. People ask me on a daily basis how her coat is so soft & shiny and I always tell them it is what I feed her & that I only bathe her once a month & brush her once a week. People always look at me like I'm crazy, but it is the truth :)

On a side note - she gets one raw marrow bone a day, & many of fresh fruits & veggies :) She never has any gas & has small, low odor stools.

·
Human to Maximus
219 Posts
We feed our 14 week pup, Maximus, Merrick Grain Free dry food w/ either some of their canned food on top or yogurt. He had tummy problems on Wellness, but he is doing great with this one! I picked Merrick mainly because 1) the company is local; 2) it's human grade food; and 3) all their ingredients are grown in the USA. Maximus loves it!

·
Registered
596 Posts
I give my girl a mix of Blue Freedom and Eukanuba puppy. I was mixing it 50/50 but I am shifting it to 1/4 Freedom and 3/4 Eukanuba because I plan to feed her only Eukanuba as an adult. She's 9 months and I just bought the last of the puppy food for her. In addition to that, I give her fresh veggies from the garden, fruit (she likes apples, bananas and melons), oatmeal (with her breakfast) and other random goodies (soup broths or meat) depending on what we are eating. She also gets treats, some commercial and some homemade. She loves these biscuits I make with ham and carrots.

(p.s. She also supplements our carefully planned diet with grass, berries and sticks, much to our chagrin.)

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
I fed PPP successfully to all my dogs for quite a while. I'd still be feeding it but my vet asked me to try a limited ingredient, grain-free food with Bella because she was getting ear infections and appears to have allergies. After much research I settled on a new product, grain free from Diamond. Mostly they get the beef and sweet potato formula. They're doing very well on it and it works for my checking account. :)

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
I feed Rusty Merrick Grain Free dry food + their 96% wet food as a topper. Also, I'm adding a new dry food to the rotation. Acana Pacifica and I might go back to Fromm because Rusty did very well on it as a puppy.

Also, I have a new 8 month old Brittany puppy I have on Fromm Gold Puppy dry food. She seems to be doing very well on it so far. I'm going to add one more brand for the topper soon. I don't want my dogs to get bored of their food.

I give Rusty different types of fruits, like pears (his favorite) and apples. Stella & Chewy's raw patty's as a treat, and raw marrow bones almost everyday. Rusty's teeth are clean, and his coat is awesome. Can't ask for anything else!

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
Feeding Nutrisource with veggies and yogurt on top, fish oil as well.

Reactions: MyBentley
1 - 20 of 58 Posts