Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Yes they have. No out of sight stays in open. The thing with the leash on the chair. New classes I’ve never heard. What am I missing? I went down to our local obedience club to watch a show and go just before the puppy came home. It was an eye opener! While the club has morphed into an agility club there were a bunch of obedience people who were there when we showed. They were happy to see an old face. Five old friends offered to sponsor me back into the club. It was fun getting caught up. Too many people and dogs that are no longer with us. If it wasn’t emotional enough at that point didn’t my old training partner and mentor walk in with her 8 year old border collie who has 86 otch points. We traveled thousands of miles together to training, seminars and trials. I’ve been working with the puppy. Yesterday I took a metal article out to see how she felt about metal in her mouth. She barked her very first bark at it. Today she had it in her mouth. Too cute. Thanks
B29F0181-E0BC-495A-A6AF-2700531C986E.jpeg

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Here’s a link to the current exercises for all classes and the points for each exercise. AKC Obedience Exercises Chart for All Levels
There are a lot of new classes and changes to exercises. I hope the chart helps. I made it for myself since I was a little lost on what is what, especially when I steward.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I don't like that the stays are gone. I worked so hard on them with my girl getting her ready for Open and then when we were ready to show, they changed the rules......back to square 1. Ugh! I haven't worked on them so much with my boy. Unless I'm entering UKC, there's really no point. You must mean all the optional classes.....I did get a BN on both of mine and my friend wants me to show in Grad Open. I kind of think after this weekend, I'm just going to take a break. I would love to come back to Utility with a dog that's not making stupid mistakes. I plan to keep going as far as I can with him.

She's adorable!

·
Registered
463 Posts
I understand the work that went into your stays. It’s been awhile since I would do all sorts of things to proof stays. From the AKC perspective I get it. OoS stays are a big liability issue. My girl was visited twice by other dogs during OoS stays. I’m glad I was unaware after seeing the video!
Funny you mentioned BN. My training partner suggested we try it. It may be ambitious but our obedience club has a trial each May. We may depending how training goes and how Ella is in a trial environment aim for May 2021. We’re still 6 weeks away from being around other dogs. Utility is called futility for a reason. It’s a hard class. I hope you’re able get back in the utility ring feeling more comfortable. Good luck and Thank you

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
We haven’t competed in utility quite yet. I guess I worded that wrong! That’s our next goal. He’s my first dog at this level. We are still learning. He isn’t always sitting straight, or finishing right, or he’ll walk the broad jump. It’s silly stuff that he should know. He will be 3 in April....so we have time to reach our goals.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Ahh, you have a young boy and lots of time. F&F’s will cost you placements but you will qualify. You can practices those. Disclaimer we never worked hard F&F’s. I figured it was going to be 1-2 points off each time we were in the ring. “ It’s silly stuff he should know.” Ultimately it’s always the handler’s fault. My obedience teacher started seminars and camps by explaining that to all of us. I remember watching video of our first open trial. My girl was wide on the about turn. Watching carefully I saw my left leg and foot caused that. I got in her way. It applies to training too. Do you have a knowledgeable training partner or teacher who can give you constructive feedback? We were fortunate to have a cagey veteran help this guy with his novice A dog. If not I would work the basics, attention and attitude. Work at being interesting to your boy. If you want attention pay attention to your partner. The same applies to putting energy into training. Give it and you’ll get it back. We didn’t get our cd till my girl was 3. She earned her cdx at 5. Obedience isn’t easy. It sounds like you’ve accomplished a lot with a young dog.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts