Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

101 - 112 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Isn't that the remake of Rex Carr's CL-2?
The CL-2 pond is on the other side of the lane, behind me when I took the picture of today's test. We trained on it yesterday. That is TECHNICAL water.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Check out:
CL-2 @ 37.8269771,-120.8544419
Pin Oak @ 33.71007,-96.23962

Leo Joseph's (built by Rick Mock) @ 31.23423,-91.30401

I wish I had one of those water complexes in my backyard!

·
aka Shelby
1,603 Posts
Andy, Roger's waterworks in Onaway.ha ha....

Yesterday we did more water water water even though it got cold...Dog did okay. Didn't end up doing dry pop. Al and me rotate running shelly now so I did marks yesterday and he did the blind stuff. Proof did good, we made it really doable for him. Also worked on poison bird drills over hay bale squares....that was fun. I'm laughing, shelly does not like jumping over something like a limb. So Proof loves it. Yesterday was the first time for the bales...Proof looked like a **** gazelle out there. He is so graceful and loves it....Shelly. ****, I was worried she'd scratch her chest...no, kidding but she is not made for leaping. I saw that and now I see what its not her thang to jump over limbs, ha ha...more meaty bull girl.. ha ha. Dilly Dilly we did land holding angles across slopes and staying low on hills and not driving up....She also did big water set up doubles piggy backing off her long singles yesterday and she pounded the memory birds over all the ponds. So proud of her, and her attitude is enthusiastic so I think she worked her way out of whatever spooked her the other day...So moving forward and training for the trial weekend.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
MOP,

Roger's: Oh yes! I'd have included that place if I had the GPS coordinates ... that place is as good as it gets!

"Dilly we did land holding angles across slopes and staying low on hills and not driving up."
Yep! At a trial where dog-after-dog-after-dog drove up a slope when the mark was at the bottom of the hill, an A List pro was asked if there are any dogs that don't tend to climb up a slope, his response was, "That dog ain't been born yet!" (BTW, you may recall that's what a whole bunch of dogs did on the flyer and the left retired mark in the Am at the last trial I saw you ... who in the world would set up marks like that?!?!?!)

FTGoldens

·
Registered
993 Posts
First series of the AM last weekend
Hen pheasant flier on the left.
IMG_4641.png

Middle retired was a hen pheasant.
Right retired was a duck.
IMG_4642.png

The order thrown was right , middle, then the flier on the left.
I don't know the distances other than the retired guns were farther than the flier and we are in Texas and they like far down here.
The right retired was the money bird for most in this test. It was thrown to the left from the bottom of a pond dike toward the top in moderate cover. Hard to see in the photo but the terrain in route to the bird was varied with hidden water and distractions that confused many dogs.
Jake did this series well with just a very short hunt on the right bird. Had a great land blind too but then crashed and burned on the water blind.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I haven’t post here lately. Not much to add to the conversation. I run HT at MH level. Have always wanted to run a Qual but was so unsure. In thr last 6 months been trying to push more to Q stuff.
Flyer was entered in our first Qual yesterday and he got a jam. While this highlight what we need to work on we weren’t overwhelmed and there were a lot of good take aways. I think we will train and try again.
On a side note I broke my shoulder in December and can only extend my right arm so that the palm of my hand is just over the level of my head. I just started running blinds the beginning of March. I don’t think my wonkie casting has really hurt us much. Flyer has adapted pretty well. I do think i tend to over cast to the right. A compensation that is probably not needed.

·
aka Shelby
1,603 Posts
congratulations Holly! I'm proud you got over your nerves and stepped in the ring. and you had success!! I have no doubt you will be QAA with more tests and continued hard work.

I've had a fun couple weekend trials. last weekend my derby dog won her first trial and that was crazy fun. Proof and shelly both got back to second series then proof to third. It was nice going into the blinds with two dogs, ha ha. This past week I went to Anney's and trained all week. She set up fabulous training grounds and a nice group to train with. Of course we had to hit up Chuys. I was so excited because shelly has been flaring branches in training and trials like crazy and its such a mess of an initial line. Also dikes or mounds. Obstacles in general. Proof jumps over them like a gazelle but shelly ugh. Then she has been struggling looking out and finding guns in bad lighting or with flyers or short guns. I can't tell if its bad luck or just a lack of trying in a trial cause she's fine in training. So this week I worked on those. Also roads also working on crossing roads and taking casts into strong winds. So I was excited to say that she looked past guns this weekend, went over the branch on the land blind, hopped the mound on the water blind and swam past the gunner against the wind in the fourth and ended up with a second in the amateur!! I love it when things like that happen. The things you work so hard on and you get success at a trial for them! It was nice.
Now I'm working on Dilly Dilly's angles and exits on water with gunners that aren't visible in the water. Steadier on line. Proof working on picking up poison bird and the first bird thrown still gets him, and Shelly all the same things I mentioned and I'm going to watch her sits on the whistles.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
congratulations Holly! I'm proud you got over your nerves and stepped in the ring. and you had success!! I have no doubt you will be QAA with more tests and continued hard work.

I've had a fun couple weekend trials. last weekend my derby dog won her first trial and that was crazy fun. Proof and shelly both got back to second series then proof to third. It was nice going into the blinds with two dogs, ha ha. This past week I went to Anney's and trained all week. She set up fabulous training grounds and a nice group to train with. Of course we had to hit up Chuys. I was so excited because shelly has been flaring branches in training and trials like crazy and its such a mess of an initial line. Also dikes or mounds. Obstacles in general. Proof jumps over them like a gazelle but shelly ugh. Then she has been struggling looking out and finding guns in bad lighting or with flyers or short guns. I can't tell if its bad luck or just a lack of trying in a trial cause she's fine in training. So this week I worked on those. Also roads also working on crossing roads and taking casts into strong winds. So I was excited to say that she looked past guns this weekend, went over the branch on the land blind, hopped the mound on the water blind and swam past the gunner against the wind in the fourth and ended up with a second in the amateur!! I love it when things like that happen. The things you work so hard on and you get success at a trial for them! It was nice.
Now I'm working on Dilly Dilly's angles and exits on water with gunners that aren't visible in the water. Steadier on line. Proof working on picking up poison bird and the first bird thrown still gets him, and Shelly all the same things I mentioned and I'm going to watch her sits on the whistles.
Holy Schmokes! An Am SECOND!
MOP, that's fantastic and a great accomplishment ... even if was with the OTHER breed! :giggle: You work hard at it and it's paying off!
Congratulations!
FTGoldens

·
Registered
993 Posts
A blind we ran last week. The terrain is steep. First water entry is at about 80 yards, on the first point, past the second point that is hard to see in this photo. The point at the end is not very pointy, just a curved shoreline that tempts the dog to stay on and wrap around out of sight. The idea is to get a big angle cast into the wind off the last point. When the dog took the correct cast a bumper was thrown past the dog from a holding blind left of the point.
Wind was from the right.

Below is a double blind, wind from the right.

Attachments

·
Registered
993 Posts
First series in the Am today
Right retired thrown right, left retired thrown left, long flier in the middle thrown to the left.
This was a very difficult series. I believe 39 dogs started the trial, 17 called back to the second series
several of those were handled.

Very pleased with Jake on this series, he pounded it.

·
Registered
993 Posts
The last series of the Am today combined the water marks and blind.
All birds thrown to the right.
Right bird 1st then middle and the left bird last.
The left bird was sort of a simulated flier with a shot, thrown into water and sluiced (shot on the water). There was a n honor in this series.
After picking up the first mark the blind was run. It was a sharp angle entry to water, on and off a point, then out of water another 150 yards.
The two remaining marks were picked up after a successful blind.
A tough test. For Jake and I it was an example of the little things that can hurt you in a test.
Jake had the guns all picked out as we approached the mat. I got him focused on the right gun and signaled for the birds. With the exception of when a live flier is shot, I am watching the dog and not the thrown birds.
Jake swung his head off of the right gunner just as I heard the shot, did not watch the throw, He watched the last two birds and picked up the left mark when sent. He then ran a good blind.
I did my best to get him lined up for the right retired that he didn't watch. He had a good initial line but faded wide right in the second water. I tried to handle to the bird but he did not take enough cast.
He got the bird with gunner help.

One of the judges told me he watched Jake swing off the gun watching a swallow fly by right after the shot.
I have seen that in training a few times. I am sure Jake realized his error but not seeing the right bird fall made it all but impossible to get. It was hard enough for the dogs that watched it.

Attachments

101 - 112 of 112 Posts