Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when you come home from work or just having been away from your Golden for a period of time.

Are they at the front door waiting, the front gate, the back or side garage door?

Do they have a toy in their mouth or maybe a leash?

Do they bark the minute they hear your car?

Do you get the big tail wag and arrrrrrough?

Do they spin in circles and jump up on you?

Is one more happy to see you than the other?

I'm retired so Woody and I aren't apart very often but when he is left by himself for an hour or two I'm always greeted with the tail wag, zoomies and an several extended arrrrrrrrough's. :)

Pete

·
Kate
21,663 Posts
Every day when I come home from work... when I open the door the first thing I see is him jumping up for a hug. He puts his paws on my shoulders and shoves his snotty little face into mine for me to kiss him. It's the sweetest thing. :)

And then he runs off to his toy box to grab a toy and dance around with it until I switch shoes, grab a hat, and take him back outside. :D

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Sometimes they (or one) is in the window sleeping (I mean waiting :)) Usually it's Kirby as Darby naps in the basement (who knows why).

Kirby greets me at the door with a hello, spins around and grabs a towel off the shelf and paces. Darby will slowly lumber up the stairs and over to me, give me that big ole Golden grin and then just lean into me "Mom's home". Kirby stop by for a pet in between and after about the 5th circuit she comes in for her hug.

I purposely trained them not to go crazy when we came home, so we have happy tail wagging but calm greetings... it's heart warming.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,068 Posts
My guys are pretty calm when I get home. Lincoln always greets me with his wagging tail and his fleece rope in his mouth. If he can't find his rope, it's a towel. It's always something.

Reno and Austin greet me with wagging tails. Austin might do a little jig but for the most part he is pretty calm.

Like MuddyPaws above, we've taught them to greet us but do it politely!!!

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Mine are still crazy puppies, so we have gated off the den (where they are). When we get inside the door, in the livingroom, you have a moment to remove coats, put purse down, then to the gate where two precious golden kids are standing with paws on gate butts just a wiggling. The trick is to get them to sit then open gate and to the backyard for play. Our girl always has something in her mouth, be it a toy or anything she can find to greet you with.

Always makes my day bright to see how much we were missed and can't wait to spend the rest of the afternoon with them playing.

·
Kate
21,663 Posts
Heheh... just to add to this...

When I come home from work every day, he's usually RIGHT THERE at the door waiting for me. My mom tells me that about a half hour to forty minutes before I come home he "leaves" everyone to go downstairs and lay down on the floor a few feet away from the door, to wait for me. And he's been doing this since he was a puppy. She's called him upstairs or encouraged him to rejoin the family and his collie-bro, and he's obedient enough to go up when she tells him to. But the first chance he gets he goes right back down to his station at the door.

I'm not sure if he does the same thing on Sundays when I come home from church, but we have a kinda fun routine that we've been doing since he was a puppy. I drive with my sister most Sundays. She will go in to unlock the door and let Jacks outside. In the meantime, I scamper off to find a hiding spot somewhere on the property for him to track me down and find me.

9 times out of 10 he immediately finds me. Last Sunday I crawled into some bushes where I've never hidden before and squished down and "around the corner" so I could see him and not be seen. It was rather scary seeing him burst down the driveway, slam to a stop halfway down, airsniff, and do an arc back up to the exact place where I was - running full steam. :)

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
I get the big tail wag and arrrrrrough. Then, Lacey runs off to find her woobie (a stuffed dog) and while I'm waiting at the back door to let her out, she's in front of me with her woobie. She'd happily go outside with it, but I've trained her to "drop it". So, she somewhat reluctantly drops it, then runs joyfully outside in the backyard. Then we go for our nice, long walk.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
I trained very low-key comings and goings, so if I haven't been gone long (like for a run, or just a short errand) she doesn't even get up off the couch or bed.

If I've been at work all day, she comes running to the door, ALWAYS with a toy, and if she forgets the toy, she will turn around to go back and get one before she can say hello. But no over-the-top greetings, which can make me insecure... until I remember that I trained it into her! :eek:

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
My sister, son and myslef all get the same welcome. Jige is at the door ( if someone is home otherwise in his kennel) tail going a hundred miles an hour. He aroohs and yodels then runs for a shoe or toy or both(if he can get it in his mouth) then he prances around and acts silly. We get this kind of welcome even if I just run out to the mail box.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts