Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Did these facts make your jaw drop?

• Yes! I never knew that about Golden Retrievers!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A bit. Those were some facinating facts.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm really considering getting a Golden Retriever as a pet! What are some interesting fact(s) about 'em?

Here are some of the facts I know!
  • Golden Retrievers are the 4th smartest dog breeds(in line behind the Border Collie, Poodles, German Shepherds). They are as intelligent as a 2 to 2.5 old human toddler and are capable of learning over 165 words.
  • Golden Retrievers' fur darkens as they become older. To predict the color your Golden Retriever puppy might be, look at their ears, which are darker than their body. At two years old, their fur should be entirely set.
If you want to share more Golden Retriever facts, please write them down below.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@OscarsDad, I personally found them jaw-dropping, probably because I just started research specifically the Golden Retriever breed. Wow, I'm so surprised that this community knows so much about Golden Retriever. I will edit my thread to make it less clickbait-y(as what @K-9-Design pointed out in her reply). Thank you for your comment, and I apologize for any inconveniences.

·
Super Moderator
2,297 Posts
Hi Alexan! Glad to see you have a lot of enthusiasm. You definitely sounded a bit like a bot, but I’m glad to see your responses here.
As for my jaw dropping fact...Goldens have unlimited love to give ☺

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Tangrenine, well, got any advice not to sound like a bot?

Yeah, that's the one thing I absolutely love about Golden Retrievers. I don't have one yet, but I'm excited to get one!

Btw, who's the sweet-looking Golden in your profile pic? Is he/she yours?

·
Super Moderator
2,547 Posts
I find it really interesting that Goldens have a soft mouth, and can pick up things really gingerly, I tried the raw egg trick and they didn't damage the egg at all. Once my boy caught a young fledge and did not hurt the tiny bird at all but just held it in his mouth.

·
Premium Member
18,618 Posts
The membership on this board are people who are long time, deeply entrenched, Golden Retriever owners, enthusiasts, and experts in the breed. Anything you can find with an internet search we are all very well aware of.

Good for you for researching the breed though. Perhaps a better approach would be to ask the people here, who have owned and loved Golden Retrievers for years and years, the questions you have about the breed.

Oh, and FYI the third bullet is incorrect. Golden Retrievers are people lovers, and they don't make good guard dogs. They will kiss and hug any new person coming into their homes. That particular comment has been erroneously posted on the internet for awhile, but it's not accurate.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Oh, and FYI the third bullet is incorrect. Golden Retrievers are people lovers, and they don't make good guard dogs. They will kiss and hug any new person coming into their homes. That particular comment has been erroneously posted on the internet for awhile, but it's not accurate.

this part of "mylissik" post made me chuckle, many years ago somebody drove in to our driveway when we weren't home and by their report our then 10 year old GR wouldn't let them past first half of our long country driveway, just stood there baring her teeth...didn't have the hart to tell them she was welcoming them with a smile :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts