Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't want to hijack the other threads, but wondered in your opinions, what the best age is for an accurate hipscore?

I have been told anywhere from about 18 months, but I know a few people who have had them done younger than that.

From what I can gather our vets just heavily sedate them in order to do it, and can be up to about £300 ish (I'm in the UK).

Anyone have an opinion on an ideal age?

·
Premium Member
16,438 Posts
I know a few breeders here who do prelims super early bc showing is such a huge expense, and they want to make sure things are looking good for dogs to pass clearances. Then, they redo formal ones at 2. I am not sure if this is typical or not?

I do OFA prelims with my pet goldens at about a yearish or when they are spayed/neutered to be sure they can do things like obedience jumps/ agility safely, but then I don't repeat unless they need anethesia for another reason. For example, Finn had Elbows Normal and Hips Good at 15 months, but I only did formal OFA ones this past summer at age 7( Hips Good, Elbows Normal still) bc he needed xrays for an injury anyway.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
My Brody was from a Rescue, and I have never had any x-rays done on him. He will be 7 in February, and has never had any signs of any problems with his hips or elbows. He has been the healthiest guy! :smooch:
I had all of Lexi's certifications done at the age of 2, as I knew I would be breeding her, if all came out well.
I also will have Klondike's hips x-rayed, probably sometime after the first of the year. He turned 2 in November.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
The norm is at least 2 years. You can get preliminary x-rays at a younger age, but to get a more accurate reading you would want to wait until the dog is at least 24 months old.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
As people have said, you can get the hips evaluated and even get preliminary clearances on them, but the common practice (and recommendation from the GRCA) is to get the hips officially scored (PennHIP) or graded (OFA) after the second birthday.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts