Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
donald_archer
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Peterborough ON. We have had Marley for over 7 years and she was rescued when she was 7 months.

I am wondering what age is considered "senior" for a Golden. She is very healthy and still plays like she is still a puppy

We are looking forward to having her around for many many years yet

Thanks in advance

Don

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,950 Posts
Depends on the dog breed, but for Gol;dens it is 6-8 years based on a few factors like if they are an athlete or generally very active still. You might consider that particular dog a senior closer to 8. As far as switching foods, once you notice them starting to slow down anytime from 6 years on is when to make the change to senior food. I had one dog that was crazy active until 9 years old sop to keep the weight on they were on regular adult food until 9.

·
Registered
12,767 Posts
At my vet, they begin "senior wellness" annual blood panels at age 7, and begin examining and watching them as seniors at that age (at least for Goldens; not sure if that is the case for all dogs across the practice). But a healthy, fit Golden can continue to play ball, hunt, swim, hike, etc. up to age 12, 13.. and even beyond.

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,220 Posts
Here is some Senior Care Guidelines, I went through all the info and updated the links.

The Guidelines in Canada may be different, those above are for US. I'd ask your Vet about their Senior Wellness plan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts