Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never given my guys rawhide because years ago my vet said it is better not to. Our new puppies breeder sent home a baked pig ear with him. What do you guys think, are they safe? I will be taking him to the vet on friday I will run it by her then. I have always given my dogs Nylabones to chew on, kongs filled with stuff. Karen

·
Must be gold
128 Posts
i would agree with your vet on rawhide chews. Chances of dogs chewing off big pieces and swallowing them are high and when this happens there is a potential in blocking which will lead to more complications. I've read that pig ears are high in fat and could pose similar potential problems.

I would say, stick to your good old nylabones or give them raw bones to chew on. Nothing is better than a real good bone!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I'm confused about this "raw bone" stuff. Do you go to the butcher and ask for a bag of raw bones? Don't you boil them first? Couldn't they get splinters from a raw bone? I'm obviously a "paranoid mum" as my vet calls me but I've never given my guys raw anything.

·
Must be gold
128 Posts
The most common bone given is either the knuckle bone or marrow bone. I have read in another forum that some buy them in boxes, while some get them one at a time. Dogs love them and it is great for cleaning their teeth. I used to have the same inhibitions as you, Mojosmum, about giving my boy raw bones. But I have been adviced and personally researched, that boiling/cooking the bones causes it to splinter easily and thus posing a potential hazard. So many people I've talked to swear by it. I've tried it myself and its great!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Thanks Molmotta. I'll have to do some more research, I guess but it sounds interesting. Do you have multiple dogs and if you do, do they fight over the bones?

·
Must be gold
128 Posts
I have two dogs and I give them their bones in separate areas. Davidson is too playful and will take everything away from my maltese. So for the poor little guy's peace, they are separated when they are chewing their bones.

·
Registered
414 Posts
As molmotta said, I never give cooked bones, they will splinter. And only marrow bones, Clancy has managed to break apart raw Knuckle Bones. We've been giving him bones since he came home.

A word of warning to anyone giving bones for the first time, especially to younger dogs.

Be prepared for agressive behaviour!!!! I can't stress this enough. Clancy, who went through obedience and was socialized a lot and went to Daycare once a week and was a well behaved, good mannered dog, growled and snapped and my wife and myself when he had a raw bone. He quickly learned that that sort of behaviour was not a good idea, but my wife was actually afraid to take the bone from him.

You should be able to reach your hand in and take the bone without hackles rising, teeth being shown and growls coming. If you have kids, keep them away from a dog with a bone. Even other dogs around can trigger agressive behaviour. Something about raw bones makes them go crazy.

Oh ya, I never give pig ears, cow hooves, or any of those treats. Just bones from the butcher and now Peanut Butter Cookies from the recipe section of this forum. He loves those.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Thanks Timberwolfe for the info. It's basically what I thought. I can see my guys getting real aggressive with those bones as my past dogs did.
I didn't realize that pig ears were so fatty and oily. I've only just started giving them that so I'll now end it. Say bye-bye to the piggy ears Mojo and Zoe :wave: .
I also gave them (at one time) a bone from the pet store that was hollow inside. I boiled the bones in beef stock and cooled them down to give to my guys. Well, from gnawing on that bone he managed to break the tips on all 4 canines. The vet wasn't concerned. He said a lot of dogs will even wear their teeth down by chewing on rocks. I was concerned that he wasn't getting the vitamin C he needs. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Actually I have heard that cooked/boiled bones are harder than uncooked. They become harder and can shatter or break.

Why are you concerned about Vitamin C?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Besides the issue of pieces of rawhide breaking off and choking the dog, you NEED TO READ THE LABEL to make sure that they were made in the USA. Rawhide is controlled by the FDA in this country, so the rawhides are quality controlled. Other countries don't have these strict guidelines, so many dogs will get sick and have runny poo if fed foreign made rawhides.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I guess I should have said calcium instead of vitamin C.

·
<---Bring on the grub!!!!
3,737 Posts
I have been giving my golden and my chocolate lab marrow bones for years. I buy them at the grocery store in the meat section. I keep them in the freezer and take them out when I want them. Sometimes I give them while they are still frozen because it takes them longer to chew them. Lately my lab won't eat them frozen because I think her teeth are getting sensitive but my golden,Sasha, would eat them no matter how I serve them. There is one thing that you should be careful about and that is the size of the hole in the bone. Make sure that there is no possible way for your dog's jaw to fit through the hole and come out the other side ( for instance if the bone is very short and your dog's jaw is narrow ) as this happened to my dog and by the time I noticed ,her lips were swelling and we had to make a trip to the animal hospital. They needed to sedate her so they could cut it off by sawing it with a wire.:( So now I am very careful when picking out the ones I will buy. Rawhide chews and cow hooves make my dogs vomit even though they love them.

·
Mom to Holly and Rosie
3,174 Posts
wow.......what a coincidence. My older golden "Jenny" got a bone stuck in her jaw a couple of months ago. At first, I thought she was keeping it from the younger dog. I kept making little comments to her like " you really like that bone today"....it was a couple of hours before I realized it was stuck! My husband got some wire cutters and cut it off:) Poor girl....I wish I had figured it out sooner.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I also know someone whose Golden did the same thing. I think they were eventually able to slide it off, but they caught it right away.

So a wise precaution.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts