Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO I got a 10 month old Neutered Golden from the Human Society.(HS report says previous owners donated him because of a new baby and he was mouthy). I also have a 10 month of Neutered Beagle/shitzu mix. For the most part the golden is pretty well behaved. I did notice that sometimes he growls and snaps at my other dog when he tries to take his bone or toy out of his mouth. Only once has he shown any aggression towards me when I tried to take something out of his mouth. He was laying down and I reached to take the bone away and my other dog entered the area. He growled at me. I corrected it immediatly. Since then, I try to avoid taking things away from him if the other dog is near his mouth. He has not shown any other aggression to me and only mild aggression to my other dog. For the most part the, the two dogs play around with each other just fine.

I got this dog while my wife and three year old were out of town and they come back in a few days. What worries my is if he is going to show any aggression to my 3 year old, or if it is limited to just other animals. She knows, as well as a three old can, how to behave around dogs and would never be left playing with him unsupervised. However, it still worries me that he will scare her. Did we get him too late? Will he accept my three year old and never ever make her afraid? Will my wife kill me for getting a 80 pound dog when she left for a week? Any words of wisdom will be of great help...

·
Premium Member
18,595 Posts
I'm sure you know best how your wife will react. You are correct that your child must never left alone with the dog and be supervised closely with both of your dogs. Goldens are usually wonderful with children, but any dog needs to be taught how to behave around children.

Good luck. If you run into specific problems there is a wealth of information here that will help.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Did you discuss this decision with your wife? I don't think it would be wise to surprise her with a 10 month old puppy. If this happened to me, I'd let the dog sleep in my bed, but hubby would be in the dog house. If you haven't told her yet, you should asap.

As for the dog and your little one, I don't really have any advice there. I would probably be concerned since the previous owners got rid of him because they didn't trust him with their baby. And the fact that he has shown possessiveness also concerns me. Dogs don't see kids as being the same as adult humans, so even though he respects and listens to you there is no guarantee that he'll be good with your daughter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, trying to be funny. My wife knows we got the dog. She's cool with the idea. Just worried, about how he will behave around my kid, since him isn't a little puppy anymore. Right now he is laying down on the floor eating his bone. If I put my hand near his bone he will growl, not good.......

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Sorry, trying to be funny. My wife knows we got the dog. She's cool with the idea.
Sorry I missed that. :eek: Sometimes it's hard to pick up on humor over the internet.

Just worried, about how he will behave around my kid, since him isn't a little puppy anymore. Right now he is laying down on the floor eating his bone. If I put my hand near his bone he will growl, not good.......
Yeah, that doesn't sound good. There are people here with much more experience than me, so hopefully one of them can chime in with better advice. But for now, I think the standard advice here is to take him to the vet to make sure he doesn't have any medical problems and then consult a behaviorist.

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
Until you know how to handle the food guarding behavior effectively (consult a professional), you must not _ever_ let your child near your dog while he is eating or chewing, or even playing with a favorite toy.

You need to consult a professional now. This is totally manageable behavior (food or resource guarding), you just need to know how to handle it so that what you're doing actually works. This is not something to screw around with when you have a small child.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I would pick up the bone and not let him have another one until you are positive that he is not going to bite someone over it. I always pick up the high value toys/bones around here when a foster comes in until I know how they are going to react to it. He won't miss it, and until he is reliable about not growling, he does not need it.

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
I wouldn't give him any bones for a while. I'd give handfeeding him a try. Once he sees that the hand feeding him means good things, I'd give a bone a try. I would have something he loves ready to replace it with. Maybe even another bone.

I don't know if you have training facilities nearby, but they offer some great classes for families with dogs and children. Until you have the bone situation under control, I'd be careful with bones or toys, and your child being near.

It's important to teach children (having a dog already, your little one probably already knows this) how to respect a dog and it's space.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know if you have training facilities nearby, but they offer some great classes for families with dogs and children. Until you have the bone situation under control, I'd be careful with bones or toys, and your child being near.
Is PETSmarts Training any good, we live in St. Peters MO, and I have heard they offer classes.

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
Is PETSmarts Training any good, we live in St. Peters MO, and I have heard they offer classes.
I've heard mixed reviews regarding Petsmart Training, but I really have no experience with them. We have a wonderful training facility near us and they offer classes specifically for families with children. They even offer a class for expectant parents who already have dogs.

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
I just sent you a pm.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Will he accept my three year old and never ever make her afraid?

Honestly, that's an unrealistic expectation for *any* dog.

Sounds like he has a resource guarding issue - at least with bones. As suggested, I'd find a trainer to help you. Use somebody who will work with positive training methods rather than choke and jerk training. I've seen choke and jerk backfire horribly with guarding cases.

Also, it goes w/o saying, but I'll say it anyway --- zero unsupervised time between toddler and dog... period. There needs to be an adult on hand at all times to make sure they are both interacting appropriately with each other.

Congrats on the new addition. Sounds workable... it's just gonna take some work!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts