Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a wall next to the house that is close to 8ft tall. It wraps around the driveway and gets smaller on the other side as it follows the driveway. Trooper will come to edge and look over all the time. And i always run to the other side where it is low and ends to get him to run down the sidewalk to get to the garage doors so he will not fall off.
Well today my wife tells me she had returned home and Trooper was at the tallest peak of the wall and seamed so hyper (which is normal) and happy to see her. Well he was looking down on her as she was backing the car in the garage. She seen him jump off the wall and land on the concrete driveway! She thought he committed suicide. She jumped out of the car to check on him and he was under her car. She got him out and said he looked scared to death! He is not even 3 months old yet. She checked on him everywhere and he seems fine. But ran in the garage and went straight to his cage we keep him in at night.
We have almost 2 acres of land and i just put in the underground fence yesterday. So he got to feel that. I just thought he might be thinking that he is not going to put up with that mess!!
I just thought it was a funny story to tell about him since he is fine. But he has so many things that make us laugh is hard to tell them all. Like he eats everything. I mean he eats leaves, tree bark, BUGS, dirt, grass just to name a few!

·
Premium Member
18,410 Posts
He jumped 8 feet onto concrete? I would have had him at the emergency vet for xrays. I hope he really is ok, please be sure to watch him in the next few days for any signs of pain.

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
its sure is a funny/scary story. if it was me who saw this, i would have been screaming/crying and running to the vet immediately.

he is too young to be jumping from such heights. i hope he doesnt do it again.

my Yuki is 4 months old and like you said Yuki also eats almost anything....he caught a grasshopper today and brought it over to me. yikes. i really cant handle bugs lol. there are so many funny moments too. :D thats the best part of having a pup around. makes everyday a blast filled with laughter and fun.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Wow - that was a "leap of faith" - I don't think that is funny at all and I hope he isn't hurt. It just goes to show how little judgement they have and how much they have to learn. Young creatures are so vulnerable when they start to get out and about a bit.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
We have a wall next to the house that is close to 8ft tall. It wraps around the driveway and gets smaller on the other side as it follows the driveway. Trooper will come to edge and look over all the time. And i always run to the other side where it is low and ends to get him to run down the sidewalk to get to the garage doors so he will not fall off.
Well today my wife tells me she had returned home and Trooper was at the tallest peak of the wall and seamed so hyper (which is normal) and happy to see her. Well he was looking down on her as she was backing the car in the garage. She seen him jump off the wall and land on the concrete driveway! She thought he committed suicide. She jumped out of the car to check on him and he was under her car. She got him out and said he looked scared to death! He is not even 3 months old yet. She checked on him everywhere and he seems fine. But ran in the garage and went straight to his cage we keep him in at night.
We have almost 2 acres of land and i just put in the underground fence yesterday. So he got to feel that. I just thought he might be thinking that he is not going to put up with that mess!!
I just thought it was a funny story to tell about him since he is fine. But he has so many things that make us laugh is hard to tell them all. Like he eats everything. I mean he eats leaves, tree bark, BUGS, dirt, grass just to name a few!
Other than not seeing the humor of a puppy jumping off the 8' wall onto a concrete driveway, am I to understand you have a e-collar on your not-yet-3 month old puppy for an underground fence you installed yesterday? Obviously he hasn't yet been trained on it and you have the static correction on?

I'm not opposed to underground fences, we have one. The training phase should take at least 2 weeks.

·
gone
1,443 Posts
I'm with the others who fail to find the humor in the fact that he jumped off a 8 ft wall especially since the potential of him doing that was obvious. 3 months old and shocking him already with the e collar? Poor poor puppy......

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah poor poor puppy. Yes he did get the feel of the static correction. I have been taking him to the edge and letting him hear the beeps and im backing him away. I have been doing this all around the perimiter. He just happened to jump a little too fast for me to pull him back in time which is how he has felt it.
He normally stays on the back porch or in the garage when we cannot watch him and until he gets use to the fence and understands to back away when he hears the beep.
Our son was outside with him when my wife came home. I am not a dog trainer. I grew up with farm animals and dogs did not have to have fences and there was not any leash laws.
I work as a Lineman for the power comapny so i have to work alot of hours because for some reason everyone wants electricity in there house. Plus i am in the Army National Guard who has been deployed 3 times so i do not have the luxery of getting to spend many hours training a dog as some lucky people do. My wife also has little time time since she is trying to be a Nurse and has school and clinicals.
So i would be more then happy to let anyone come over and help us train our puppy "better" then what we are trying to do.So that way we will not have a "POOR POOR PUPPY".
But as a update we have him sitting, shaking, going to cage when told, going outside when told, and after working 26 hours i came home and let him outside and watched him walk over to the perimeter and stop and then run down the edge of it and run back. Then i walked over to the other side of the property and he walked to the edge and stopped. The collar is on him but the battery is not in.
I am not a "expert" but i would say that is pretty good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts