Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, What do you all think about this place and there three pairings?

Sire: Rumor
Dam: Secret Song, Kiss and Tell, Hidden Song

Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
2,205 Posts
I did a search for the name and it was a kennel with oh by the way we sell and breed Goldens. No link to any dog, names or OFA/K9Data. I must of gotten a different site then.

Edit, I followed your link and on teh K(data page I got a TOTALLY different site. The one I found was black with gold text

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did a search for the name and it was a kennel with oh by the way we sell and breed Goldens. No link to any dog, names or OFA/K9Data. I must of gotten a different site then.

Edit, I followed your link and on teh K(data page I got a TOTALLY different site. The one I found was black with gold text
Their site is well built. These are current Goldens ( except Secret Song is missing, but I have k9data link above):

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
2,205 Posts
I can only get that site on my phone... If I put in the site on my PC it comes up with the page you linked... Very very odd. I will try and post the screen shot. The URL shows westbengoldend but on the sure shows westergaard... Very strange... But the actual sure looks very good

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Their site is well built. These are current Goldens ( except Secret Song is missing, but I have k9data link above):
They are breeders and boarders. The website is "westbendgoldens.com". The company name on the site is Westergaard Kennels...I am taking a wild guess that that's how their boarding business is registered. The screenshot you sent is of their web site. On my PC I see the same page, just not as tall, understandably.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is this contract reasonable? For a near $3k purchase?

We carefully breed our dogs to meet the standard set forth for Goldens.__
Good health, sweet willing temperaments and soundness are very important
to us here.___
ALL puppies and dogs are sold with a LIMITED AKC REGISTRATION.____
We guarantee your puppy to be in good health - free from congenital defects
for ONE YEAR from date of birth._
THE DEVELOPMENT OF CANINE HIP DYSPLASIA IS NOT DEPENDENT ON
GENETICS ALONE, BUT ENVIRONMENTAL AND DEVELOPMENTAL, as well.
Your puppy may face possible risk factors that will be beyond our control,
therefore, WE DO NOT REFUND OR GUARANTEE AGAINST HIP, ELBOW or
SHOULDER DYSPLASIA.____
NO GUARANTEES OR REFUNDS if one or both testicles fail to descend________
Your puppy has been examined by a qualified veterinarian and determined
healthy. The breeder is not responsible for tests, surgery, etc. the buyer
elects on the above mentioned puppy or dog. There ARE unforeseen
situations that affect all living things.__
Your Puppy is eating - “PURINA PRO PLAN SPORT - ALL LIFE STAGES -
PERFORMANCE - 30/20 FORMULA”___
A plastic kennel/carrier is the most important purchase you can make. It is a
must for housebreaking and training your puppy/dog. Size 400(large)._
Please purchase the “Golden Retriever Handbook” by Ann Johnson.___
I HAVE READ, UNDERSTAND and AGREE to the above agreement._

·
Puddles
4,020 Posts
Typical contract.. for any contract you will be required to return or replace the puppy. Who does this!? Your pup will have been checked by a vet before it goes home. The breeder will also ask you to have the pup checked within 72 hrs (I made this appointment before picking up my pup) This way your own vet is confirming what they already know. Basically this contract protects the breeder. This is a good breeder and they have done everything they can to insure you get a healthy puppy... but do not want to be responsible for injuries or conditions that may cause injuries. If you are a responsible owner with some common sense on taking care of your baby, all will be fine.
Please remember this is a living creature not an appliance built on an assembly line. They have done all they can do to give you a healthy, well bred puppy. They will provide you with advice and concern for the life of the puppy... their top concern is the happiness and well being of the puppy. Enjoy your new baby, you did a really great job picking this breeder.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
2,205 Posts
Typical contact but feeding an 8week old puppy pro plan sport 30/20 all life stage shows the lack of education on dog nutrition and that food could very well lead to joint issues like pano and dysplasia. This may be why they don't guarantee hips and elbows.

That food is 100% the total opposite of what should be fed. If you go with this breeder and get a puppy, I would certainly after 2 weeks start transitioning to the pro plans larger breed puppy food. Don't wait as they grow the faster the younger they are to that controlled grow is most important from 8 weeks too about 7-9 months. 30/20 is way too much for a puppy at 8 weeks and all life stages means it's set up for small breed puppies. This usually means around a 2:1 calcium to phosphorus ratio. For controlled growth you need to be at 1.1 - 1.4 to 1 calcium to phosphorus. Honestly, they are being lazy and don't want to feed the puppy a different food than the adult dogs or they just don't know any better.

·
Super Moderator
3,614 Posts
Eric - pro plan sport 30/20 is AAFCO approved for the growth of large breed puppies (70 pounds or more as an adult) per the Purina website. The Calcium content is 1.0% and the Phosphorus is 0.9%, making that a 1:1 Ca : P ratio. What's wrong with that?

I can't speak to the 30/20 protein/fat content, but I know I fed Kaizer a 26/16 all life stages food and he does not have joint issues.

Reactions: tikiandme

·
Puddles
4,020 Posts
Thanks for taking the time. Did you have a chance to look past the sire and the dam?
I looked back on all of their dogs... siblings, half siblings and grandparents. They have a very good breeding program. They are also very active with their dogs and a true preservation breeder that wants to maintain and improve goldens with their breeding decisions. I would be thrilled to get a pup from this place and I can be quite picky!

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
2,205 Posts
Eric - pro plan sport 30/20 is AAFCO approved for the growth of large breed puppies (70 pounds or more as an adult) per the Purina website. The Calcium content is 1.0% and the Phosphorus is 0.9%, making that a 1:1 Ca : P ratio. What's wrong with that?

I can't speak to the 30/20 protein/fat content, but I know I fed Kaizer a 26/16 all life stages food and he does not have joint issues.
The calcium and phos may be ok but there is no way a 30/20 is ideal or generally safe for a large breed puppy. Plus the vitamin and mineral balance are for an adult dog, not a puppy. You only feed more or less of the salsa ratios. Also, it is an all life stage food with means be definition, it has to meat the requirements for the small breed puppy with us significant more then the large breed puppy.

Plus that food is for a working dog that is in the field for 4-6 hours. There is no way a puppy 8, 10, 16 weeks of age will ever need that much extra.

Also the definition of large breed puppy is 50lbs and above, giant breed is 100lbs and above.

You were feeding a food that was at the to end of protein and fat for a large breed puppy. 30/20 is on the extreme. Plus it's not 100% you will get joint issues but certainly you increase the chance a good bit. It would be better to feed an adult food than an all life stage food.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Typical contact but feeding an 8week old puppy pro plan sport 30/20 all life stage shows the lack of education on dog nutrition and that food could very well lead to joint issues like pano and dysplasia. This may be why they don't guarantee hips and elbows.

That food is 100% the total opposite of what should be fed. If you go with this breeder and get a puppy, I would certainly after 2 weeks start transitioning to the pro plans larger breed puppy food. Don't wait as they grow the faster the younger they are to that controlled grow is most important from 8 weeks too about 7-9 months. 30/20 is way too much for a puppy at 8 weeks and all life stages means it's set up for small breed puppies. This usually means around a 2:1 calcium to phosphorus ratio. For controlled growth you need to be at 1.1 - 1.4 to 1 calcium to phosphorus. Honestly, they are being lazy and don't want to feed the puppy a different food than the adult dogs or they just don't know any better.
Actually, there a large number of golden breeders, both performance and conformation, that feed 30/20 to their puppies and they do perfectly fine. I have gone both ways, both PP Large Breed Puppy and 30/20 and haven't noticed any differences, or have switched them to 30/20 at 8 months. That's why it's labeled "all life stages."

·
Puddles
4,020 Posts
I tend to keep puppies on whatever the breeder weaned them on until about 5 months. Even then it's only to put them on adult food. Unless of course they are on something like Ole Roy! And no reputable breeder would ever feed this. There are so many people that post about their puppies having tummy problems, loose pooh and this is usually because they changed the food, started adding stuff to the food or gave snacks and/or people food. Don't fix what isn't broke.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts