Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
and now Chance too!
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

We live in Cambria CA, it's a small town on the central coast. Someone we know put us in touch with a family that is having to give up their 5 yo golden named Chance. They've had him since he was 9 weeks old and the woman is absolutely heartbroken. They're losing their home and having to move north and the only place they can find has a size limit which Chance exceeds.

There is a pretty good chance that we are going to end up taking him in and keeping him BUT in the event that something prevents that (i.e. he and Angie don't get along or our Landlords won't let us have another dog) I want to get the wheels rolling on lining up other potential adopters.

Super sweet disposition, loves other dogs and thinks cats are the coolest thing on earth according to the owner.

He's in good health but has had his eyelids operated on for some evidently common problem with goldens and his front elbows bend "funny". According to the Vet there's nothing "wrong" with them it's just a odd little characteristic. I'll know more after I see him in person (or would that be in "dog").

We're going to go meet him in a couple of hours and see what happens. They have until the middle of December to find him a new home and if need be we'll figure out a way to get him fostered until a forever home can be found.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Please reply or PM me if you need anything further.

Attachments

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
If you PM Claire's Friend, she should be able to help in the event that you don't keep this guy. She's a one woman central coast rescue.

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
He looks like such a sweet boy....I hope he gets along with your Angie and you can keep him. You are a great person for helping that family. Good luck.

·
and now Chance too!
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, he's here now and they seem to be getting along well. He is incredibly sweet and very well behaved. He's also a little freaked out understandably.

We'll have to see what our landlords say. He needs to drop a few pounds but that'll happen once we get him on Angie's exercise schedule (She goes to either the dog park or the beach every day for a couple of hours).

Biggest issue is going to be feeding. Suprisingly they are on the exact same food but Angie free feeds and he's a gulper who gets fed on a schedule.

I'll check with Claires Friend and see what she says.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and help.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
How sad for the family that they had to give Chance up.

He is very handsome and looks like a sweetheart. He probably had entropic(sp?) eyelids where the eyelashes turn inwards and rub the eye. Varies from mild to severe, but should not be a problem since he has had his fixed.

I hope he gets to stay with you or finds a new home or even (might as well wish and pray big) his family finds a place that will let them have him back.

·
and now Chance too!
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it turns out we're gonna keep him. The reason they couldn't find another place is that they are having to leave their home and move into an apartment as the apartment manager for the complex. So it wasn't just a case of finding another place but rather give Chance up or possibly not find a place to live.

I've got a post on the general discussion forum about him now.

http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/showthread.php?t=67878

It is all good. He is settling in wonderfully and he and Angie are becoming fast friends.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts