Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a 26 year old, full time pre-vet student here in Washington state (while working 35 hours a week) and realized that by the time I complete vet school, Killian will be around 8-ish years old. And it struck me, he is going to be spending nearly his whole life waiting for me to finish school. That stops now! It has been decided that I cannot wait for a break in my swamped schedule to do what I have been wanting to do since I got Killian, travel and adventure. On that list was the idea of going to his homeland, Scotland.

I am taking next summer off from school and we are going to travel. I have discovered how stupid easy it is to travel to Scotland with a dog. Websites, blogs and Facebook pages have lists upon lists of actives, lodging and places to eat that are dog friendly.

I have concerns about traveling internationally with Killian, especially with all the new stories of animal misconduct and deaths on flights, specifically United Airlines.

How many of you fine Golden folks have traveled abroad with your Golden? How did it go, what supplies did you take and is there anything you wish you had known before you traveled?

If there is anyone who resides in Scotland, are there any tips or tricks I should know or research before hand?

Absolutely any suggestions or information would be super appreciated!

I am super excited and also scared out of my mind. Goldens are life and Killian is my life.

Attachments

·
goldenfan
684 Posts
I would look at the regulations about bringing a dog into the UK. At present nearly all dogs have to come in the UK through Heathrow. The rules are very strict so I would start looking now at what is required. Dogs are usually not welcome in restaurants, although some may be allowed in pubs. Accommodation needs to be booked in advance especially during the summer. When you are in Scotland make plans to go to Tomich where there is a statue of a golden celebrating the birth place of the breed. The ruins of Guisachan house where they were originally bred can also be seen. Scotland is beautiful and I am sure you will have a wonderful time. Please remember to bring midge spray otherwise you will be bitten alive! If you will be over in July look at the GRC of Scotland site as there is going to be a golden retriever gathering to celebrate 150 years of the breed Annef

·
Registered
213 Posts
This is incredible. Unfortunately I don’t have a lot to add, the farthest we have gotten is Michigan but it’s in my plans to do more. Your boy is beautiful and I look forward to seeing more on this post. For what it’s worth, both my girls have Irish names ( Bridget & Maura) so I would love to hop over the pond and see it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts