Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

We have a 10 week old GR...Got him at 7 weeks.
We started out using ProPlan puppy(what the breeder used).
I been lurking on the forum for a few weeks now and I really appreciate all the info. I've learned here!

Last week I decided to switch to Wellness puppy. I've been transferring him to it this last week.

Anyway, I'm starting to second guess myself. Is Wellness that much better, or what? Is it worth an extra $10/30#s?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
When I first got Rocket, I had it in my head that I was going to feed him a really good, premium food. I wanted to use Fromm's.

But then, when I picked him up, the breeder had him on ProPlan. Her dogs all looked healthy and in great condition. Rocket was doing well on it. So I figured, why mess with a good thing? And the Fromm's was significantly more $$ and only available at one local high-end pet shop. So I left him on PP Puppy, and then transitioned to PP All Life Stages. He's never had a tummy issue.

I can't speak on the question of whether or not Wellness is a better food.

Good luck whatever you decide!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
We fed ProPlan for 15 years.

We believe that they changed the recipe about five years ago.

As a result, we switched. My wife feeds a mixture of Fromm and Acana. Maybe it's our imagination, but the dogs coats seem so more radiant now than before.

Examine the manufacturer's recommended feeding instructions. Dogs need more Purina than Fromm. My wife demonstrated how the "Cost Per Feeding" was the same for Purina and Fromm because when you use Fromm, you don't have to feed as much per the manufacturer's own feeding instructions.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I prefer Wellness over ProPlan in general. I feed the grain free formulas to my grown-up girls. I avoid foods that have glutens in them and like to have several named animals protein sources including one in "meal" form in the top 5 ingredients.

If it were my puppy and he was doing well on the Wellness puppy food (good poops, energy, no itchies or gunky ears), I would leave him on that rather than going back to ProPlan. My personal preference would go to this Wellness formula for a Golden puppy (Wellness® Complete Health® Super5Mix® Large Breed - Puppy Health ).

However, another way of looking at it is to consider that your breeder has extensive experience feeding Proplan to her own dogs and is happy with it which also counts for something.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Hello all,

We have a 10 week old GR...Got him at 7 weeks.
We started out using ProPlan puppy(what the breeder used).
I been lurking on the forum for a few weeks now and I really appreciate all the info. I've learned here!

Last week I decided to switch to Wellness puppy. I've been transferring him to it this last week.

Anyway, I'm starting to second guess myself. Is Wellness that much better, or what? Is it worth an extra $10/30#s?

Thanks for the help.
Yes, absolutely, Wellness is worth an extra $10 (as long as your dog does well on it.)

Wellness does not rely on plant protein boosters like corn gluten; but uses specific meat meals like "chicken meal". Anytime you see corn gluten or something like pea protein listed before the first fat ingredient, you can bet that a significant portion of the protein is not coming from meat. And of course, dogs are primarily meat-eaters.

Also, Pro Plan uses unnamed "animal digest" and "animal fat". I prefer to feed foods that are willing to name their ingredients.

There are also other brands less expensive than Wellness that are meat-based and don't rely on corn gluten or pea protein as a primary ingredient.

Good luck with your puppy.

·
<><><><><>
2,639 Posts

As a result, we switched. My wife feeds a mixture of Fromm and Acana. Maybe it's our imagination, but the dogs coats seem so more radiant now than before.

Examine the manufacturer's recommended feeding instructions. Dogs need more Purina than Fromm. My wife demonstrated how the "Cost Per Feeding" was the same for Purina and Fromm because when you use Fromm, you don't have to feed as much per the manufacturer's own feeding instructions.
Really? I will confess I don't know how much Fromm is fed per meal, but is it less than 3/4 cup? Because that's how much I feed Bella twice per day. She also gets one hot dog and a few miscellaneous treats for training on most days.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,542 Posts

I experienced the same thing -- Molly's coat got a lot nicer after we switched from ProPlan to Acana.

As for feeding amount, Molly eats the same amount as she always had -- 2 cups a day.

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
I have fed Acana for about 3 years. Due to the increase in costs ($10 per bag from our distributor) and difficultly in availability for the formula we feed, we are looking into feeding something else. By informally surveying my golden friends I found that a good majority of them feed Pro Plan, specifically PP Performance 30/20 mixed with the PP Sensititve Skin (salmon) formula. These are people with dogs related to mine and people whose dogs have thrived on the food with beautiful coats, minimal skin issues, etc. We've decided to give it a try, I will let you know how it goes after we make the transition.

·
<><><><><>
2,639 Posts
I have fed Acana for about 3 years. Due to the increase in costs ($10 per bag from our distributor) and difficultly in availability for the formula we feed, we are looking into feeding something else. By informally surveying my golden friends I found that a good majority of them feed Pro Plan, specifically PP Performance 30/20 mixed with the PP Sensititve Skin (salmon) formula. These are people with dogs related to mine and people whose dogs have thrived on the food with beautiful coats, minimal skin issues, etc. We've decided to give it a try, I will let you know how it goes after we make the transition.
Is it a 50/50 mix?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I personally feed Acana (whoever said the price has gone up is right!), but since OP asked about Wellness or PP here's my 2 cents for what it's worth. Based on the ingredients, I'd choose Wellness any day.

Here are the ingredients of ProPlan Performance:

INGREDIENTS:
Chicken, corn gluten meal, brewers rice, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), poultry by-product meal (natural source of glucosamine), whole grain corn, corn bran, fish meal (natural source of glucosamine), animal digest, fish oil, dried egg product, potassium chloride, salt, calcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, Vitamin E supplement, choline chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.

Here are the ingredients of Wellness Super5 Mix:

Ingredients:
Deboned Chicken, Deboned Whitefish, Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Ground Peas, Ground Barley, Ground Brown Rice, Salmon Meal (a natural source of DHA-Docosahexaenoic Acid), Tomato Pomace, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a natural source of Vitamin E), Tomatoes, Natural Chicken Flavor, Ground Flaxseed, Salmon Oil (a natural source of DHA - Docosahexaenoic Acid), Carrots, Spinach, Sweet Potatoes, Apples, Blueberries, Salt, Minerals [Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite], Vitamins [Beta-Carotene, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement], Choline Chloride, Taurine, Chicory Root Extract, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Mixed Tocopherols (a natural preservative), Dried Lactobacillus plantarum, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation products.

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
I personally feed Acana (whoever said the price has gone up is right!), .
Get ready, my distributor said it is about to jump another $10 per bag....unbelievable! Plus it's impossible to get in our area right now. We are down to one bag and were in a bit of a panic about it until we decided to switch foods today.

I won't get into the ingredient debate, since I know the ingredients in Wellness will sound better. I just know for many golden people the proof is in the results, and from my informal survey, they see wonderful results with PP Performance mixed with PP Sensitive SS.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have fed Acana for about 3 years. Due to the increase in costs ($10 per bag from our distributor) and difficultly in availability for the formula we feed, we are looking into feeding something else.
With online retailers like Chewy's and Petfood Direct, you can broaden your food choices and get the food with at least a 15% discount plus free freight if you use their coupons and auto-ship.........in this day and age I would never be limited to the big mass brands with the convience of theses companies.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
My bridge boy was on Wellness Core because of grain allergies. He loved it and did well on it.
My new puppy is on PP Sensitive Skin and Stomach. It's what the breeder has all her dogs on and they look great. He loves it and his stools are near perfect. No particular reason for the sensitive skin and stomach other then it works well.

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
With online retailers like Chewy's and Petfood Direct, you can broaden your food choices and get the food with at least a 15% discount plus free freight if you use their coupons and auto-ship.........in this day and age I would never be limited to the big mass brands with the convience of theses companies.
Thanks for the opinion, but we were already getting a significant discount from a distributor. It was much cheaper than any online retailer. But due to multiple availability issues with the food, plus the increase in price we are switching. There is no right food for everyone and every food has pros and cons.

·
Professional Member
1,548 Posts
Definitely would choose wellness. Not only based on ingredients but from what I've heard about some on wellness, ingredient wise pro plan relies heavily on corn as a protein booster, and even the grain free formulas are not great, I also don't like them after the 2007 recall, outsourcing to china isn't something I want out of my food. That being said, if you have a higher budget, you may want to consider evo, back 2 basics, acana, Fromm, Orijen, or dr tims. Also you may want to consider feeding raw, you will end up paying about as much as pro plan but with the known advantages of an unprocessed diet along with the freshness and known sourcing of the meats.

Reactions: goldenmomx2
1 - 20 of 111 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.