Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Retired bum..........
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my girl passed a couple of weeks ago, I thought I might wait a few weeks but just not the same around here without a furry friend. I applied for a yellow lab at an animal rescue organization in a near by town. It was a very pretty dog and I thought it might not be a bad idea to try something different. But just got a call that they had to let it go to another person as we had equally good applications and they had applied first. BUT, a lady in poor health is having to turn in 2 golden retrievers as she can't care for them anymore. A one year old male and a 3 year old female. Suppose to be purebreds but she didn't think the owner had them registered. So we will see when I get the pictures. She said she will try to go out and get pictures of them today. They are outside dogs but I would think they could easily adapt to being inside too. I doubt I would adopt both, but know a couple that had 2 of their 3 Golden's die last year so I know they are looking for one too. So might work out for both of us.

So will wait for the pictures to be emailed and go from there. My nephew is looking into a pretty 1 year old black lab for me in his town. I love those too. So choices choices........what to do?:confused: All I know is I want another furry friend. Not a replacement for Birdie, just a new friend for the future.

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
I know exactly how lonely you are right now. After Sam passed, I felt like I'd lost a limb...I was lost, lonely, and out of sorts. It sounds like you might have lucked into a good match for yourself and your friend. I hope everything works out and you have the company of a warm furry friend again very soon.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
YEA for you. I know Birdie is up there arranging just the perfect match for her Dad. Big hugs.... we'll be anxiously awaiting some pics.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Goldens are my first love followed by black labs. There was a black lab near us that had the most beautiful coat I had ever seen. I'm sure which ever dog you choose will be the perfect friend.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
I think you should play with the idea of keeping them both. It would be awesome if they could stay together. I have only had one golden in my life but I am so in love with this one, I plan on getting only goldens from now on. If it isn't broke, don't fix it!! It will be hard for them to leave their person as it is, and you know what's better than 1 golden? That's right!! 2 goldens. My advice is don't let someone pick out a dog for you. When you meet your future dog, you will know it in your heart. Don't rush to fill the void - your next perfect dog is out there waiting for you.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
I think it's a good idea. And if willing take both. I know that might not be possible.
I think you might have a better chance if you say I'll take them both and maybe you can have them visit the owner.

It's so sad that seniors have to giveup pets, when this happens the health of the senior tends to decline more. And don't worry if you can't take one or two or whatever. When the fit is right you pretty much know.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
MSdogs

Msdogs

I can ONLY IMAGINE how lonely you are and I am so VERY HAPPY to see you are looking to rescue a Golden Ret. or a Lab.

If you get the pics of the two Golden Rets and you can please take both.

If you don't have luck, please check out Gulf South Golden Ret. Rescue and J&L GOlden Ret. rescue in Alabama and all of the GOlden Ret. rescues out by you!!!

http://www.grca-nrc.org/localrescues.html

·
Retired bum..........
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think you should play with the idea of keeping them both. It would be awesome if they could stay together. I have only had one golden in my life but I am so in love with this one, I plan on getting only goldens from now on. If it isn't broke, don't fix it!! It will be hard for them to leave their person as it is, and you know what's better than 1 golden? That's right!! 2 goldens. My advice is don't let someone pick out a dog for you. When you meet your future dog, you will know it in your heart. Don't rush to fill the void - your next perfect dog is out there waiting for you.
I've thought about 2 and although you have double the love you also have double the expense. And just slipping off to go out of town becomes even more difficult. Some people don't mind keeping one dog for you but 2 is asking a lot. Not ruling it out but not sure 2 is the right thing for me.

Oh, I'm not having my nephew pick out a dog for me. I found this black lab on a website from a rescue group that just happens to be in his town. I am having him take a look to verify the dogs size and personality. I'm 2.5 hours from there so just doing a little research before making the drive. Below is a pic of the lab.

No pics of the goldens yet. But going to check those out for sure.:)

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
MSdogs

Msdogs

What a pretty boy the Lab is!!!
Does he have a name?
When is your nephew going to see him?

·
Retired bum..........
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Msdogs

What a pretty boy the Lab is!!!
Does he have a name?
When is your nephew going to see him?
Micah is the dogs name. I don't know the history on the dog so not sure if that is the original name or one the rescue group assigned him. My nephew is suppose to go by tomorrow. They were closed today.

I think he is a good looking lab too. If the golden retriever pics come in looking good(and they probably will), it's going to be a tough decision. I haven't been approved at the lab's rescue group yet, but can't see why I wouldn't. The Golden's rescue has approved me.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I know all too well how empty a house can be without your beloved pet meeting you at the door. I lasted only two weeks myself after loosing my Arby to lymphoma before bringing Oakly home. It was the best thing to ease the pain. I found the personalities so different that I never caught myself making comparisons. Also since Oakly was a puppy I was too busy spend much time stewing over my loss.

·
Retired bum..........
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Well I went with the black lab. Drove to the coast today for a meeting/interview and was very pleased with what I saw. I had to have the lab. Weighs 71lbs and still has a good bit of puppy in her. But he slept the entire 2.5 hour drive home. I think we will make good buddies.

Never did hear from the other rescue group concerning the golden retrievers. Wouldn't return my calls either. I don't enjoy doing business with people like that. But I will get another Golden one day. I just think the black lab will be a nice change of pace right now. I do plan to hang around the forum. Hopefully I won't be frowned on by going with a different breed. They are cousins anyway.:p:

·
Mom to 9 :)
2,383 Posts
Congratulations and would love to see more pictures of her. I have other breeds other than my two goldens and have always felt welcome here - please stay and let us watch ???? play!

·
Premium Member
18,595 Posts
That is a Black beauty for sure. Please do stay around and let us enjoy watching her grow. The only requirement to be here is that you love dogs, I think you qualify!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts