Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone else ever had this 'problem'.

I bought a digital scale last year and have had a really hard time falling in love with it. But I'm so tired of my balance beam scale...always have to balance it out @ zero before weighing. What a pain.

But the digital scale couldn't possibly be accurate when it weighs me the same 3 DAYS IN A ROW, right to the tenth of a pound. I thought maybe it was remembering the last weight so I had Penny's Dad hop on and then I got on. Nope his was different from mine and mine was the same as before. I don't think there's a woman alive who weighs EXACTLY the same for more than 1 hour in a row, let alone 3 days. And it never weighed me with a .odd number pound. It was always .even number: .4 or .6 or .8; never .5 or .3! Then.....

I moved it into the closet for the party. A tile floor in the bathroom where it had been --to a wood floor in the closet. Now it weighs me differently everytime I step on. I was down a bit before the party, and then in keeping with my indulgences I was up 3 pounds after. THIS, I feel, is accurate. I'm happy and finally am falling in love with my scale...not the numbers :( tho. Gotta keep working on that!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have a scale on tile floor and it shows I weigh the same more than a few days in a row. I never thought much of it, i weigh myself at the same time each day (right away in the morning before eating anything) so I wouldn't expect to see much of a difference. Plus, my scale only does even tenths (.2,.4,.6..etc) so it would take an extra 700 calories to make the number go up (1/5 a pound) which won't happen over the course of a normal day...if I do overeat by a lot then yes the scale shows the next day.

Now that it's on the wood floor, how much of a difference is it showing each time? Are you weighing yourself at the same time each day that you weighed yourself on the tile floor?

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always fluctuate a couple of pounds so up by 3 after the party was expected. Down 1 1/2 today is expected. I will all come back off when I return to my regular diet. My weight never holds steady: I either gain or loose. It has never stayed at the same weight every day.

The tenth of a pound thing is funny because Penny's Dad only gets odd numbered tenths...like it knows he's male???:wavey:

I wonder if the cold of the tile had something to do with it.

And yes, my weigh-in protocol is the same everyday.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I have 3 scales--all on tile floors--every one of them gives me a different reading. I finally found out my digital scale was the closest to my gynecologist, my zero balance scale closet to my internist (also a zero balance scale) and my regular step on scale with a dial and pointer is closest to my gastro doc. They are all within 2 lbs of one another. I just average out and if one is higher, I assume they all will be.. I need to weigh, but know exactly what it's going to say after eating fudge....:eek:

·
Registered
233 Posts
I need to weigh, but know exactly what it's going to say after eating fudge....:eek:

haha, I am pretty much going to avoid the scale for the next 2 weeks for this same reason:). My weight will go back to normal when i start eating normally again...but between pig out day at work tomorrow (everyone brings a dish to share), christmas with my immediate family on thursday and extended family christmas on sunday I don't want to know what the scale will say next monday!

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Enjoy!!! I wish I was that lucky, weight wise. I could easily gain 10-15 or even 20 pounds before Jan. 3 and it wouldn't go back to normal without strict dieting. :( I have to diet and keep a lid on calories every day!

haha, I am pretty much going to avoid the scale for the next 2 weeks for this same reason:). My weight will go back to normal when i start eating normally again...but between pig out day at work tomorrow (everyone brings a dish to share), christmas with my immediate family on thursday and extended family christmas on sunday I don't want to know what the scale will say next monday!

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I've heard of scales being off when used on carpet, but not on tile. I know flat is best. Maybe your scale was slightly tilted?

We bought a new scale a while back because our old scale was so far from what the doctor's scales were saying. Turned out the old scale was low by 7 lbs. That hurt.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ouch!! That's a rude awakening at the doctor's!!

I've heard of scales being off when used on carpet, but not on tile. I know flat is best. Maybe your scale was slightly tilted?

We bought a new scale a while back because our old scale was so far from what the doctor's scales were saying. Turned out the old scale was low by 7 lbs. That hurt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts