Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past week or so, Bailey has been getting these little bump/scab like things all over her inner thigh... It seems like some of it is dirt? But as you can see, once washed away, the skin below seems rather raw! She doesn't seem to be overly concerned, and isn't trying to get at it really...

What do you think this is? I'm 99% it is NOT bug-bites, due to the time of year and the fact that we have never seen a bug on her nor Burg...

Actually, just as I'm typing this, DH found some of these scabs on her sides as well - as she has been scratching her sides a lot lately... :( Poor girl!!

Any and all advice really appreciated!

(We're both off work tomorrow so if we need to, we can take her to the vet - but I wanted your advice first)

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
My first thought is maybe a staph infection? That's what it looked like when Vito had one. His was on his thighs and back.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Staph was my guess, too.

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That was my initial thought too, based on my limited knowledge and just being on this forum way too much - I wanted to see what others thought... What is the normal course of action that we should take now?

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I think it is staph infection too. Probably will need some antibiotics and microtek shampoo. You can get the shampoo usually at places that sell horse stuff.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Yup, round of antibiotics should clear it up. Vito was on Cephalexin. I also second Carol on getting some sort of medicated shampoo. :)

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I too think it looks like Staff. My friends Lab had staff...looked very much the same. As others have said, she was on antibiotics and a special shampoo as well to bathe her in. Probably the same shampoo that Carole mentioned. I hope she is better soon.

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys - I hope she gets better soon too!!

What causes a staph infection? And can Burg "catch" it??

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
Thanks guys - I hope she gets better soon too!!

What causes a staph infection? And can Burg "catch" it??
Aww, poor Bailey! I think Molson had a similar thing on his thighs when he was around 5 months old. We took him to the vet for it and they had no idea what it was, and it ended up going away on its own after a week or two.

From what I understand, staph infections are a bacterial infection (as oppsed to fungal) and should be treated by an antibiotic, so if you go to the vet they will likely prescribe you some sort of oral medication, but if you decide to hold off and just get a medicated shampoo for now, you need to make sure you get an anti-bacterial one as opposed to an anti-fungal one.

I don't think that staph infections are contagious

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
when Brooks had that as a puppy, it was diagnosed as juvenile pyoderma. He was put on antibiotics. I've noticed that the "purpleness" of the spots really shows up better when photographed than when seen with the naked eye!

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
when Brooks had that as a puppy, it was diagnosed as juvenile pyoderma. He was put on antibiotics. I've noticed that the "purpleness" of the spots really shows up better when photographed than when seen with the naked eye!
I can't really tell from your post, but are u suggesting this might be what bailey has?

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Just got back from the vet, he took a tissue sample from one of the scabs and examined it under the microscope and said that he was able to rule out staph or any other serious bacterial infection - but that he believes it is a bacterial infection nonetheless. That was a relief...however we obviously need to treat whatever she does have.

He gave us the medication that you guys mentioned to treat Staph anyway, Cephalexin - she will take 2x500mg tablets twice a day - as well, he prescribed Novo-prednisone, 5mg/day for 5 days and then 5mg every other day. AS WELL - he prescribed her Fuciderm gel to be applied topically twice a day. I think that any bacteria in her doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell of surviving...

Does all of this sound good to you all?? We've given her the pills tonight but are holding off on the ointment until tomorrow, we want to hear about others experiences with it. It says on the box "Topical treatment of surface pyoderma in dogs" - which is what Ignutah mentioned earlier as well...

ETA: Just a FYI, the total cost of the visit, examination of tissue and all 3 medications for $230...Not too too bad IMO...

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
Looks like she will be better in no time!! :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
FYI, with that much antibiotics, make sure you start feeding Bailey some pumpkin and/or yogurt or the dog enzyme digestive aids to help keep her poop firmed up.

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We have always given them acidophilus daily. After the antibiotics are done, I will probably double up the probiotics for Bailey, to get that good bacteria flourishing again! I'm not too sure if I should continue her on it WHILE on the antibiotics, because the good bacteria will be killed as well, and we want the meds to focus on the bad :) The pumpkin however, is an excellent idea, and I think we will add that to her dinner, she will thank you!

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
*Bumping up for opinions on Fuciderm gel*

1 - 18 of 18 Posts